Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Help me decide: Raven vs Darien

First things first: as my post counter suggests I'm a noob in the hammock business. I only own a OneTigris which I consider a super amazing deal for the money I paid for but the hammock itself probably holds the weak spot in all the stuff included in their kit.

So now I need a really good hammock. I've been looking around and I'm pretty much set on the DH. But when it came down to placing the order I kinda stumbled in all the options and I must say in the lack of informations available on the site. Not a rant, with all the customizations possible it's no way to show all the differences but still, things like weight and the real difference in fabrics and comfort is not easy to grasp.

I'll try to make a list of all the questions I'd like to have answered so that one can adress one or more, if not all of them at once:

1- To asym or not to asym? This is like the "big one". I'm kind of a side sleeper, even stomach but I can sleep anyway if the hammock is holding me properly and not making me roll one side to another continually. That being said, I'm not sure which one assures the best flat lay. I'm assuming the Darien, but the possibility of moving around, especially the head/foot orientation rather than the right/left one, is a major pros of the Raven.

2- Weight. I'm definitely into the UL mentality, but not to the point of drilling holes in my toothbrush so to speak. So, is anyone able to tell me which is the weight difference, assuming same configuration (net only) and fabric?

3- Fabrics. I'd like to understand how many yards of fabric there are in a hammock. Reason is I wouldn't get the 'lightweigt one' (Darien) just to put an heavy fabric on it so I'd go for a Robic 1.2 on the Darien vs the 1.6 HyperD for the Raven but still, what's the real difference in oz? If it's 1 or 2 oz I could even opt for the 1.6 on the Darien but what about comfort? Can anyone describe the difference between a 1.2 Robic and a 1.6 HyperD in terms of comfort?

4- Removable net vs fixed. Hard to say which is best. I surely like to use it only in the night time whenever possible so the Raven is a clear winner here, but the closing system of the Raven just looks wrong to me.

5- The UQ thing. The fact that the Raven comes with no UQ hooks is probably the major let down of all. Like it may close the discussion in favour of the Darien and I'm not sure why they opted for that but I think I've seen people hanging their UQ on the tie-out hooks of their Raven, so: can you use an UQ with the Raven or it's just a no-go?

Ok, sorry for the wall of text, I hope it will help future customers to clear their heads up like it will for me.

Thanks folks!

edit: forgot 'my specs' -> 170 lbs / 77 Kg and 6.2''/188 cm tall
    Last edited by Zaphock; 09-11-2017 at 10:27.

Hammock
    DH Raven/SLD Trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    Sorry i can't be of much help, but i'm waiting on my Raven to be finished. Though from all reviews, they both are excellent hammocks. I'm almost ordered the Sparrow but wanted a hammock multiple family members could use.

I went with the 1.6. I found i liked it the most for support (my SLD is 1.6 as well) and less "stretch" i guess is the word. But i'm also a big guy, so 1.2 just doesn't seem strong enough to hold me. It may be all in my mind though. Sometimes I argue with the voices in my head.
    When the wife asks, I simply say "Shug made me do it".

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaphock View Post
    2- Weight. I'm definitely into the UL mentality, but not to the point of drilling holes in my toothbrush so to speak. So, is anyone able to tell me which is the weight difference, assuming same configuration (net only) and fabric?
    3- Fabrics. I'd like to understand how many yards of fabric there are in a hammock. Reason is I wouldn't get the 'lightweigt one' (Darien) just to put an heavy fabric on it so I'd go for a Robic 1.2 on the Darien vs the 1.6 HyperD for the Raven but still, what's the real difference in oz? If it's 1 or 2 oz I could even opt for the 1.6 on the Darien but what about comfort? Can anyone describe the difference between a 1.2 Robic and a 1.6 HyperD in terms of comfort?
    Take a peek at our Hammock Calculator here.
    http://www.dreamhammock.com/HammockCalculator.html

With this tool, you can select a hammock model and tweak the specs to see the affect on the overall weight. It's due for a re-write because I'd like to add a few things to it like the ability to select net and overcover separately. Give it a try with several different setups to see how much things like fabric selection, length and width affect the weight. Also the weights given are our best guesses, but there are lots of little things that can change the final weight.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    In an 11' hammock, I believe most folks start with 4 yds of fabric- to give them a 12' blank from which to work. They probably shave a few inches of fabric off the ends before hemming. That said, the difference in weight between a 1.2oz and 1.6oz fabric would be roughly .4x4- or 1.6oz total weight difference. In reality, it may even be slightly less- if they trim down from the original 12' of fabric.

