Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images

Lightbulb Interest/Info check: South Mountains State Park

Logistics as well as a few other factors prevented attending the Mt Rogers hang this weekend. I'd been planning this trip for months. I've been making gear, tweaking gear, and testing low temp scenarios on my deck. Bottom line - I have got to get out there soon or I'll burst. Maybe a few of us that missed the Mt Rogers hang can sneak in a small winter hang together. I was looking for a place to hang which would be convenient for a bunch of us to hang this coming weekend (Feb. 6-7) and came up with South Mountains State Park map.

I sent out a few PMs. Here is what I have so far:

Ken: “I know that someone from HF hung there once and did a trip report on it. It was just one person though. Carolinahammockhanger or something like that, I think. Not sure if they told the rangers how they were camping or not. I used to ride mountain bike there every Sunday. They have designated campsites scattered about the park, and don't allow camping except in those sites. The ones I remember seeing had a small open meadow with a picnic table and either a grill or fire ring. Lots of woods surrounding them, but whether spreading out into the woods would be allowed I don't know.”

Hawk-eye
    : “Guess we'd need to check with the State boys ... they're kinda particular on regulations and camping sites and stuff. But it's a good location.

Slowhike: “What they have are about 5 "Camping Areas", scattered about the park, which can be hiked to. Each "Camping Area" has several (5 I think) "small group camp sites".

It's been a while but I've used the Upper Falls Campsites several times to take groups. It's a short hike in, all up hill though. That set of sites is a short day hike from a really nice water fall (High Shoals I think).

What you find when you get to this camping area is a small meadow in the woods w/ a nice creek running along it's edge. I think there are 5 camp sites spread out around it's perimeters, each one on or near the creek. Each site is intended for a small group of (I think) 6 people or less.

Each of the 5 camp sites has it's own fire ring w/ metal grate & a picnic table.
    There are 2 privies at one edge that are shared by all 5 campsites in the "Upper Falls Camp Site".

It's not a bad place to use for an easy, low impact, laid back weekend. In the areas I used, you are at lower elevations & there are no "big views" to see, but the close up views are nice.

There are no reservations for these sites. you just look at a "sign in chart" when you get there to see which sites have been claimed & which are free, & sing in for the site you want.
    That never turned out to be a real issue in the past trips. In the winter, even less likely.

In the park web site they talk about "Family Camping" that can be reserved. I'm not familiar w/ that, but we could ask.”
    Last edited by Running Feather; 02-01-2010 at 03:58. Reason: Spelling
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    Black DIY dual zipper
    Tarp
    Black DIY 10'X12'
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    I'm in, providing the weather cooperates.

I've still got a 28 pack of hot dogs that was supposed to go to Mt. Rogers.

We'll definitly get to try our pulk sleds!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    It's a nice park to hang in. They normally leave a big pile of firewood for the different camps to share. I don't know if they still do that in the winter. I can't make it, due to my daughter #2's birthday party here. The upper falls should be a great place for a hangout. Have fun! Be prepared for that uphill part. It's going to be a tough hike pulling a pulk up there I would imagine, but maybe you're in much better shape than I am and it will be no problem. Be sure to take pictures!

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images

Thanks

How is the Shiny Creek campsite NC? Terrain? Views?

Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    It's a nice park to hang in. They normally leave a big pile of firewood for the different camps to share. I don't know if they still do that in the winter. I can't make it, due to my daughter #2's birthday party here. The upper falls should be a great place for a hangout. Have fun! Be prepared for that uphill part. It's going to be a tough hike pulling a pulk up there I would imagine, but maybe you're in much better shape than I am and it will be no problem. Be sure to take pictures!

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    No views, it's easier to get to though. Great shared area to run around in. It's still just a short hike back to the main falls though, so it's still in a good location. There is good water there too (stream going by). Hammocks would have to be along the stream I would think, which might string out a bigger group quite a bit, but for a lower number of folks it wouldn't be a problem. 2 privies, shared steel food vault, shared firewood. I liked it there. (Summer, 100F)

Terrain? Flat.
    Last edited by NCPatrick; 02-01-2010 at 07:49. Reason: terrain

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Still in Asia that weekend ... so I'll be out but should be a fun weekend, can't wait to read about it.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images

Morganton NC weather - icy this weekend

Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 47.

Thursday Night: A chance of rain, snow, and sleet. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 30. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Friday: A chance of rain, snow, and sleet. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 38. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Friday Night: A chance of snow and sleet. Cloudy, with a low around 30. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Saturday: A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a high near 39. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 26.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Running Feather View Post
    Logistics as well as a few other factors prevented attending the Mt Rogers hang this weekend. I'd been planning this trip for months. I've been making gear, tweaking gear, and testing low temp scenarios on my deck. Bottom line - I have got to get out there soon or I'll burst. Maybe a few of us that missed the Mt Rogers hang can sneak in a small winter hang together. I was looking for a place to hang which would be convenient for a bunch of us to hang this coming weekend (Feb. 6-7) and came up with South Mountains State Park map.
    Thanks Mac

Since I came up with the idea yesterday I have been watching the weather patterns deteriorate. In that light I would not ask that people travel in those conditions. The following weekend is Valentines Day so that's out too.

I'm going to leave the date open to a degree. I won't tread on Raw's hang. Let's just see what falls out

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Not only did I miss the Mt Rogers hang this past weekend, but the weather has also caused me to put the sewer line replacement on hold
    For various reasons, I'm afraid a weekend trip is not looking particularly good for me just yet... as much as I would love to.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Running Feather View Post
    Thanks Mac

Since I came up with the idea yesterday I have been watching the weather patterns deteriorate. In that light I would not ask that people travel in those conditions. The following weekend is Valentines Day so that's out too.

I'm going to leave the date open to a degree. I won't tread on Raw's hang. Let's just see what falls out
    I'm sure we can get a trip in fairly soon, maybe a couple of them.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts