Dutch DL 1.6 hexon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    None yet
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Hello from Auburn, Al

Hey guys and gals. I have been lurking for a while and decided to join. I am an avid outdoorsman. I'm also an Eagle Scout so camping is nothing new to me. As a scout I loved backpacking but as life changes, hobbies change. Now I'm 40 and a father of a young Cub Scout who shares my love for the outdoors. So with that as an incentive to lose some weight, get back into backpacking we have gotten bit by the hammock bug. I will say this. As a scout I was a bit of a minimalist. I hated carrying tents and such if not needed. If hammocks were around then I would have never used a tent. The versatility and comfort level takes camping to a new level for me. I have been slowly collecting gear and modifying things to accommodate my size. I'm just a big guy, over almost the past year I have lost about 80 lbs. My faith in some of the gear is growing but I'm still wary. Hanging off the ground from a 7/64 in. string doesn't make sense to me. So I have been experimenting with the 1/8 amsteel for mods and such for my suspension. I'm envious of what a lot of these ultralight guys get away with, but a 20lb pack will never happen for somebody my size. Big guys=big gear. Thanks to guys like Shug, Dutch , and other enthusiasts, I have definitely gotten the bug. I look forward to learning more and sharing experiences with y'all. I'm always open to pointers and tips , as well as throwing out any knowledge I can pass on. That pretty much sums up the short of it. Happy Hammocking!!!

Hammock
    Dutch 11 PolyD; Junglenest
    Tarp
    HG; ENO
    Insulation
    HG; Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Welcome to the forum from Grand Ridge, Florida. You need to check out several of the hangs coming up within the next couple of months. The Sipsey hang is one that I have been attending the last few years. Great people who are willing to share their knowledge. Several learned how to make whoopie slings at the last hang. You also get to see the many different setups. Everyone is welcome and there is always a waterfall hike on Saturday.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...FPEN-FALL-HANG

You have come to the right place. Welcome to the big community.
    <!!>Best Splitting Axe for Chopping Wood in 2017<!!>Best Carpenter’s Axe for 2017<!!>

Hammock
    Dutch DL 1.6 hexon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    None yet
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by abatis49 View Post
    Welcome to the forum from Grand Ridge, Florida. You need to check out several of the hangs coming up within the next couple of months. The Sipsey hang is one that I have been attending the last few years. Great people who are willing to share their knowledge. Several learned how to make whoopie slings at the last hang. You also get to see the many different setups. Everyone is welcome and there is always a waterfall hike on Saturday.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...FPEN-FALL-HANG
    Thanks. May check it out. I would like to see some more setups, see what I want to do with mine.

Hammock
    Hennessy Jungle Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Hex Asym
    Suspension
    strap/biner
    Welcome to the site. I currently live in Maryland but worked in Alexander City before my move.

War Eagle.

Hammock
    Dutch DL 1.6 hexon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    None yet
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by goomba View Post
    Welcome to the site. I currently live in Maryland but worked in Alexander City before my move.

War Eagle.
    War Eagle my friend. My father worked in Alex City for years. I have spent many days up there myself.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps &amp; Buckles
    Images
    Welcome from Northern Arkansas! Best of luck with that young scout your working with! I love "hanging" out with my son! He's grown with a family of his own now, but I always look forward to our hiking trips!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    ORM TQ &amp; WB UQ
    Suspension
    straps &amp; buckles
    Hello and welcome to Hammock Forums.
    The Sipsey hang is always a great time. Hope you make it.
    Sounds like you have a pretty good start too.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Bring your Cub along to the Sipsey Hang and meet the locals. We're a pretty decent crowd. There are folks there with a tremendous wealth of gear knowledge, DIY and other. They're very open about letting others look at their setups and discussing evolution of kits. Besides, the food is usually pretty good. I'm planning on bringing gumbo this time.

Charlotte

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Kyptex
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Python straps
    Hey, War Eagle! I've JUST moved from Auburn, still forget it's not home, lol. I haven't used this site a lot but would love for more info about the Sipsy hang if someone can tell me where to look. I've been hanging for several years not but have never met a fellow hanger. All I've learned is from here and fb Hammock camping.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast