Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF/doors
    Insulation
    UGQZeppelin/Bandit
    Suspension
    Huggers/Mule Tape

OK - Favorite places to hang and/or backpack

I am moving back to Oklahoma City after being away for a handful of years. I am interested in learning about your favorite places to go hanging, or backpacking. I am looking for places to add to my list of destinations to work on my videos. Thanks!

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Come see me when you get here...we'll talk then.

And consider the Texas Fall Hang...it's a blast..
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF/doors
    Insulation
    UGQZeppelin/Bandit
    Suspension
    Huggers/Mule Tape
    I just put my name on the planning spreadsheet, thanks!

Hammock
    11' Dutch Poly D, Fronkey Net
    Tarp
    Yukon Walkabout
    Insulation
    WL TQ/TeWa UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Heya! I've watched a handful of your YouTube videos, and had no idea you were a former Okie!

I have had the best luck out east. 2-3 hours of driving from the metro will get you to some pretty good spots. By far my favorite overall place to backpack is Greenleaf State Park near Muskogee. The scenery is beautiful, the lake is clear (by OK standards anyway), and there is a well maintained 19 mile hiking loop that is open to backpacking. The trail is somewhat challenging in spots, but overall it is a relaxing and pretty hike.

If you want a more remote experience you'll find 100's of miles of trail in the Ouachita National Forest near the Arkansas border. You can section hike the Ouachita Trail, or visit one of several loops like Horsethief or Eagle Rock on the Arkansas side. Check out www.OuachitaMaps.com for a great resource for the area. Backwoods, the local outdoors retailer, sells good quality print outs of the maps.

I also enjoy camping and hiking in the Wichita mountains area. Doris campground has several walk-in sites with suitable hanging trees. I wouldn't call it primitive camping, but it is at least distanced from the vehicles. The hiking landscape is arid, very rocky, and there aren't many trails, which makes it great for plotting your own way. There are some bouldering and climbing spots if that is your thing, though climbing is technically banned for liability reasons. Wear agile grippy shoes if you decide to venture out because most hikes involve some low grade bouldering/rock scrambles. Here's a video my brother-in-law made of one of the more popular trails:
    https://youtu.be/UBGKdo_xMUM
    Last edited by Mchaz; 09-06-2017 at 09:27.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF/doors
    Insulation
    UGQZeppelin/Bandit
    Suspension
    Huggers/Mule Tape
    Mchaz, Pretty much all of the places you mentioned are on my list of places to start visiting. As a matter of fact I was going to call to see if I could get a Charon Garden backcountry permit for this weekend at Wichita Mountains WR, if not, I was planning on Greenleaf. I have also been thinking the Eagle Rock loop was one of the trips to take sometime soon. Any interest in doing some of the Ouachita Trail and doing car drops?

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft 1.0 Hexon
    Tarp
    Cuban with doors
    Greenleaf is known for being full of ticks, pretty area though. Lots of great trails in Quachitas and Ozarks. Definitely interested in Quachita trail trips.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF/doors
    Insulation
    UGQZeppelin/Bandit
    Suspension
    Huggers/Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by n2outdrs View Post
    Greenleaf is known for being full of ticks, pretty area though. Lots of great trails in Quachitas and Ozarks. Definitely interested in Quachita trail trips.
    Thanks for the tick info, since I'm a tick magnet, I'll need to make sure I lather up with Picardin. Let me know what you're thinking about Quachita trail trips, when you're available and want to do some hiking. I see you're in BA. I lived there for 3 years.

Hammock
    11' Dutch Poly D, Fronkey Net
    Tarp
    Yukon Walkabout
    Insulation
    WL TQ/TeWa UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiguyver View Post
    Mchaz, Pretty much all of the places you mentioned are on my list of places to start visiting. As a matter of fact I was going to call to see if I could get a Charon Garden backcountry permit for this weekend at Wichita Mountains WR, if not, I was planning on Greenleaf. I have also been thinking the Eagle Rock loop was one of the trips to take sometime soon. Any interest in doing some of the Ouachita Trail and doing car drops?
    One word of caution about the Charon's garden area is that it might be rather difficult to find a suitable hanging spot. I know they limit back country camping to a very particular area, and I don't know if there are many trees there. I know the trail in the Charon's Garden area is mostly rock and open prairie, but I haven't explored much in the area where camping is allowed. As you can see in the video, many of the trees that do grow out there are kind of stunted and brushy. Just be prepared to go to ground and bring plenty of water!

I might be interested in a trip in the coming months, but my living situation may be drastically changing soon (long distance move). I am also not in great hiking shape right now, but I've been meaning to address that.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre / Exped
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    I grew up on the TX/OK border. Moved away as a teenager to the San Antonio area, but I still get up to the Ouachitas a couple of times a year. It's almost always cooler than the surrounding area so it makes a great summer escape. I especially love the wilderness section around Big Cedar.

Ticks are definitely a concern though. I soak all my exterior gear and clothes with permethrin every Spring in addition to bug spray. I still see ticks occasionally but they're always dead.

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft 1.0 Hexon
    Tarp
    Cuban with doors
    Went backpacking at Robbers Cave last weekend and looked down and had over a hundred larvae seed ticks crawling up my pant legs. Quick action with some duct tape and came home with zero. Hate those things.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast