Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' Netless
    Insulation
    AHE UQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/biners

GSMNP Forney Creek/Hazel Creek--Campsite Recommendations??

Hey all, I'm planning a trip to GSMNP over the last week/weekend of October. During my last trip to the Smokies, I learned that some sites are better than others and that I should have done some more recon before I booked the sites I was using. So, I guess this post is because I just wanted to gather some intel on the campsites along the route I'm planning. I'll be doing the Forney Creek/Hazel Creek loop, beginning and ending at Clingman's Dome. It's about a 55 mi. loop and I'll be there Wednesday-Monday, doing some casual fishing along the way. The sites along the creek are a mix of hiker-only and horse-friendly sites, which always raises some questions with me. Does anybody have any recommendations for sites I should hit along my route? I'd prefer to avoid skanky water, and I would also appreciate any input as far as which sites offer more solitude/quality hanging spots. Any input is appreciated!
    Last edited by loganwmatt; 09-13-2017 at 12:58.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    MacCat standard
    Insulation
    Undergound Quilt
    Suspension
    Arrowhead whoopies
    All the sites along Hazel Creek have lots of flowing water so no "skank". I have stayed at 86 (Proctor), it is nice, but big and likely to be crowded if the weather is nice. I have also stayed at 83, also nice but big and likely to be crowded. 83 is a good spot to set up camp and then hike up the Bone Valley Tral. I've hiked past the sites in between, they are right on the side of the trail and next to the creek, not very private and likely to be crowded. I've only hiked past 82 once and don't really remember it, but it is far enough up the valley that crowds are probably less of a problem.

On Forney Creek, the only site I've stayed at is 74. It is a large site, but the one time I was there, the forecast was for crappy weather and I suspect it scared most people away. It is a good site with a very short walk to the shore of Fontana. Forney Creek is big enough that "skank" should not be a problem.

Make sure you check out Andrews Bald if you have not seen it before

hope that helps

My son and I hiked up Hazel Creek this summer on a three day two night hike and fishing trip. We camped at 83 the first night and 82 the second. We liked both.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' Netless
    Insulation
    AHE UQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/biners
    Definitely helpful! That's true, I hadn't thought about the fact that all the water sources along the way will be on a major creek, rather than some of the smaller creeks. I had eyeballed 74 online but was worried it would be crowded. Given that it's the end of the month and the beginning of colder weather, I'd imagine that I'll be safe from the crowds. I've only seen Gregory Bald, so I will give Andrews Bald a look. It's a short jaunt off the trail, so I'll make it happen. Thanks for the tips!

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' Netless
    Insulation
    AHE UQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/biners
    Quote Originally Posted by TNhunter View Post
    My son and I hiked up Hazel Creek this summer on a three day two night hike and fishing trip. We camped at 83 the first night and 82 the second. We liked both.
    That's good to know. Hazel Creek was the one that I was more worried about because of the number of horse-friendly sites; I'll check them both out. Thanks for the info!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    CCF Pad/ENO Blaze
    which sites did you end-up reserving?

On Forney, CS70 is nice... right in between where Jonas Creek joins Forney. 69 was tiny and right on the trail. my memory is telling me that this would not be a good hang site, but I didn't check it out all that well. you might have the same problem with 68. 68 is neat because it's right next to a really cool slide cascade. but it's also small, leaving little options for hanging. I don't quite recall what 71 was like. I've stayed at 74... it's pretty big and open... I hung there without issue, but I was the only one there so had plenty of options.

it's been awhile since I've done Hazel Creek, except for 86. 86 is nice... has several sites right on the creek that are well separated from other sites... very private. and there's a restored historic home really close by that you can check out. and of course the ruins of the old logging town... very strange remnants all over the place and a couple of big cemeteries. 86 is also popular with the boater crowd.... could be surprisingly full in late October. BTW, you'd better get your reservations the first day you can because late October is a prized time to backpack.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    CCF Pad/ENO Blaze
    oh, and be prepared for wet fords on upper Forney Creek. above CS70, they are all unbridged and some are tricky and perhaps impassible in high water.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' Netless
    Insulation
    AHE UQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/biners
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
    which sites did you end-up reserving?

On Forney, CS70 is nice... right in between where Jonas Creek joins Forney. 69 was tiny and right on the trail. my memory is telling me that this would not be a good hang site, but I didn't check it out all that well. you might have the same problem with 68. 68 is neat because it's right next to a really cool slide cascade. but it's also small, leaving little options for hanging. I don't quite recall what 71 was like. I've stayed at 74... it's pretty big and open... I hung there without issue, but I was the only one there so had plenty of options.

it's been awhile since I've done Hazel Creek, except for 86. 86 is nice... has several sites right on the creek that are well separated from other sites... very private. and there's a restored historic home really close by that you can check out. and of course the ruins of the old logging town... very strange remnants all over the place and a couple of big cemeteries. 86 is also popular with the boater crowd.... could be surprisingly full in late October. BTW, you'd better get your reservations the first day you can because late October is a prized time to backpack.
    Haven't made any reservations yet; that's good info though. Especially about the end of October being prime time. Didn't know that. I'll go ahead and book them today. Sounds like the best options--for the amount of distance I want to do each day--are 74, 77, 86, 82, and the Siler's Bald shelter. Any major red flags on any of those (with the obvious exception of the ones you recommended)? 82 was also recommended earlier, so I feel pretty solid about that one.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    MacCat standard
    Insulation
    Undergound Quilt
    Suspension
    Arrowhead whoopies
    The only other thing to consider is that Upper Hazel Creek (where it switches to hiker only) is one of the trails with high water warnings. I hiked this a couple years ago after crazy rains and most of the trail was a running stream and the many small crossing were actually a little scary. That was an interesting day

The park map lists the trails with high water warnings, but Hazel Creek is not on the list, this is what got me. Later, I noticed that "Upper Hazel Creek" was on the high water warning list.

If you end up staying at 86, make sure you cross the bridge and go check out the Calhoun House on the other side of the creek. The porch is a great place for lunch if it is raining

and as you head up the Hazel Creek trail, take time to poke around the old mill ruins.

Depending on the day, you should consider the side trail to Bone Valley. It should be doable since the trail is pretty flat and easy between 86 and 82.

Just thinking about it, I wish I could crash your trip, I love that part of the park and October is an awesome time to be there.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' Netless
    Insulation
    AHE UQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/biners
    Dang, I dig the pics. Yeah, that is something to consider. I hadn't thought about the potential for high water. It sounds like I've got a couple of can't-miss side trails to check out. You're more than welcome to tag along if you don't mind stopping periodically for some (admittedly amateur) fly fishing! Can't book until 30 days out but I'm amenable to anybody tagging along, really.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast