Tarp
    Mamajamba SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Gossamer Gear 1/4"
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings!

Mountain Hardwear Ultralamina problems.

My first post!

A little background. 30 years ago I spent a winter in Mexico and most nights I slept in my Mexican hammock (very colorful and I still use the same one on the deck!). I am an antique hanger you could say!

I recently got a HH Expedition Asym on sale for a amazing price and am now getting ready to start hanging again in the spring.

I don't want to start a war regarding quilts etc. as I know there are benefits to both. I spend some time tent camping with my boys and girlfriend so I am going to go with the sleeping bag route for my hammock testing.

My question is regarding the Mountain Hardwear Ultralamina. Having almost died in a down bag I am a synthetic bag convert and this seems like a good bag for it's weight and features. What concerns me is that it has two zippers that only go down halfway as opposed to one full length zipper. Has anyone in the hammock community tried this bag and if so can you tell me if it poses problems on getting in the bag? I am nimble, don't mind wrestling a bit to get comfy and never complain.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I thank you in advance for any insight.

Great site. Looking forward to contributing more!

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Hi! Welcome to the forum!
    I'm a bag user currently, and I admit that getting into and out of a bag in a hammock isn't optimal, but it's not the end of the world either... more like an extra 30 seconds of fooling around when you're bedding down for the night.
    I have no direct experience with the Ultralamina bag, but I will say that with my bags I usually only unzip about half-way, so it should be similar to what you'll experience.

It just clicked in my head that you are a Hennessy user... You will indeed have a little more fiddle-factor with that bottom-entry compared to a top-entry hammock (I'm in a Clark). I wouldn't let it stop you from going with hammocks though!

EDIT: Thinking about it, with the half-zips on both sides of the bag, it may actually make getting into the bag in a HH a tad easier than a single side zip bag. Hard to say without actually trying it.
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

I personally would look for a bag that zips all the way down.

Hammock
    warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    sleeping bag, & TQ
    Suspension
    amsteel, treehuger
    Images
    i'm a HH scout and bag user. i also only zip about halfway to get. yes you need to be a little nimble but it's by far doable. i basically get set up to my armpits then i may need to adjust a little because i use a single pad and i get slid around a little while trying to get sorted in the bag. then once i'm pretty much set i zip up from the inside and i'm good.

i did just get a golite ultra 20 quilt and it's much easier to situate yourself but the bag seems like i can get more snuggled in. it's a 0 deg. marmot down bag though. it's a little heavy (3lbs and 600 fill) but it's warm. also i saw how guys use another sit pad or maybe just a little bigger to make a T shape for the shoulders. that will be my next weekend's test. oh and my blackbird will be in by then!

the best thing to check out other's experiences with that bag is to google :" mountaing hardwear ultralamina reviews"

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I own the Mountain Hardware Ultra Lamina 15 Degree Bag. It is a GREAT bag for hammock camping in my opinion. Used it on a 20 degree hang and had no problems what so ever.

If you can't use the bag quilt-style (unzipped) it will always SUCK. Make yourself a Jardine style synthetic quilt and make sure your have a large pack to contain it. If you can't use the bag quilt style, I predict you'll give up hammocking or get a quilt.

I have the ultralamina 15 and while I do like the bag I absolutely abhor it when using it in the hammock. The 1/3 zips are a major pain for me in the hammock. It can be very difficult getting in and out of it and making adjustments. If you are using it in warmer weather you can't vent it unless you get out of it. So I either end up swimming in sweat or freezing in it during the non-winter months.

If it came with 2/3 or full zips, it would be my absolute favorite bag given how small it packs and decent warmth to weight ratio.

You mileage may vary.

DG

Although I have recently acquired a PeaPod, prior to this I had been using my sleeping bag. Most of the time I found it easiest to stand next to my hammock, step into my partially zipped SB, pull it up to my neck with one hand and then sit down onto my hammock and swing the legs up. I zipped the bag most of the way up before sitting/laying down.

Hammock
    JRB Bridge and WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Gossamer Gear 1/4"
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings!
    Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions. I think I will look at a Big Agnes with the same rating and a full zip for now unless the Ultralamina goes on sale. I can always use it for tent camping with my young boys!

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    If you can't use the bag quilt-style (unzipped) it will always SUCK. Make yourself a Jardine style synthetic quilt and make sure your have a large pack to contain it. If you can't use the bag quilt style, I predict you'll give up hammocking or get a quilt.
    Sorry, I have to respectfully agree to disagree with that statement. It may always suck for YOU, but I myself actually prefer to be in my bag zipped up rather than use it in quilt-mode. I believe there is an entire thread around somewhere with people expressing a preference for bags over quilts...

HYOH, YMMV, etc and so on. No need to make be-all-end-all statements.
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast