Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've been to the Mountain Bridge Wilderness Area several times with no problems. Caesar's Head S.P. and Jones Gap S.P. mainly. I told them I was hammocking and that I'd probably be around the edges of the designated sites instead of in the dished area in the center...he said I should try to stay within the actual confines of the site b/c "LNT means LNT," but that as long as I was being responsible they wouldn't do anything about it.

Here's my trip report for one of the Jones Gap trips:
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPicturesJonesGap.html

I also hammocked for the Foothills Trail thru-hike with no problems.
    Trip report: http://www.tothewoods.net/FTDay1.html
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I'm with Jeff on Jones Gap State Park. The ranger visited our camp and did not comment on the hammock.
    If you want to hike in a little, sites 10 and 11 are nice and about 1.5 miles in. Sites 6 and 7 are also very nice and more private, as they are not on the main trail. They are easy walking distance from the parking lot. You could take a few conveniences, stove, large tarp, cooler, etc. I have # 6 reserved in March.

Other than that, I've hung at Sadler's Creek SP on Lake Hartwell, loop 1 sites 13, 14, and 15 are nice. 15 is at the end of the loop and doesn't have as good an access to the water as others but it has a lot of woods behind it. Very nice.

Dreher Island SP on Lake Murray has several tent sites scattered throughout the RV camping section. I don't think you can beat site T015.
    It's a few dollars cheaper because they say it's not on the water. Check the 1st pic below and you decide. Just go in the spring. By June it is unbearably hot and humid.

I've also hung at the tent camping section at Devil's Fork SP on Lake Jocassee Sites 13 and 18 with no problem. Site 13 is the premier spot, right on the point. I took the sunrise pic below sitting at site 13. The 3rd pic is at site 18. All the dirt you see in these pics is under water now. It's a great time to visit Lake Jocassee.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    The Smokies in NC!

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    8x10 cat silnylon
    Insulation
    thermarest w/ SPE
    Suspension
    Speers straps.
    in charleston, sc the james island county park says nothing attached to trees...

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I may have some out of state friends wanting to check out near by State Parks soon & was wondering about personal hammock experiences in Pilot Mt State Park & Hanging Rock State park.
    I know that both NCPatrick & myself have used hammocks at Pilot Mt w/ no problem. And I know it may also depend on "who's in charge that weekend".
    I'm going to call both tomorrow, but wouldn't mind hearing personal experience in those parks as well. Thanks. ...Tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    MacCat Micro
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    whoopies & webbing

Great places for camping in SC.

Are you backpacking, car camping or out of a canoe/kayak? I have been all over the state and can point you in the right direction.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Hi. Just in NC I have hung at Pilot Mountain SP, South Mountains SP (backcountry), Stone Mountain SP (backcountry), Hanging Rock SP, Morrow Mountain SP (backcountry), Lake James SP and Lake Norman SP. I've never had a problem with any of these places. I'd say you're good to go in the State Park system. You might also check out Rock Castle Gorge,Va. and the Uwharrie National Forest, and not least, the Linville Gorge area. Hope this helps.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Images
    Not a state park, but great for hammock camping is anywhere along the Chattooga river. Will require a short hike, though.

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Edisto Beach State Park welcomes hammocks. If you are lucky you will be able to get a spot in the beach campground. Nothing like sleeping in a hammock with the sound of ocean surf in the background.
    and site 24 is the best of the lot for the beach campground. My daughter and I stayed there last month. It was AWESOME!!!
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    Just spent a few days at Goose Creek State Park a couple weeks ago. Spoke with the Park Supervisor who, after we stated our purpose and adherence to LNT, said we could do anything we want short of nailing anything to the trees. I've pretty much had the same experience in every State Park I've been in.
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast