Hammock
    Dutch 10' Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    SLD w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Looks like you northerners are about to become lucky once more.
    http://www.sciencealert.com/look-up-...ednesday-night

Quote Originally Posted by Roundtrip Raven View Post
    As much as I would love to visit Canada (Banff, Jasper, etc), that trip is even further into the future. But when I do go, is there a "season" where the lights are most prominent?
    Hi Raven,
    I'm originally from Northern Manitoba Canada and I've also lived in the Arctic. I found that in the winter the lights are brighter but usually the greens, in the summer in Northern Manitoba you usually get the awesome colours. Check out Thompson MB or The Pas MB, for those two you would have to go mid to late August as it will get dark enough to see them. In the Arctic the winter is likely the best.

Banff you are probably lucky to see them often. I would guess Jasper would be best from August on as well.

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by biggie View Post
    Hi Raven,
    I'm originally from Northern Manitoba Canada and I've also lived in the Arctic. I found that in the winter the lights are brighter but usually the greens, in the summer in Northern Manitoba you usually get the awesome colours. Check out Thompson MB or The Pas MB, for those two you would have to go mid to late August as it will get dark enough to see them. In the Arctic the winter is likely the best.

Banff you are probably lucky to see them often. I would guess Jasper would be best from August on as well.
    The most incredible northern lights I have ever seen were up at Thompson MB. It was horizon to horizon multiple color dancing waves. Went on for 3 hours. Up until this point I sort of scoffed at photos since they look pretty but are cheating - not what are seen with the naked eye ( aperture and time settings etc). What I saw and the scale was mind blowing. This was about 14 years ago. Wish I had something to take a video of it at the time. Once in a lifetime probably

I've seen them in the northernmost parts of Michigan's Lower Peninsula, so I'd think that either Cheboygan or Wilderness State Parks would work, as would anywhere in the UP.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20* & 40*
    Suspension
    Straps with buckle
    I've seen pictures of them taken from the Bigelows in Maine, but haven't seen them myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WinterDream
    Insulation
    HG & Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Dutch CRL w/ Tatos
    I used to see them about once a year when living in the Adirondacks. Our public radio station there (NCPR) would occasionally issue Northern Lights alerts and I'd hop in the truck and head a mile or two out side the village to watch.

Just another reason I miss the North Country.

Wayne

Edited: Just realized this was in the Midwest Forums. Long ride to NY to catch the elusive northern lights. Kind of like when I lived in Maine and people from away asked where and when to go to see a moose.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I've seen them a number of times over the years in MT and northern WY. One of the biggest keys is living in a place where it is dark, i.e. not a bunch of city lights or even yard lights. I like it dark because, in addition to NL opportunities, I get a real feel for the phases of the moon as the month(s) pass. I've been fortunate to have lived most of my life in several places w/o "light pollution" to distract from the nocturnal goings on.

There is a saying, seems to be true, but can't say for certain, that when you see the NL it is a harbinger of frigid weather just around the corner.

Hammock
    Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    I've seen them many times in Northern to central Iowa. Mostly looking like someone shining spotlights up in the air on the far Northern horizon. The best show was on lake Candyohi in SW "Minnowsoda" late night fishing. That time it looked like waves washing over us. No sound, just really odd light shows. Seems like they're very seldom seen as far south as southern Iowa. The bad thing about travel to see them is that there is no guaranteed light show or schedule.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WinterDream
    Insulation
    HG & Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Dutch CRL w/ Tatos
    Quote Originally Posted by ice man View Post
    .... there is no guaranteed light show or schedule.
    Unlike the Perseids or this week's Geminid meteor showers where you can plan on seeing them like clockwork (if the weather is clear,) the Northern Lights I always consider a gift from Mother.

Wayne

Hammock
    Dutchwear Chameleon
    Tarp
    Eastern Ridge Hex
    Insulation
    Costco Down Throw
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    We see them relatively frequently in the Lake of the Woods area!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast