Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images

NoSeeUm Tarp Skins With Guy Line Storage.

I decided that I was going to make a set of python/snake skins for my tarp from NoSeeUm mesh. I made them from NoSeeUm because I wanted to be able to strap my wet tarp to the outside of my pack so that it can dry while hiking.

Python/snake skins for a hammock or tarp is nothing new. I know some members here have already made skins from mesh and Hennessy Hammocks sell a silnylon version of the skins.

For reference I used the tutorial on Jeff's homemade gear site and the JRB site also has a tutorial for making skins. Please refer to these tutorials for more detailed instructions on making a skin.

When I started to make my mesh skins I thought it would be nice to have some way of storing and securing the tarp guy lines to keep them out of the way while the tarp was strapped to the outside of my pack. Here what I came up with:

This is the basic dimension of the NoSeeUm that I will be using to make these skins:

After measuring and cutting out the skins I layed the narrow end of the skins on a piece of paper and traced out a pattern for the pockects (1.). Next I used the pattern to cut out the pockect (2.) Before I started sewing the skins I also added a roll hem to the wide end of the pockect (3.).

Next I lined up the narrow end of the the skin and the narrow end of the pocket and rolled them together into a hem.

After this step you continue to make the skins as normal, sewing the long edges together to form a tube. VERY IMPORTANT! Make sure the pocket portion is located inside the tube when you are sewing. That way the pocket will be on the outside once you finish your sewing and turn the skin inside out. Here a pic of the pocket end before flipping it inside out:

Once you finish sewing the length of the tube finish the skins by putting a roll hem on the wide end. You may have to trim some material off the wide end to make things straight. After finishing the hem on the wide end I also insert a wire tie into the hem to the skin to help it go over the tarp when breaking down camp. The wire tie is an optional step, but it makes things a little easier. Here's the finished product:

Once you have pulled the skins over the tarp you simply wind the guy lines up and tuck them in the pocket at the end of the tube. Keeps everything nice and neat.
    Last edited by headchange4u; 07-07-2007 at 08:51.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Cool project, man!

I find the different ways people go about constructing the same gear really interesting. When I make skins, I cut them so the ends are parallel, hem the ends first then the long edge, and leave the long edge hem outside so it doesn't snag on the tarp. I do use a wire tie on one half of the skins, but I put a drawstring on the other half so there's no chance of them slipping off the tarp.

I might be trying your pocket idea soon...I've also got a tarp-specific BB sack in the works, so this would be a good piece to compare with.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    nicely laid out instructions headchange. i really like the pockets. that's a great addition. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Great idea. I like that pocket. It really solves a nagging problem.

I do like BB351 does in constructing the skins. I use grosgrain on the seam though and leave it on the outside also like BB351 does.

One thing I've been doing with my skins though. I use one long skin from end to end instead of 2 skins that meet in the middle. I was having trouble with pulling the skins towards the middle. I always ended up with a balloon there and trying to get the air out was a hassle since the silnyl is air tight. I solved that by just rolling and pulling the skins the whole length of the tarp from one end. No balloon any more. Also, I don't taper the skins for the tarp since there was no more bulge in the middle.

Images
    nice job.
    I like the pocket also!
    AND I like Tee Dee's idea of one long parallel one....that'd be easy to make!
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    BTW, I weighed the skins today. Finished weight 1.4oz for the pair.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    HC, very slick piece of gear, man. I would have never thought of that myself. It goes to show you that there's no limit to the kinds of variations there are to already existing gear or to the gear that people can produce with a little thinking.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images
    Awesome. Cant wait to start mine using your instructions. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Images
    Cool Idea. Right now I just wrap mine around the skins.

I read it somewhere, I think from the jacks, to put a wire tie in the large end seam to make them easier to use. I think they make a huge difference.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

headchange4u, Thanks so much!! I was just doing a search to make sure it's no-seeum that people are using for their mesh skins, before I order some. Now I have instructions with an extra touch!

Hammock Engineer, in the second pic from the bottom you can see the cable tie in the big end of the skin. (If you see this while on your thru-hike, good luck with everything!)

---Amy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast