Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Possibly, but you also run into the limitations of Climashield at some point also
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1" PloyPro Straps
    If I was going to change one thing about a flat UQ, it would be to make the ends slightly "convex" or curved out, Figure A below. This would give you a bit more coverage under your feet and head in the event that the quilt does shift to one end or the other. Not a big issue since the Long New River still is longer than my 5'10" body but that little mod could make some difference. Of course, since I've never made an UQ, that little mod could really complicate production

Something like so

What happens now is what you see in figure B. By putting a convex radius on the ends of the quilt I believe you would end up with something like Figure C when it's cinched up.
    Last edited by cavscout; 01-29-2010 at 12:02.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    jbo c, I ordered The Burrow from Stormcrow and initially when ordreding it I asked him for a rectangular TQ for many of the same reasons that you are stating. I wanted it to be versitle enough for summer and warm enough for winter use. By being able to open it up completly but in the winter have it closed off. What Stormcrow explained to me was that by not having a sewn in foot box, when it is closed off during the winter then you will have to much air flow in the foot box so it wont keep you as warm, but if it is fitted, then the down snuggles up against your feet creating warmth. In the summer I will just take my feet out of the foot box. Also I am figureing that for really warm weather I will just use a fleece liner from a sleeping bag paired with my Winter Ptarmigan and hope that gets me down to the 50's. Remember most of your warmth comes from the under insulation. So I went with the sew in foot box (as per Stormcrow's advice) so when I winter camp I will have ultimate warmth, and in summer and really warm months ill use a fleece blanket or a light claimshield quilt of some sorts. HOpe this helps, I know some of these decisions are hard to make. Makes you want to buy one of everything from every vendor
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    More good points - the limitations of the CS being particularly so.

Now I'm back to leaning toward plain rectangle. It's a wonder I don't get sea sick.

Jbo

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UL and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I have been down to 9 degrees with a CCF pad from Wallyworld. Wearing polypro base layer with a fleece pants and top and wool socks and liner. Nice and warm with my 20degree down bag.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cavscout View Post
    If I was going to change one thing about a flat UQ...
    I'm thinking of doing the same thing with a hammock. Couldn't cutting the ends on a full curve, just like you drew, eliminate the cut-across-the-leg syndrome?
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    I'm thinking of doing the same thing with a hammock. Couldn't cutting the ends on a full curve, just like you drew, eliminate the cut-across-the-leg syndrome?
    My thoughts, too.

I was thinking sort of a cat cut, to get a more equal distribution of the load.

The downside is, It will probably wrap you up pretty tight. A bridge, with no spreader bars.

A diagonal lay might be hard to come by, but then, you might not need one.

Interesting.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Images
    i don't think that will do what you're hoping. you'll basically get the same results you get from shortening the sides like ed does in the whip stage.

Hammock
    SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1" PloyPro Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    I'm not sure. I have CALS in my SB Pro and had thought about solving it by making the center shallower by essentially making the ends concave instead of convex. This would make me have to line up the long outer edges with the shorter inner edge to gather it and in effect make the edges looser and the center taught-er and shallower. If the above makes no sense, that's why I've not executed my evil plan on my hammock yet

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i don't think that will do what you're hoping. you'll basically get the same results you get from shortening the sides like ed does in the whip stage.
    You are exactly right! That's just what it did. The sides are very tall. There is a significant belly in the foot and head, before you get inside, but it disappears when you load the hammock.

I cut the material 60"X10.5' and put about a 6" deep full cut on each end.

Here is is with Thing1 inside... she's about 5'6" tall, and is swallowed up! In the last 2 pics, she is sitting up...

I do like a long hammock, though!

P.S. There is no cut across the leg... but I think that is because the hammock is long!

P.P.S. You could put velcro on the side edges, and make a sock hammock with this thing!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MacEntyre; 02-03-2010 at 17:58.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast