Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tips for a Flat Lay in the Ridgerunner

I received my ridgerunner a week ago and have only been able to setup in the garage, no trees yet, one thing i'm struggling with is some shoulder squeeze. I've been reading about all sorts of ridgerunner owners that say its almost non existent, and that for the most part its setup and go. My distance is around 17' or 18' and i'm not sure if my webbing is too tight or not tight enough, if i'm hung to high or vice-versa. Its a DL so i put my exped 9 in to see if that helped and it does alittle, but i was anticipating much less squeeze. I'm about 215# and just under 6', i do have somewhat broad shoulders, Any tips would be appreciated.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I scoot up so my head is touching the seam at rhe head end of the RR. Really close to the spreader bars.

Also I found the darned trees have to be not too close nor too far apart. I get shoulde squeeze If I do not keep my head near the top end of the hammock. I also have a problem if the RR suspension is not correct. Plus I use all three of the spreader bars on the head end.

Have a look at Warbonnets video on setting up the RR.

Warbonnet works for me, the Bear Mountain UL pinches my shoulders too. The RT for me is more open so I have little to no squeez if I set up correctly.

Basically play around after you look at Warbonnet's how to video. Practice and you will discover what works for your particular needs.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    The RR is different than a gathered end hammock. I need more info to make useful suggestions.

What angle are you hanging at? Is the foot end higher than the head end; if so, by how much? Where does your head rest in relation to the head-end spreader bar?

One way to tell if your suspension is not tight enough is to lie down on your stomach in the RR; if it feels like you're doing a limbo move, its way too loose.

Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    Also I found the darned trees have to be not too close nor too far apart. I get shoulder squeeze If I do not keep my head near the top end of the hammock. I also have a problem if the RR suspension is not correct. Plus I use all three of the spreader bars on the head end.
    Exactly, this is what I call the "Goldilocks principle".

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    20-25* suspension angle. With the hammock completely empty, the fabric in the center of the hammock should be nearly flat from side to side.

I agree with others, stay close to the head end and raise the foot end to help prevent you from sliding away from it. The fabric is quite slippery so you may find yourself raising it more than you'd first expect. Since you're in the house, are the mount points at a fixed height? Best if you can raise the foot end by moving the mount point rather than adjusting the straps. With the shallower angle needed, a high percentage of movement by adjusting the straps has the effect of moving the hammock horizontally rather than vertically.

As you already tried, an inflatable can help reduce squeeze by raising your body up an inch or two along with the very slight effect of flattening the fabric, IF you can tolerate the condensation issue.

The only other way I know of is with a wider hammock that mounts the bar directly over your shoulders (Grizz's Ariel recessed bar style).

I have Grab bars setup in the garage so i can slide the suspension up or down, the height is around 60" on the foot end and maybe 6" lower on the head. I just want to make sure my expectations are not too high, this isnt going to be like lying on the floor as far as flatness across the shoulders, correct? It will always be somewhat cupped near the shoulders and obviously more near the feet. I should add that i have what i think is the newer style spreader bars, the 3 bars at the head are all around 14.5", i measure 39" total when assembled.
    Last edited by campnfish; 08-21-2017 at 12:57.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    You might want to raise the foot end another ~6" or so, just to see of that helps you stay near the head end (where its wider).

In the woods, I generally pick trees at least 15' apart or so (just pacing it off), and put my suspension around the trees a little under 7' up.

As for the "cupped" feeling, the best cure for that is a little more air in the pad under you (or a wider pad, or both).

The RR should be like lying in a cot in the air -- way more comfortable than lying on the floor.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by campnfish View Post
    ...this isnt going to be like lying on the floor as far as flatness across the shoulders, correct?...
    Correct.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Silpoly Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Mamba/Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    I'm probably the only person in the world that puts his foot end slightly lower than the head to reduce shoulder squeeze. I don't have any problems sliding to the foot end of the hammock. And I hate the feeling of all the blood in my body rushing to my head.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Do you wear a velcro outfit at night?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast