Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    My experiences with hammocks and AT shelters have been that many do not suitable tie-off points. Last summer, there was one night that several of us had hammocks and wanted to hang inside out of the frequent rain showers. Fortunately for me, I arrived first that day, had first dibs, and found sufficient tie-outs. In the Smokies, some of the shelters in which I slept (sort of), there were chain-link fences and just no way to hang so I ended up on the floor, more waiting for the night to be over than sleeping.

I suggest that you check the regs wherever you travel. In some areas you can hang/camp wherever you wish, in others, you must be within or outside of a certain distance from shelters or only in designated campsites. For the Smokies, you may do well to stick to campsites. When in those, I found trees for hanging easily enough.

Rosaleen
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosaleen View Post
    My experiences with hammocks and AT shelters have been that many do not suitable tie-off points.
    Most excellent point!

I don't think I saw any shelters on the AT that wouldn't accommodate one hanger, usually two. Beyond that, the hang spots can get pretty scarce. Most importantly, be ABSOLUTELY SURE of what you are attaching to. I took a very bad fall (in the Smokies as luck would have it) one night because I didn't pay attention; stupid hurts! I had one end tied to what 'looked' like a support beam. In reality, it was a large board held in place with two 16 penny nails. The nails held until 12:31AM (if memory serves). I must have shifted in my hammock and when I did, the footend of the hammock fell. The headend stayed attached, creating a pivot point. I was then slammed into the edge of the lower sleeping deck from a height of about 4-5'. It hurt, I screamed (it was legendary), and thought my hike was done. Twenty-four miles from the nearest ANYTHING. Got lucky that there was a hiker there with a couple of Perkies and that a couple of section hikers were willing to carry my pack to the next shelter in the morning. I limped about 5 miles to the next shelter and kept moving through the Smokies. Lucky, nothing but lucky.

It was a terribly painful lesson, but I learned it very well. Pay attention to what you are hanging from. You'll be tired, hungry, and ready to tell campfire lies, but don't rush setting up. Especially in the shelters!

BTW, the shelters are much colder for a hammock IMO. I was able to get much better wind blockage with hillsides and my tarp. The nights I spent in the shelters were among the coldest nights in my hammock. Just sayin...
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40degree quilts
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    It may be much too late to help, I have not been on the site much but I did a trip very similar to the one that was mapped out and a trip report can be found here.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=18679

We hammocked both nights on the AT one just outside the shelter and one in the shelter. Great trip and a great place to spend a few days.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    John Muir

“I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.”
    John Muir

Hammock
    WBBB dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly/Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Strap or Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by smashdn View Post
    Lyttle Bryan,

Is that a computer program that you have on your comp that generated that loop info or is it floating free on the web somewhere?
    If I'm not mistaken, that's the software program Topo from National Geographic. http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=...17&rnid=172526

But if Lyttle answers, take his word.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double layer
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba Spin
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Wash4
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Good luck with campsite 35 it was never reopened from last year due to bear activity. It seems the same sites get closed down every year in late spring/early summer not to reopen until the first snows.
    You have nothing to fear but fear itself (and bears)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Bad MahambaJamba
    Insulation
    Grizzly bag pad
    Suspension
    Webbing straps
    Ok, please excuse my ignorance here, but this is the first I've heard about hammocks being "illegal" anywhere. All I can assume, is it might have something to do with damage to park trees, but I'm not certain. Could someone elaborate, as I am totally unaware of this.
    "Are you gonna eat that?"

Dain Bramage videos at

http://www.youtube.com/user/FatDaddy4Fun?feature=mhum

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dain Brammage View Post
    Ok, please excuse my ignorance here, but this is the first I've heard about hammocks being "illegal" anywhere. All I can assume, is it might have something to do with damage to park trees, but I'm not certain. Could someone elaborate, as I am totally unaware of this.
    you could add "and tenting" after the word hammocking in the previous posts. there are rules in the smokies and other parks. it has to do with keeping campers in designated areas.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Bad MahambaJamba
    Insulation
    Grizzly bag pad
    Suspension
    Webbing straps
    Ah! Keeping the sheeple coraled...I see. Another instance of officials forgeting, that these lands belong to the people, and they work for us. I understand the conservancy aspects, and that not all who venture there are as responsible with their footprints as we hangers are. But forbidding people to go into the untamed zones just makes them want to go there all the more. lol.

As far as the trees go, I am looking for a product,(or I'll make my own) to place between the tree and my webbing. Should be a pretty simple task, and reflects well on hangers. Years ago, I used Hot Wheels track when rappeling, and tieing off to trees.
    "Are you gonna eat that?"

Dain Bramage videos at

http://www.youtube.com/user/FatDaddy4Fun?feature=mhum

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dain Brammage View Post
    Some parks have rules against tying anything to the trees, least of all yourself. While most here are very diligent about using tree straps, many parks aren't aware of how safe hammock camping can be, and will apply the letter of the law rather then check to see if you're actually doing any harm. I've heard state parks in my area (North Carolina) have such a rule on the books and that it's a mixed bag as to whether or not a ranger will tell you to take down your tent.

Hammock
    byer traveller lite
    Tarp
    etowah outfitters
    Insulation
    Kelty Down SB 20F
    Suspension
    straps & biners
    Quote Originally Posted by mayday View Post
    The regs are straightforward bout hammocking at a shelter in GSM:

1. Got to have a backcountry permit
    2. Must stay at a campsite or shelter
    3. You may only stay outside the shelter if the shelter is full
    4. Permit is not required if you are a through hiker
    I have hammocked in the Mt Leconte shelter on the bottom so technically I followed these rules. Took only 10 minutes to figure out how to do it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast