Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ANybody using a skeeter beeter ??

I was thinking about building another hammock with a mosquito net top, but the beeter is pretty cheap, less than $50 at campmor.

Either that or I buy or build something like an eno bug net but thats a bit heavy.

Can you reduce the weight any by changing the suspension ??

Or a pro ??

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    tammons:
    My daughter, signifigant other and her daughter each have the Grand Trunk ABES. They all like them and I have gotten to kids, ages 8 and 13 out camping and the signifigant other as well to join me. They were not that expensive plus I can use them later when I upgrade the others to new hammocks as loaners to people I am trying to convert. You can find them listed at Campmor.com (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40707) at a price of $109.00. It is a good starter set-up that will get somebody into the woods comfortable, covered and bug free. My only complaint with this unit was it was too small for me, too much shoulder squeeze! I hope this helps.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1" PloyPro Straps
    I use the SB Pro and my son uses the SB. They are great hammocks. I much prefer the SB Pro as it gives me a lot more room to lay diagonally in so more comfortable. The SB is great for my 12 yo son but just too small for me. there is about a foot difference in the length.

You can get a little lighter but the suspension isn't the heavy part of these hammocks. With the 400 lb rating on the SB Pro I think the material is quite a bit heavier than hammocks marketed as "light". Still, swap out the steel 'S' hooks and rope for rings or cinch buckles and webbing or amsteel or zing it. If you really want to "geek out" go for the marlin spike also

Thanks thats just the info I needed.

I already have a tarp and a MYOG hammock and I am tall and like to sleep diagonal, so I just need either a bug net or a new hammock with a bug net. The one I already have is comfy, but adding a 16oz bug net will make it a bit heavy.

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post
    Thanks thats just the info I needed.

I already have a tarp and a MYOG hammock and I am tall and like to sleep diagonal, so I just need either a bug net or a new hammock with a bug net. The one I already have is comfy, but adding a 16oz bug net will make it a bit heavy.
    Brandon makes a bug net that weighs 7.5oz. Might be an option if you have a hammock you already like.
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I had a SB Pro. Big, roomy, inexpensive. The sewing of bugnet to hammock body was a little sketchy but running an extra supporting stitch is within my powers.

I ended up swapping it with someone for some other piece of gear, but I'd still recommend it.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Well when I made my hammock I was experimenting and decided to use 2 layers of 1.7 oz nylon thinking that would be best so its a bit heavy. ITs long too, so I dont know if a factory bug net will even fit.

I now have enough 1.1 oz nylon to make a double with that, but I still need a bug net.

Starting from scratch on anything like that without a pattern is a real PIA. Time consuming too, so that got me thinking about the SB pro. I can always run an extra stitch over the seams.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter
    Insulation
    down bag, pad
    Suspension
    strap,biner,D-ring
    I bought a SB this summer, my first year using a hammock. Had it out on 3 trips and didn't have any problems. Slept inside the bug net in the back yard but didn't need it in the woods. It's nice to be able to flip the hammock over and use it without the bug net. I swapped out the suspension for 1" straps, carabiners and smc d-rings.

Hammock
    Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    I have a SB also. Its a slightly better hammock than the E-wins.com parrot bay model. the dif. being your SB has 4 points to hang the bugnet, which spreads it out a bit. For less than half the price the E-wins is similar quality. You get what ya pay for, tho. the bugnet can only be termed "gossamer" My 2cents worth.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast