Ridge Pinnacles
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Thermarest and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar & mule tape
    Grumpy Squatch,

Thanks so much for your response. I laughed out loud multiple times and read it out loud to my wife. Thanks for picking up what I was putting down! We really are beginners in the backpacking department, though we're getting half-way decent at car-camping style hammocking. Becoming hardcore like all of you on here is my goal, but we have to work up to it gently so as not to ruin it for my wife. I can be somewhat masochistic and enjoy the challenge, but it's much more important that we actually have fun! This is the key to getting her to go again with me the next time...

Your suggestions look fantastic. I will check them out further.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Squatch View Post
    One more note - will you be in NH around 9/9? There is an event happening that might be interesting.
    Good luck.
    No... we will be the weekend after that... thanks for the invite though!

A couple other quick questions, since you have been so helpful:
    • We've hung a few times around home in the 30s, so I think we'll be okay there. But what about bugs in mid-September? I would love to leave my bugnet at home...

• You mentioned an overnight shelter on one trail. What do hammockers do with shelters?

• Thanks for the waterfall recommendation. Waterfall hunting is one of our favorite things to do in our region. Any good swimming/jumping spots? I am afraid we'll be a little too late for swimming and a little too early for fall colors, but a really good swimming hole is hard for me to pass up, even when it's coolish temperatures.

Thanks again!

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by diakonos1984 View Post
    • We've hung a few times around home in the 30s, so I think we'll be okay there. But what about bugs in mid-September? I would love to leave my bugnet at home...

• You mentioned an overnight shelter on one trail. What do hammockers do with shelters?

• Thanks for the waterfall recommendation. Waterfall hunting is one of our favorite things to do in our region. Any good swimming/jumping spots? I am afraid we'll be a little too late for swimming and a little too early for fall colors, but a really good swimming hole is hard for me to pass up, even when it's coolish temperatures.

Thanks again!
    Mosquitoes stop biting below 50° F, so for most of September you'll only have to deal with some during the day. By bedtime, going netless is probably safe. Ticks and other crawlies are a different story though.

Two schools of thought on hammocks and shelter use: some hang inside the shelter IF (and it's often a big if) they feel the structure will support it (and if no one else is around). I avoid this because I feel that the shelter should be reserved for people who need it and I hate moving my stuff in the dark should some late backpackers arrive tentless. The second option is to use the high-impact area around the shelter and hang as close as possible. The idea of the shelter is to concentrate the use in a single spot to protect the wider area, and hanging nearby is consistent with that intent. There are many hangable trees at the Royalston Falls shelter (I volunteer for the Trustees and have done maintenance in the area; there is a picture on the Wikipedia page at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royalston_Falls). Here's a picture of my setup in Monroe State Forest a couple years ago with the nearby shelter in the background:

IMG_20160430_161451.jpg

And here's Thoreau Falls:
    IMG_20150523_115528.jpg

Swimming is tough at the falls I mentioned because they are all on really steep slopes (more cascades than true falls). If you want some river swimming take a drive along the Kankamagus Highway in the Whites (http://www.kancamagushighway.com/) and stop at Diana's Baths (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana%27s_Baths) or any of the numerous areas of the Swift (towards Conway) or East Branch of the Pemigewassett River (towards Lincoln) accessible from the highway. Sabbaday Falls, and several others are located along the highway. Arethusa Falls is a short hike from the highway as well, and the tallest waterfall in the area (http://www.newenglandwaterfalls.com/...husafalls.html).
    Last edited by Grumpy Squatch; 08-30-2017 at 14:27. Reason: Added pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    Dutchware gear
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Jbend
    If you chose Thoreau Falls, which is an amazing spot, think about getting there via Ethan Pond trail from Crawford Notch. If you park at the Crawford Notch info center the parking is free. If you have good knees, head up the Kedron Flume Trail, to the junction to Ethan Pond Shelter. If you want to save your knees, walk the pavement until the Ethan pond trail head. From the shelter you can hang from the platforms areas, and use their bear box, or continue on the trail, after stopping by the pond for a snack, continue to the falls, and hang anywhere you choose in the Pemi Wildderness. I love that area in Autumn, and it is a short trip, but beautiful, serene and rejuvinating.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vtmimib View Post
    If you chose Thoreau Falls, which is an amazing spot, think about getting there via Ethan Pond trail from Crawford Notch. If you park at the Crawford Notch info center the parking is free. If you have good knees, head up the Kedron Flume Trail, to the junction to Ethan Pond Shelter. If you want to save your knees, walk the pavement until the Ethan pond trail head. From the shelter you can hang from the platforms areas, and use their bear box, or continue on the trail, after stopping by the pond for a snack, continue to the falls, and hang anywhere you choose in the Pemi Wildderness. I love that area in Autumn, and it is a short trip, but beautiful, serene and rejuvinating.
    Solid advice. Ethan Pond in Spring (May 2015)

IMG_20150523_123558.jpg
    IMG_20150523_123604.jpg

BUT ... the pitch after the flume can be a thigh burner. It climbs about 1000' in a mile. That's kind of like walking a staircase for 30 minutes to an hour :-).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    Dream H.: Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ;Z-seat
    For a swimming/jumping spot: This may be further east than you want to travel, but Emerald Pool, near the start of the Baldface Circle Trail, is a great place for a tall, cold jump and splash. http://www.newenglandwaterfalls.com/nh-emeraldpool.html

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Silpoly Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Mamba/Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    I'm going to throw in a different suggestion for hitting Thoreau Falls (camping prohibited within 1/4 mi). Go in from Zealand via Zealand/Ethan Pond trails. It's totally flat the whole way and the views from the Whitewall Slide are amazing. You can also throw in Zealand Falls or Zeacliff (best on trail view of the Pemi for my money) if you wanted to. I would suggest camping at Shoal Pond after visiting the falls. 7ish miles each way.

Also, familiarize yourself with these regulations: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...rdb5363715.pdf

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Silpoly Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Mamba/Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by somniferous View Post
    In NH you have the Pemi loop, one of it's most popular loop trails. It's not an easy hike, but it has amazing views. The whites are usually pretty rugged terrain vs the Berkshires.Expect a lot of elevation change and steep trails, the Pemi wilderness area has a lot of unmarked/unmaintained trails. You can find less intense hikes if you look into it, usually shorter day hikes.

The Berkshires has more forest walks with less ridgeline walking. Still some great views, less rugged than the whites. Less elevation change, and fewer steep trail than the whites from my experiences.

Can't speak of Vermont hiking wise, but it seems similar to NH in the way of mountain height.
    The Pemi Loop is a series of trails, not a single trail, and it is a 30-35 mile trip depending on which summit spurs you go on.

None of the trails in the Pemi aside from the Owls Head Path are unmaintained/unmarked.

Hammock
    Ridge Pinnacles
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Thermarest and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar & mule tape
    You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the great feedback. I want to do it all! But I think I have settled on driving the Kancamagus and then two nights in the Thoreau Falls/Ethan Pond vicinity for the NH portion of our trip. I'll figure out MA later--it will all be day hikes anyway.

So since you have been so helpful, here are a few follow-up questions:
    • Mt. Field and Mt. Wiley: it looks like we could do the Ethan Pond/Zealand Trails and spend most of the time in a valley. It also looks like we could also take the A-Z Trail and Wiley Range Trail and make it a loop from either the Zealand trailhead or the Crawford Notch trailhead. Are those trails good for mountain top views?
    • Bears: I don't have any experience yet with hanging food. We have little black bears in my region, but no one seems to worry about them. Looks like the Ethan Pond shelter has bear boxes? That would simplify the issue, but if we opt to camp somewhere else are there any good options I should be aware of? (I.e. other nearby locations with bear boxes?). Also, it appears the Forest Service loans out bear canisters on a first-come-first-serve basis? Anyone have any experience with this?
    • Maps: What's the best resource for on-trail trail maps of this area? Can you get them at Forest Service offices, like I can in my area?
    • Phone Reception: I am assuming that this is backcountry with poor cell phone reception, and therefore trail map apps are of questionable value?
    • Rentals: Since we are flying in to Boston, I am not bringing a camp stove. I have found a few options in Boston where I might be able to rent one, but if you have any specific recommendations for rental places that would be quite helpful!

Also, thanks, JoshandBarron, for the Backcountry Camping Rules flier.

I am getting excited!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Silpoly Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Mamba/Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    -The Willey Range is all wooded summits with very limited views. Mt Avalon is lower and bare and provides the best views along that route. A lot of elevation to gain for not much payoff on the higher summits. Willey has a pretty steep "ladder" section not recommended for descent.
    -Bears. I spend almost every weekend in the Pemigewasset Wilderness and have never actually seen a bear back there. They are very timid once you're away from town. I use an Ursack. Most people just do a hang, if anything. No one uses a can in the Whites.
    -The best maps for the area are the AMC maps (just updated!). USFS and USGS maps can be found on caltopo.com but take them with a grain of salt as they are outdated. Most shelters are no longer there.
    -As far as an on trail app goes, Guthook's New England Hiker app is my go to. All the maps are downloaded so as long as you have a satellite signal you are good. You can download different map sets for each section of the Whites. Cell phone reception has been getting pretty good back there though. If you have Verizon chances are you'll at least get a 911 signal. I had 4G on Bondcliff with Sprint this weekend.
    -Can't help with stove rental. Perhaps check EMS in North Conway or Lahouts in Lincoln. You should be able to fly with a stove though, just buy fuel up here.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Silpoly Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Mamba/Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Note that there are still a whole bunch of thrubies rolling through so expect company at Ethan Pond if you decide to stay there. Also, the colors are starting early this year so you might get lucky on that front. Lots of yellows and reds already.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast