WB RR
    Tarp
    SLD WH
    Insulation
    MH 0 Bag/LL 0 RR
    Suspension
    STRAPS

LONG TERM TARP HANGING

Was wondering if any of you hang your tarp for long terms, e.g. 6-8 weeks at a time? I'm considering it since that part of my property is in a wooded area that contributes to a lot of shade, not 100% but quite a bit, and the tarp's fabric is SilPoly. More than likely if I were to follow through with the idea it would be during the late summer, fall and winter periods. What do you think, or have experience with?

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Go for it. We buy this equipment to use and many would like to hang continuously for a few months. I do remember reading a year or so ago about someone that did this and the tarp lasted a lot longer than I thought it would but I can't remember if it was a silNylon or silPoly tarp nor can I remember how long it was left out. Hopefully someone else has a better memory than I.

Hammock
    Ol' ugly
    Tarp
    Hanger12/ DIYasym
    Insulation
    Bandit/Pheonix
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    I thought it was about 5 or 6 months and if my rattle can is working I thought it was a Wal-Mart blue tarp. I would think with it being checked periodically you would be fine.
    Where the trail ends the adventure begins!

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    I always have a tarp hung on my property. I have a Warbonnet Silnylon Cloudburst that probably has around 700-1000 days outside and a HG Silpoly Quest that has about 80 days. Both are holding up great other than stains and discoloration. The Cloudburst was olive brown when I got it. Now I would call the color "pollen".

Hammock
    WarBonnett Traveler Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down Baby, Down!
    Suspension
    1" Webbing
    I would think that a Walmart/Home Depot, Big Blue, tarp would be the way to go for an extended deployment. it's cheap and could be easily/cheaply replaced if/when it went south. Keep "The Good Stuff" for camping and hiking. But that's just me.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-a-Sac View Post
    I would think that a Walmart/Home Depot, Big Blue, tarp would be the way to go for an extended deployment. it's cheap and could be easily/cheaply replaced if/when it went south. Keep "The Good Stuff" for camping and hiking. But that's just me.
    That's what I would do, but use the green or brown instead for some aesthetic value

Amazon, Ollie's and Tractor Supply were places I've found green and/or brown.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Go to tarpsonline for every conceivable color, including camo.

I tried this. Be aware that poly tarps are not fabric, but more like a plastic sheet. Sewing this stuff has the effect of perforating it. "Tear here" comes to mind. Further, duct tape doesn't always stick. Gorilla tape might do better.

Tyvek might be a better choice, since tape adheres to it readily, but it has no uv resistance. Choices.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by Half-a-Sac View Post
    I am in agreement here! I had my good tarp up in my home setup--my daily outdoor bedroom but I got a cheap blue tarp--well mine is brown--for the daily usage and save the good tarp for the woods. My only issue has been it is MUCH louder in the rain--but a cheap pair of earplugs did the trick for me and I sleep great out in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I had my lightweight tarp up for 3 months or so in the backyard, but decided to get a cheaper canvas tarp for this purpose. I'm sure the high-end tarps will hold up well for a long time. I think somebody had a Superfly up in their backyard for 3 or 4 years until it failed. But I prefer to save money if I can do so without major drawbacks. I got my silnylon tarps for hiking and travelling, when weight is an issue. At home I only need the weather protection; the weight is not important. A canvas tarp is heavy, but more robust, cheaper than lightweight tarps, and it provides even better weather protection (because it also works well as a sunshade).

• + New Posts