Interest in a website that tracks good hammock sites?

I posted this question on Reddit first, since I haven't posted on these forums yet, although I found them invaluable when selecting my underquilts and tarps. The feedback on Reddit was great, but it was suggested that I post here to get more/better feedback.

I've recently been trying to figure out which state parks (Wisconsin) have good sites for at least 3 hammocks. I've found the only way I've been able to get this info is to search for each park specifically and read various forums until I find some recommendations. Even then it's tricky, since trees can fall down or rules can change.

I'm a web programmer by trade and have put together some pretty popular websites, and I've considered making one for hammock camping sites. A site like this would only be useful if enough people used it and submitted info, so I don't really want to put the effort in without gauging interest, so here I am.

My thought is that when someone stays at a campground, they could go to the website and enter the specific site they stayed at, give an estimate of how many hammocks can be comfortably hung, provide additional info if desired, and even upload a photo of the site. They could also add info for the campground itself as to hammock-related rules. The basic info about each campground, including reservation links, would be populated by the site.

I'd also allow people to add sites by latitude/longitude, since not all areas have numbered campsites on official campgrounds. These could possibly be categorized as casual hanging spots vs full camping sites.

I know there are a lot of campsite reviews on these forums already, so I'd allow people to link to those reviews for each campsite (improving my site's data while crediting and giving traffic to the forums... I don't want to step on toes).

This info would all be searchable and browsable, and maybe I'd display the campgrounds on a map.

So, is there interest in something like this? I'm looking for negative feedback as well, or existing sites that already do this well (ie reasons I shouldn't make one). I have seen the spreadsheet with hammock-friendly campgrounds and will definitely make use of it myself, but I think going beyond that to campsite-specificity would be even more useful. Thanks!

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    There are many apps/sites that report campground and campsite specific info. Some have started adding hammock related info.

I generally like the idea but would avoid reinventing the wheel so perhaps, everage some of the existing systems.

Also, I personally would not be interested in someone else's (stranger) "estimate" of the number of hammocks supported without video and pics to back it up. I do use the "estimate" of experienced hammock campers and folks I know by reputation.

What I would find useful is distance between trees, tree diameter and tree/canopy condition.

Better yet, pics of hammocks in use.

Another general concern that is popping up more often is hanging "outside campsite limits" as many trees are outside the traditional tent footprint area. Then you run into trouble with park personnel.

So yes, it would be useful and there are some hurdles.

Throw up a website and see how it goes.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Butt In A Sling
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I second the idea of adding this info to the already popular camping websites. However, I realize then you don't have as much control, so maybe the only way to do it is with a separate site. It would definitely be useful either way.

Yeah, it would be nice if one of the big camping websites handled this, but it's hard to influence larger websites, and some of them are pretty poor to use. I also think that since photos are very important, it could be problematic putting those on a bigger camping website because they would get lost among any other non-hammock photos of the site. Good to note, though.

The tree distance, diameters, etc is interesting, but I'm not sure how many people would actually fill in that info. I've found from my main side project (see my username) that the more fields you have, the less likely people are to fill them in and keep them updated. Recording the canopy condition is pretty simple, though, and maybe I'll make a normal text area where tree measurements could be inserted for anyone that wants to do that.

Good info on the "outside campsite limits issue. I wonder if this could be handled through a combination of displaying the campground rules and specific info about a site (which trees/areas are off-limits). I was also worried about this with storing the latitude/longitude of unofficial sites, but we have some areas here in Wisconsin that allowing camping without specific sites being used (sand bar camping along the Wisconsin River, for example). I'd want to handle those, but I think that's absolutely something I need to be careful of.

Thanks for the great responses.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Also, I personally would not be interested in someone else's (stranger) "estimate" of the number of hammocks supported without video and pics to back it up
    Problem with any estimates along that line is that the numbers of available trees can change during the season due to storms taking out trees, the park service removing a tree for what ever reason, the idiots that chop down good trees ect.

On my forum I list all the state parks in North Carolina that I know have hammock friendly sites from having either visited the park and or hung there. One park, Stone Mt SP will even give you a list of all the hammock friendly sites if you let them know you are a hanger. I checked the list the last time I camped there and it was fairly accurate.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

If you made a site with a laser sharp focus on hammock camping I'd certainly be interested. Some good ideas have already been mentioned. I'm going to bookmark this thread and follow with interest anything that you can get up on the Web in the coming months.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

The fifty state project was a good start. Florida says they allow hammock camping, but only some campsites in some parks and only a phone call can verify if allowed. This is probably common to other states as well. If when reserving a specific site, there was a yes or no for hammock camping it would be helpful. Reserve America has pictures of campsites sometimes and from them it is possible sometimes to determine if there are suitable trees for hanging. Georgia is another state with hammock camping allowed but reports of some parks saying absolutely no have shown up on the internet.
    I would certainly look for information before reserving a site and the information would be nice to know if traveling.

Bob

Hammock
    Chameleon/Ridgerunner/Raven
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Some of my state parks have photos. I find them helpful, but not always great. I had one last year that looked awesome on the photos. It work but the trees were at the very edge of the site, almost in the woods. I have been lucky to avoid problems so far, but I am actually going to build a hammock stand just in case.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    TheTVDB~~ you might "interface" with our own ATtroll who runs this board.
    Maybe you could work up something that could fit right on here... like in the "Trip Reports" forum as a sub-page...
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Grundelore View Post
    TheTVDB~~ you might "interface" with our own ATtroll who runs this board.
    Maybe you could work up something that could fit right on here... like in the "Trip Reports" forum as a sub-page...
    Good suggestion. These forums are hosted on vBulletin, which isn't exactly the easiest to integrate with. It's likely far easier for me to write my own and then discuss with him how I can play nicely with the Trip Reports. Some website owners love when you link to their content (since it helps SEO and drives up hits), but others dislike it (because it can unnecessarily increase bandwidth/hosting costs). I'll send him a message once I'm done with my system (which is already in progress), so I don't step on any toes. Thanks.

• + New Posts