Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Images

First Report From The Wbbb

After much hype from me waiting on the new package over a week ago. I have been remiss in posting a report.
    I have been working on a video of it and not having so much luck. I recorded some of it with HD and I am having some editing issues there.
    I also gave a first true run with the Kodak Zx1 video camera. More on it also.

I made the drive from Memphis to Monteagle Tn, just south of Murfreesboro.
    About a 5 hour drive but was broken up by a nice visit to REI in Nashville.
    I made it there arond 2:00ish and headed into the the Savage Gulf South Cumberland State Park on the Stone Door side. I was using the Laurel Trail on the way in. I made it in to camp and set up quickly. It was abuot 30*.
    This was the first hang of the WBBB 1.1 double. That went very quickly and easily. I also was using the 3 season Yeti for the first time and the Superfly with the doors for it's maden voyage. The quilt went well. But was very disapointed that I had no tie out strings or ridge line. I stopped and purchased some trip tease and some small dia. static kern mantle for the ridge line at the REI. I had it set up in just a little more time than what I am accustomed to with the hex fly I had been using but not an issue. I did not get the taunt pitch that I was looking for this time but shoud be a no issue in the future.
    I had a nice meal then settled in for a night of watching Tombstone on the Ipod. I was in the hammock by 6:30 and was quite comfy. I was using my Ray Way quilt that my wife had made and was wearing a light pair of long underweaar with my Marmot wind shirt. BY 10:00 it was down to about 25 and dropping. I put on a heavy long underwear pants and was good for the remainder of the night. I had one of my 3/4 therma rest pads under my feet in the double layer of the foot box that worked well. I may have felt cool once during the night but covered back up and actually got quite warm for the remiander.
    By morning it was just about 20* so I packed up and carried on. The first time I have had to wear some thing under the Kilt on my legs. The forcast was for almost 40* and sunny. It never broke freezing and I never once saw the sun. I hiked the rim trail on the way to the ranger station to camp on the far side of the park. The wind blew steadlily all day. but I got some great views of the gorge and a side trip to Greeter Falls. Along with the much awaited trip to the Stone Door.
    As I passed the ranger station I talked with one of the park employees. He informed me that the forecast had changed to be down around 15*. I felt I could deal with that for sleeping based on the previous nights first run. However I knew I had to be back in Memphis for a parent teacher meeting the next day. That meant I would have to get out of the warm WBBB early in the teens and pack up. I knew I had slept in till 8:30 that a.m. and would want to do so the next day also. That would be cutting it very close.
    I chose to bug out a day early and just get on home. Life happens.
    Over all I am very pleased with the entire trip. I used my new gear and was comfy and not worried with set up. I Got out of Memphis which is always great. and saw Middle Tn.
    I also used the Kodak for the first time. It shoots great video for the size and price but it eats batteries like cookie monster eats cookies. I suspect it was becasue I shot in HD all day. I will work on the video and maybe get a review there.

Thanks for reading
    BEAS
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BEAS; 01-31-2010 at 22:08.
    BEAS
    From the Great Southern state of
    TENNESSEE
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. General Robert E. Lee

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Full UQ/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Thumbs up I've been waiting for this write-up

Great report, I loved mid-TN as I was driving through eastbound to MAHHA. On the ZX1 battery consumption, I'd say it was the HD plus cold temps that added to the 'burn rate'. We're (winter hammocking nuts such as ourselves) all pushing our electronics quite a bit farther than most 'casual' users, I would say.
    "The green earth, say you? That is itself a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day." -Aragorn, 'The Two Towers' by J.R.R. Tolkien

Images
    Great report, BEAS. I didn't realize you were in Memphis, really not far from me in Tupelo, MS- about 90 miles or so.

Sounds like that Ray Way quilt worked pretty good.

Images
    good deal, i've hiked the firey gizzard trail, nice area. been to the foster falls area many times.

keep in mind any tarp with edge binding around the perimeter will generally need more tension on the ground guylines to get a taut pitch.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    good deal, i've hiked the firey gizzard trail, nice area. been to the foster falls area many times.

keep in mind any tarp with edge binding around the perimeter will generally need more tension on the ground guylines to get a taut pitch.
    I love Tn.

Didn't know you hiked just thought you slaved over a sewing machine.

Love the gear Brandon. Thanks

BEAS
    BEAS
    TENNESSEE
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. General Robert E. Lee

Images
    those were the days before i became a slave to the machine

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    I cant believe you were'nt cold with only the 3 season yeti + 3/4 pad. You are a toasty one son.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    I cant believe you were'nt cold with only the 3 season yeti + 3/4 pad. You are a toasty one son.
    I have had the Supershelter from my Hennessey down to 14* and started to get cold but survived.

I did have my down jacket on my feet, forgot that. Other than that I was great.

BEAS
    BEAS
    TENNESSEE

• + New Posts