Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Suspension
    Straps and Rings

Hammock Weight Width and Length

I am getting ready to make a new hammock for my self. I am 6'3 and i am currently using a 58' wide by 10.5' hammock. Its is fairly comfortable but my knees still are hyper-extended a little more than I would like. I am also pushing up against the edge of the material and into the attached bug net. I plan on going to a 11' hammock but what should my width be? Is it better to go to a 12' hammock and standard width? I have also adjusted my ridge line in and out to help get a flat lay. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

My experience is that length is more important than width. There's probably a dirty joke in there somewhere. Why not make a wide 12 footer?

Quote Originally Posted by Dingletrut View Post
    My experience is that length is more important than width. There's probably a dirty joke in there somewhere. Why not make a wide 12 footer?
    Why not go crazy and try for a lucky 13 footer?

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk
    If you don't live life to the limit, how will you know when you overcome your own?

Images
    The more sag you have (shorter ridgeline), the more diagonal you will go, so on a narrower hammock you will run out of width.
    If you like a lot of sag, go for a wider hammock.
    Try the pillow/stuffsack under the knees trick for your hyperextension.

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    12x6 is what I choose for comfort. Only problems are need larger bugnet, larger tarp and bigger pack.
    Good luck in your choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    12x6 is what I choose for comfort. Only problems are need larger bugnet, larger tarp and bigger pack.
    Good luck in your choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So true on the larger tarp,bugnet, etc.... I had an Eno and an 11' winter dream tarp. Upgraded to a 11' Sheltowee Hammock Company Double Arch Hammock and now only have a few inches to spare under my tarp. Thinking about trying my hand in the DIY arena myself.....

Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Suspension
    Straps and Rings
    Thanks for the suggestions. I may go to 11.5' by 68" and try that. My current hammock is almost comfortable. meaning I can almost lay flat and almost not have my feet push on the bug netting

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    In my experience very wide is not worth the extra bulk and weight. If you don’t use the whole width its wasted. The best results I have with a “wide body rectangular hammock” is with a width around 62-64 inches. Anything over that is wasted on me. If hammock is shaped (cut) different I may go over 62-64 inches but that is a different story.
    Please also remember the fabric is a part of the design. If the fabric is too stretchy vs. your weight the hammock can feel shorter than it is. The reason is stretch can feel as a short ridge line but without the benefit of being able to lay more diagonal. Your but is actually “digging” a hole and the lower it goes the more impact it will have on your knees/legs. Fabric stretch evolves over time (hours) not in a 5 minutes test. Everybody including me want to go light but there is a price to pay.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex / DIY sil
    Insulation
    Modular CDT's
    Suspension
    Poly straps
    I accidentally made a 12' 4" hammock (THOUGHT I cut the body with some precision when I did it a while ago, turns out I cut it "plenty long to trim down to hammock length"). Regular 60" width 1.9 ripstop. It was a VERY flat lay. Even for my 6'2" brother in law. I did trim it down to 11', being 5'6" myself, I decided I'd rather it fit under my tarp. But it was a much bigger difference than 68" width.

Hammock
    6x12 1.6oz Hyper D
    Tarp
    DIY Membrane 9x9
    Suspension
    Straps + Evenk
    Images
    I've used 11ft hammocks in 60 in width (well, more like 58in of finished width), 12ft hammocks with ~58in finished width, and 12ft hammocks in ~70in finished width.

IMO, the jump from 11ft to 12 ft was the biggest change. In fact, when I'm in my largest hammock, I find that I don't actually use quite all of the width. So out of that ~70in, I'm using maybe... 64-66in?

If it matters, I'm about 6ft 1in.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast