Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Suspension
    Custom

don't hate the noob :)

So as I mentioned in my introduction thread, I am going to Costa Rica. I am planning for April 1st - May 12th and will be backpacking through jungles, on beaches, down to Bocas Del Toro, Panama. My goal is to mostly sleep in the hammock instead of hostels to keep costs down and make the trip that much more exciting.

April-May is the start of the wet season and is why I've chosen to buy a Clark with the climate shield. I need the security of being able to stay dry if the rainy weather gets crazy. I have yet to fully decide on which model because they are expensive and you want to make the right choice. I've never slept in a hammock before and I am 'siked' to do so.

Is the only difference between the nx200-250 the tent pole option? Do these hammocks really weigh under 4 lbs? Are there any suspension methods for faster hanging and taking down already made out there or do you make them yourselves? I've done a lot of searching and seen people using biners or dutch clips but I don't see anywhere to buy them and my sewing skills aren't great. I'm looking to learn as much as I can as I will be by myself on this journey and can't afford to mess up.

Again I've been searching the forums and most of this stuff is probably asked but I can't find the answers I am looking for. Thanks for any responses in advance!

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Hey Wicked:
    I have the NX-200. Clark is offering a strap system with their hammocks now, they were not when I ordered mine. I changed suspensions out for Cinch Buckles (onrope1.com) and 1" polyester straps (Strapsworks.com). I think now you can get this whole set up from Arrowhead Equipment.com, look in the store section (http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...ategory/270327). Paul, the owner, is a great guy and a member of the forum.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    second on AHE paul will set you up.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'm not up on the Clarks, but some others here are. I will ask about two things though, that might help guide you in your decision.
    What are the expected temperatures & mosquito activity in Costa Rica at the beginning of the wet season.
    If the "Weather Shield" is an extra layer around the hammock it's self, I'd be wondering about dealing w/ heat & humidity being more of a problem.

Just my thoughts but I'm thinking you are indeed going to need a hammock w/ a built in bug net (Clarke, HH, Warbonnet, or The Switchback), but instead of extra layers of hammock, I would want better ventilation & treat the hammock w/ Permetherin to keep the mosquitoes at bay.
    Last edited by slowhike; 01-28-2010 at 20:49.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Suspension
    Custom
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    I'm not up on the Clarks, but some others here are. I will ask about two things though, that might help guide you in your decision.
    What are the expected temperatures & mosquito activity in Costa Rica at the beginning of the wet season.
    If the "Weather Shield" is an extra layer around the hammock it's self, I'd be wondering about dealing w/ heat & humidity being more of a problem.

Just my thoughts but I'm thinking you are indeed going to need a hammock w/ a built in bug net (Clarke, HH, Warbonnet, or The Switchback), but instead of extra layers of hammock, I would want better ventilation & treat the hammock w/ Permetherin to keep the mosquitoes at bay.

Well I understand the thoughts on temperature, etc, but like it was brought to my attention it is better to by a universal hammock rather than one for warm climates. The NX-200 and 250 are 4 season. The climate shield will add protective measures when in torrential downpours and the wind blowing sideways as well as add warmth for colder seasons. I can add/remove the weather shield. I think its worth the extra and have one hammock I can take everywhere and its American made. I hear the HH isn't (couldn't prove it on their site and they never responded to that question).

Thanks for all the info guys. It makes it easier.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Well, that's good reasoning. I wasn't thinking about the weather shield being removable.
    And yeah, "Made In The USA" is a good thing!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedwayz View Post
    backpacking through jungles, on beaches, down to Bocas Del Toro, Panama.

April-May is the start of the wet season and is why I've chosen to buy a Clark with the climate shield. I need the security of being able to stay dry if the rainy weather gets crazy. I have yet to fully decide on which model because they are expensive and you want to make the right choice. I've never slept in a hammock before and I am 'siked' to do so.

Is the only difference between the nx200-250 the tent pole option? Do these hammocks really weigh under 4 lbs? Are there any suspension methods for faster hanging and taking down already made out there or do you make them yourselves? I've done a lot of searching and seen people using biners or dutch clips but I don't see anywhere to buy them and my sewing skills aren't great. I'm looking to learn as much as I can as I will be by myself on this journey and can't afford to mess up.

!
    Where I live it's hot and humid during most of the year (we've actually had a winter season this year!!!). When deciding which hammock, I went with the Tropical and my friend decided on the NA. I've been able to get into the NA during the summer and with no added insulation on the bottom, the NA is MUCH warmer than my Tropical. Those added pockets on the bottom, even if nothing is in them, will keep more heat inside the hammock. Therefore I was very happy to get back into my much cooler hammock. Now if you need more heat in the hammock, you'll need more insulation on the Tropical than what the NA will require.
    About the skeeter's.... The Clarks do not need to be treated with any kind of spray or stuff like that to keep the skeeters off. I've been in skeeter infested woods, where you couldn't stand still due to all the skeeter's biting you. They totally covered my hammock but none were able to bite me through the material. (except the no-see-um netting, don't put your arm on it during the night!!!)
    Suppensions for hanging the Clark... I've changed out the ropes for Amsteel, dropped a couple of ounces doing that. But the Clark rope works just fine too, it's just kind of stiff when you first get it. Use the Clark tree straps. (I made my straps using Mule Tape) And make sure you watch the Clark video on using the drip rings to do the suppension tie up. It works like a charm and you don't have to buy anything more or add anything more to the suppension.
    About the weathershield: If you get the Tropical, make sure you order the optional weathershield. It's come in very handy. One time I didn't pack enough top covers and just closing the weathershield, I slept warm anyways. I've used it to shield out blowing rain. It acts as an extra layer to keep rain off me.
    One of the main things I like about the Tropical is that the head end is vented (covered with no-see-um) but with a layer of silnylon that can be opened or closed. If you're gonna be in hot, humid conditions with skeeters, I personally wanted the hammock to be as open feeling as I could get but still be closed up to not get bitten by the skeeters.
    I've also been in rain deluges and stayed completely dry. I've found the only problem was when I'd get up. The tarp was staked down like a taco and I just could not get in and out of the hammock without touching the tarp and getting wet. Get the largest tarp you can!!! Or don't get a Clark tarp but order one of the large cat tarps from one of people who make them here on this forum. Since you're gonna be dealing with a lot of rain, you'll be needing to have a tarp that you can work under comfortably (cooking food, hanging out, setting up your hammock out of the rain)
    And after you get your hammock, practice, practice, practice!!!
    TinaLouise

I was having the same thoughts as SlowHike when I read your post and then continued down the page. First of all, What an awesome sounding trip! You will definitely need to post a trip report when that is done!

But back to your questions. Like Slowhike, I wonder whether you'd really use the weather shield. Does it fully come off or just tuck away? I think you'd be really hot and stuffy inside if you were using it in Panama. Your at the freeking equator (almost)! If you are worried about coverage from wind and rain, you'd be better with a larger tarp than those that come with the Clark. I (briefly) had a Clark NA. Unless they have changed, I found the setup painful and the tarp undersized. Also keep in mind that all hammocks are pretty much "universal". It's the insulation that changes much more than the hammock itself. And the downside of having a hammock that "does it all" is that you "carry it all" regardless of the climate/season/bugs. If weight is less of a concern, then modularity is also less of a concern.

My thoughts (if I were lucky enough to be going on such a trip) would be to get a lighter, more open hammock where I could stay cool, with good bug protection, and a larger tarp (my preference is a WB superfly with doors--love that tarp and can't think of a situation where it would be "too much", but there are many other good "fuller coverage" tarps) that can be closed down in heavy rain, or tied out wider to allow air circulation and provide ground coverage for cooking, etc. Then when I were forced to return to my real life (Wisconsin-Brrrrrr), I could add underquilts, topquilts, weathershields (for cold!) as needed.

Merely my $0.02. Not even sure it's worth that much...

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Suspension
    Custom
    hey Tina

Thank you for the advice, and you have made me not consider the 4 season. I agree that it will make it warmer. Maybe I'll consider the TX200 with weather shield. Thanks again

Edit: Hey Ber,

My apologies as I didn't see your post until now. The weather shield is an added security for me personally, and probably only adds 8oz. I'd rather be prepared than not be. I am probably going to steer away from the 4 season as it is a great idea but probably not practical in my world as where I won't camp in weather under 30 f.

This trip is getting more exciting. Yesterday I ordered my Arcteryx Bora 80 liter pack, and about 400 dollars of gear from LL Bean. I am so excited and will definitely post pictures and what not. Also I will take a video or pictures of the hammock in action and how I end up setting it up. Hammocks are so much more ideal than tents, especially in an area filled with lots of wildlife and rain!
    Last edited by wickedwayz; 01-29-2010 at 11:21.

• + New Posts