IMO, the weight difference between the Darien and Raven (fabrics being equal) is pretty negligible. The Raven is going to weigh a little more- due to the larger bug net and added zippers. That said, I love my Raven. I'm 6'1" and can get a very flat lay. I'm sure the Darien is comfortable as well. However, what sets the Raven apart is the ability to modify it (integrated bug net, store net above ridgeline, remove bug net completely). Also, the Raven has dual separating zippers on both sides- which makes for super easy underquilt adjustments. I have had zero issues hanging my two underquilts (Loco Libre Habanero & Costco Down Throw) on my Raven. Both stay in place very well. I've never used a hammock with UQ hooks; so I can't speak from experience there. However, I've never felt like my underquilts would work better if I had them.

With all of the aforementioned features, the Raven is extremely hard to beat at the $115 price tag.
    Last edited by rweb82; 09-11-2017 at 09:29.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sounds from reading your post your leaning towards the Darien.
    I have a Raven and find the Hyper D 1.6 perfect. I am 6' tall and 195 pounds.
    The removable bug net is a great option and goes on and off easily on the Raven. Lay anyway you want in it.
    UQ hooks are handy but not critical to me.
    Thants all I got for ya'.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaphock View Post
    5- The UQ thing. The fact that the Raven comes with no UQ hooks is probably the major let down of all. Like it may close the discussion in favour of the Darien and I'm not sure why they opted for that but I think I've seen people hanging their UQ on the tie-out hooks of their Raven, so: can you use an UQ with the Raven or it's just a no-go?
    This is actually the most minor detail on your list. Any major underquilt will easily fit any Dream Hammock model with or without any sort of hooks along the sides. The UQ hooks are a convenience add-on and not a necessity. The underquilt is attached to your hammock using the the suspension provided on the UQ, not the hooks on the hammock.

For some, the UQ hooks are a handy feature that helps keep the outside shoulder are of the underquilt hooked right to the edge of the hammock where it can't slip off during the night. It can also help hold the UQ in a good asym position that matches your lay.

For others, the UQ hooks are not needed, or even ignored. Since adding them adds only 7 grams to the overall weight of the hammock, many folks just throw them on anyway, just in case.

The UQ Hooks will not work with the Raven because of the way the outside edges of this hammock kinda fold over. Using UQ hooks would interfere with the netting seal and make it hang funny. You can see in the photo where the edge of the fabric is marked. This shows the folded over fabric that helps complete the netting seal on this hammock. Attaching a hook to this edge wouldn't work very well at all.
    Raven_edge.JPG

Hope this helps a bit.

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    My Raven in 1.2 Robic weighs about 16 oz, my Darien in queue right now should clock in around 13 oz or so. I should add that I had them cut down the wide Robic to standard width though.

UQ hooks are not necessary to using an underquilt. Not sure if you had a misconception there or what.

Look here at their completed builds to see what weights you can expect http://www.dreamhammock.com/RecentPhotos9.html

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    This is good info as I'm likely pulling the trigger on a Raven in the near future as well. Thanks for the insight!

Woot, good info there, thanks to all for the answers.

Summing up a lil bit: I admit I never used a 'proper' UQ, I just own the OneTigris which has a totally different hang system, which by the way I kinda like, so I know nothing about how to hang a normal one and how to use the hooks. Anyway: not a big deal, the 'major let down' for the Raven was due to my ignorance. We can scrape that from the list.

It looks like the weight and comfort will be the deciding factors. But...

Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Take a peek at our Hammock Calculator here.
    http://www.dreamhammock.com/HammockCalculator.html
    I played a bit with that and here's the result (single layer, 60'' width and continous loop only):

Darien 1.2oz = 13,72
    Darien 1.6oz = 16,63
    Raven 1.2oz = 17,82
    Raven 1.6oz = 20,73

But then I looked at the Recent Photos and there is no Darien under the 19/20 threshold and while Ravens are generally all around 23-ish oz, some hit the 27/28 mark too so I guess that's the package weight, including straps, loops and whatnot (winter cover for the Raven too?). Long story short: it looks like deciding upon the weight is gonna be a tough one since things can vary from 2-3 oz (negligible) up to 7-10 (not so negligible) pretty easily.

So: comfort! Which one is more comfortable assuming the same fabric? What assuming different fabric (1.2 for the Darien vs 1.6 for the Raven)? I was more inclined towards the 1.6 HyperD cause the Robic looks too 'plasticy' to me (like nylon I guess) but I never tried it so I may be wrong.

edit: found a couple of Darien with 1.7oz Robic and 1.6 HyperD clicking around 15 oz (10'' though) http://www.dreamhammock.com/order_de...tml?order=5689 http://www.dreamhammock.com/order_de...tml?order=5683
    Last edited by Zaphock; 09-11-2017 at 10:38.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I was just emailing Randy and was asking about fabrics and he suggested the 1.6 Hyper D. He said it has a very nice plush feel to it. Sold me on!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast