Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any NM Hangers?

Any NM Hangers?

Hello All,

Recently joined the forum as I'm in the 'research' phase. My tween daughter and I are looking into starting up some camping and I've been going back and forth on being ground dwellers or hangers. If it were just me I'd probably go with a hammock but not 100% sure if it would be the best for two.

Anyone happen to know if there are any hanger events in NM? It would be great to check them out with my daughter. Also I'd imagine NM has tons of places to camp with hammocks, but any favorites pop out?

Thanks

Afruman

Hammock
    DIY dl bridge
    Tarp
    Diy silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor ink straps
    Greetings from Las Vegas. Come on over to the AZ spring next month and get a good look at all types of outfits. Family friendly event.

Thanks for the reply Redfish, we'll have to check this out.

Happen to know if there are a lot of hangers in NM? On a couple of car camping trips we haven't seen any.

Hammock
    DIY dl bridge
    Tarp
    Diy silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor ink straps
    There's a guy in Pecos that hangs, but I don't know what of any others.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    There is at least one hanger in Las Cruces that I'm aware of... I'm from El Paso (pretty close to NM)... and of course Red Fish.

The Az hangs will be your closest options for group hangs, also they are a great group of folks...

Hope you can make it to the Fall Hang next month...
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Insulation
    Down TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie hooks
    I live in Stanley. I work in the field and spend many nights out. I have hung all over New Mexico, all seasons, all weather. Will be traversing the Pecos from north to south, ending at Jack's Creek next month.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre / Exped
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by NMTrekker View Post
    I live in Stanley. I work in the field and spend many nights out. I have hung all over New Mexico, all seasons, all weather. Will be traversing the Pecos from north to south, ending at Jack's Creek next month.
    You should write up a trip report. Sounds like an excellent hike! I camped a couple of nights at Jacks Creek last year - beautiful campsite. Stellar views from my hammock those nights.

I'm in Socorro. I've taken my hammock out to Quebradas, Elephant Butte, a canyon outside San Antonio (don't know the real name of the place, our family calls it Easter Canyon because we went there for Easter as kids), and even the Rio Grande Zoo. So far Easter Canyon is the only place I didn't need my frame. Trying to get back out there, but I need to get an underquilt first, my feet got cold (the rest of me was fine).

Would love to find a hanger event too so I could see some different set ups. Specifically hammocks with nets/rain flys and UQs.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    I'm in Socorro. I've taken my hammock out to Quebradas, Elephant Butte, a canyon outside San Antonio (don't know the real name of the place, our family calls it Easter Canyon because we went there for Easter as kids), and even the Rio Grande Zoo. So far Easter Canyon is the only place I didn't need my frame. Trying to get back out there, but I need to get an underquilt first, my feet got cold (the rest of me was fine).

Would love to find a hanger event too so I could see some different set ups. Specifically hammocks with nets/rain flys and UQs.
    We are just starting to plan the Spring 2018 AZ hang - looks like it will be near Tucson, so hopefully not too far of a drive for you.

I am planning a 3-day loop in the Gila starting near the visitors center in a couple of weeks. Let me know if interested.

--Kurt
    My hiking/backpacking Youtube channel: Youtube

My BackpackGearTest reviews: Reviews

If you have an HH, then you should read my SuperShelter review: HH Super Shelter

Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    We are just starting to plan the Spring 2018 AZ hang - looks like it will be near Tucson, so hopefully not too far of a drive for you.
    371 miles (400 to the area you're talking). We are planning a trip from here to Maryland at the end of the school year. And then here to SLC UT when we get back, not sure I can fit another drive in the schedule, but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    I am planning a 3-day loop in the Gila starting near the visitors center in a couple of weeks. Let me know if interested.
    I'm not quite fit for a multi day hike.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast