Thread: EE Enigma 20

Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG/EE

EE Enigma 20

I bought this quilt for my wife a few weeks back after an overnighter to the Mohawk Lakes area near Breckenridge. On that trip, she used her HG Burrow 30 and it just wasn't enough for her. That's not to say there is anything at all wrong with the HG quilt - she's used it before (as have I) and loved it. We just discovered that at higher elevation and lower temps, she just wanted something with a bit more "horsepower".

So, I opted to go with the EE Enigma 20 for a few reasons. First, I just wanted to check out their quilts. I've heard a lot about them, and there seems to be no shortage of really positive reviews online. Second, I was intrigued by the vertical baffle design. I think the idea makes a lot of sense, and wanted to check it out firsthand. Lastly, I was able to get one off the shelf with no wait. They had a regular/regular in stock, so I snagged one.

We took the quilt out over the weekend and did the four pass loop at Maroon Bells. The quilt arrived just a few days before, and I did my usual thorough inspection. Craftsmanship was right on par with HG. I wouldn't say it was any better or any worse. I will say, however, that I prefer the Argon fabric HG uses to the fabric EE uses. The EE fabric just isn't as soft to the touch as the Argon.

My wife spent two nights in it above 10,000 ft, and within the first five minutes in the hammock started raving about the quilt. She was particularly impressed with just how warm it was and how quickly it lofted. Note: I was using the HG Burrow 30 she used a few weeks prior and noted the same thing about that quilt Another thing she mentioned was the width - she liked the extra few inches on the Enigma and it just gave her some extra room to wrestle around inside the hammock without losing the "seal" between the quilt and the sides of her body.

I'm not sure of the exact low temperatures each night, but I do know it dropped below freezing from the frost we saw on the ground at and around camp in the morning. If I had to guess, I'd say we were probably between 25-30. That's still above the advertised temp rating for the Enigma, but my wife felt like it could definitely go a little lower than 20 degrees comfortably. Just eyeballing the loft on the EE 20 v. the HG 30, her opinion sounded about right. The loft on the EE was noticeably more than the HG 30 - as it should be for its advertised rating. That said, I was toasty in the HG 30 on both nights as well, and the temperature was definitely approaching its advertised limit.

I know that's only two nights, but so far, so good. I am definitely happy with the purchase and will certainly consider EE for top and underquilt needs going forward. The craftsmanship is spot on, the customer service was great (followup emails, amazingly fast shipping), and the Enigma 20 did exactly what I wanted it to do - keep my wife comfortably warm at or around 20 degrees.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Hybrid UHMWPE/MSH
    Great review. It seems that EE is more popular with tent campers than hammockers, at least that's the impression I get. On camping sites and YouTube channels there's plenty of talk of EE, but not so much here. I've looked around their site many times, but haven't yet pulled the trigger on anything. Glad to hear that if I ever do the product will stand up to the competition.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow 7007
    Tarp
    WarBonnet MtnFly
    Insulation
    WildernessLogics
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've got an older model Revelation with the box stitching and it's incredible.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG/EE
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory Hess View Post
    Great review. It seems that EE is more popular with tent campers than hammockers, at least that's the impression I get. On camping sites and YouTube channels there's plenty of talk of EE, but not so much here. I've looked around their site many times, but haven't yet pulled the trigger on anything. Glad to hear that if I ever do the product will stand up to the competition.
    Yeah I noticed that, too - there's not a ton of information on hammockforums regarding the EE, and most here seem to be loyal to HG and UGQ. And for good reason - I, too, own HG quilts and they're great. So one major reason why I wanted to post the initial review of the EE quilt was to get the word out to fellow hammockers. The Enigma is reasonably priced, crafted with care and attention to detail, and just works. As I said, EE is definitely worth a look if you're in the market for a top quilt.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I got one of these via Massdrop a little while ago. Very happy with it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    Their rep is beyond question. Outside of the hammock community, they are the first stop for everyone who wants a quilt. They set the standard.

I'm surprised to hear your opinion of their loft and warmth. The only thing I don't like about them is their somewhat aggressive temp ratings. They assume you're sleeping in a full base layer. I've always thought most quilt makers were warmer than EE, which is somewhat reflected in the weight.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Quote Originally Posted by fsupaintball View Post
    Their rep is beyond question. Outside of the hammock community, they are the first stop for everyone who wants a quilt. They set the standard.

I'm surprised to hear your opinion of their loft and warmth. The only thing I don't like about them is their somewhat aggressive temp ratings. They assume you're sleeping in a full base layer. I've always thought most quilt makers were warmer than EE, which is somewhat reflected in the weight.
    I have the opposite experience. Hmmm. I believe my success is attributable to the innovative baffle design. Whatever the reason, my 30F Enigma has taken me into the 20s on several occasions with only a base layer. The other TQ's I've owned couldn't do that for me.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-wit
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG/EE
    Quote Originally Posted by fsupaintball View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    I have the opposite experience. Hmmm. I believe my success is attributable to the innovative baffle design. Whatever the reason, my 30F Enigma has taken me into the 20s on several occasions with only a base layer. The other TQ's I've owned couldn't do that for me.
    I think the two differences in individual experience is simply due to just that - the individual. Metabolism, body fat %, level of hydration, what you ate before getting in the quilt (and when), and the list goes on. All play a huge factor in one's subjective measurement of temp rating. To that point, I've been chilled in the same quilt in which I had previously been hot at slightly lower temps (10 degrees or so).

To your point, FSU, I did read of several others' disappointment in the loft and warmth of EE's quilts during my thorough investigation of EE. That is not my experience at all, and from what I've read, most others as well. That said, I've also ready of others' disappointment in the temp rating of HG, UGQ, JRB, and others. I can only speak for HG as I don't own anything from others, but again, my experience is that their ratings are also pretty accurate. I think this is just more proof of how temperature rating is so dependent upon an almost infinite number of factors, and most importantly, the individual.

• + New Posts