Thread: Noisy Fabric

Noisy Fabric

Trying to understand what is the source of noise in certain fabric.

I am finished making a DIY pillow using Ion fabric and Climashield and whenever something is brushed on the pillow, it makes some noise - which a traditional cotton pillow would not do.

What is the source of this?
    Are there UL materials noisier than others?

Minos

PS: I also realized that Climashield is not the right construction: I'll have to put a lot of it, for the pillow not to collapse under the weight of my head. So much, that in the end it is bulky and not that compressible ad light (makes sense) for UL backpacking.

I guess the best engineering solution is to insert an air-field Neo Air pillow in a sleeve on the back of a pillow filled with down or climashield. Insulation (CS or down) on its own is not sufficient, unless stuffed tightly and therefore not lightweight, at least for pillows make for sleeping on the ground. In a hammock, these are probably good enough.
    Last edited by Minos; 08-06-2017 at 09:43.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Climashield and UL backpacking are on the opposite ends of the spectrum. While it's not considered UL I would never go camping without my Nemo Fillo.. It has a layer of soft memory foam and inflates. I own a lot of pillows but this one is the most comfortable I've found to date that doesn't collapse under the weight of my head.

Here are some reviews on some of the better camping pillows.
    http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics...camping-pillow
    Last edited by TrailSlug; 08-06-2017 at 12:04.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Climashield and UL backpacking are on the opposite ends of the spectrum. While it's not considered UL I would never go camping without my Nemo Fillo.. It has a layer of soft memory foam and inflates. I own a lot of pillows but this one is the most comfortable I've found to date that doesn't collapse under the weight of my head.

Here are some reviews on some of the better camping pillows.
    http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics...camping-pillow
    Yes and no. You can always afford a little bit of luxury even if UL. I am not speaking of a quilt, but merely of a pillow.
    Plus, not gonna try down -which would end up with same deficiencies- for my first DIY!

Anyway, back to the topic:
    Without having to try them one by one, how to find out whether a / what physical properties have fabrics that are noisy when you lay your ear over them? Not easy to explain: fabric is very soft and smooth but there is this little cringing noise as soon as you brush something over the pillow that gets annoying especially for a pillow when the ear lays directly on top of it (stomach/side sleeper here)
    Minos

Anyone with insights about a UL fabric that I could use to make a pillow / pillowcase?
    For stomach-sleepers and side-sleepers with the ear directly on the fabric at night, some fabrics are really noisy and prevent from falling asleep.

I tried ION and that thing is really noisy i.e. lots of crinkle as soon as my head / pillow move a pinch. Anything out these that would be as silent as a cotton pillow cover?

• + New Posts