Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images

How do you do Gear Storage?

As my collection of backpacking and emergency preparedness gear grows, I've struggled with keeping it organized. I don't have a closet that I can neatly stow it, so I've got mine put in rubber maid tote containers. My problem is that as my gear making and buying increases, and there is cross-over application I've lost sight on how to keep it from utter chaos. My desk looks like WWIII both on top and underneath - the wife is not too happy! Please, give me some ideas.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I keep everything except quilts in totes as well. They're labeled on top and bottom for easy reference and to make searches easier. Warm clothing, cool clothing, hammocks, tarps/suspension, insulation/warm goodies, chow box, miscellaneous BS, etc. Quilts are stored in their individual cotton storage sacks so they stay lofted.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    I've got 5 boxes from home depot, moving boxes, not too big. One for food, one for clothing, one for random gear (headlamps, compasses, stakes, esbit, directions for laundering quilts, basically everything that aint categorizeable with alot of other stuff, I have another box just for stuff sacks and containers, and finally a box for the cooking gear/hydration gear. I keep my quilts in garbage bags packed loose and hang them from hooks, i keep my hammocks/inflatable pad/tarps all hanging from hooks in their stuff sacks as well.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB HR and NS
    Images
    Living in an apartment my space is tight. I have some of those gray plastic tube legged shelves that happen to take up exactly half my closet. I keep my gear in totes on those shelves. My quilts are laid as flat as possible across the upper metal shelf that runs the length of the closet. My packs are hung off the cloths bar on the opposite side of the closet. My air soft gear goes on the floor under my cloths. Luck for me I've never had a lot of redundant clothing.
    Murphy was an optimist! - O'toole's commentary on Murphy's law
    The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum. - O'Toole's Corollary
    I think this O'Toole guys onto something. - Rock_Rat's commentary on O'Toole

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    My gear took over my garage. Haven't had a car in it in 25 years. I use totes as well, shelves all the way around. I have lots of stuff because of taking groups on canoe trips. Requires lots of stuff to make newbies comfortable.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    oh man, you'all are soooo organized!!! My stuff takes up one whole side of my bedroom. And it's awful!! I have no system to how I put it there and when I go to find something, I end up throwing everything on the bed and usually can't find it no-how. My husband, who also has to share the bedroom, will sometimes make a rude comment about the mess. I just threatened to throw him into the pile too!!! Maybe I should go by Lowes and buy a few of those container/totes; do they come in a size large enough to put my husband in too???

TinaLouise

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Packing for a family of six years ago, it became overwhelming. The amount of 'stuff' needed for four kids is amazing. We ended up taking two vehicles and a camper packed to the gills for a three day excursion.
    Nowadays, the kids are older and the piles are shrinking, And I'm now stepping down to backpack and hammock only.
    I'll repeat what canoebie said," my garage has not seen a car inside for years!" Between the kids stuff, my stuff, stuff we can't throw away because we might use it someday...

I found that for all the small stuff, if I catalog it and store it in a tote or bag works best.
    I make a detailed list of things that go in a tote, keep that list glued the outside of the tote. I can fit a lot of small things (knives, flashlights, candles, emergency blankets, stoves, fire starting stuff,.etc.) in one tote and the list helps find it a month or two later. Pack one tote full, regardless of what goes in it, so you don't waste space. We used to try to categorize each bin, (beach, camping, cooking, etc.) but that wasted a lot of space.

Keeping everything organized takes alot of work, and discipline, you gotta be religous about it. If your not, the clutter will drown you.

somebody throw me a lifejacket
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Warbonnets, ENO, Claytor
    Tarp
    Maccats
    Insulation
    JRB, HG
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    The whole second bedroom of what used to be called the gym. The gear is littered everywhere & makes my excuse for me to not work out. A bunch of military duffles hold most of the smaller stuff.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I have 2 bookshelves and 2 single wide closets in my office. Plus a chest of drawers with gear. Less books and more gear on the bookshelves each month. Clothing, quilts, pads, and tubs in closets. And my desk now has a sewing machine, instead of a computer. Oh, I forgot, there's a little chest that holds material and little things like cords, cord locks, velcro, amsteel, down, etc. Next the filing cabinets might be put into action. Nope, no addiction here.

Still I never feel like I actually buy gear, I feel more like I rent it. Because I buy used stuff and sell stuff that seems to sit too long and I also give some stuff to scouts. And then you trade with friends . . . and strangers. And then when you start dismantling things and modifying other stuff. The gear is always in a state of flux.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    The second bedroom in my apartment is an office. I use the closet in there, though it's quickly filling up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast