HH and emergency space blanket (ESB)

I have a HH Hyperlite with Undercover and OCF Underpad. I place my pack and compactor-bag liner between Undercover and OCF pad. I have a 25 deg. sleeping bag inside, but I'm still cold on the bottom, esp. when the wind blows. I'm ready to add an emergency space blanket (ESB). Questions:
    1) Do I place the ESB between the OCF and hammock bottom -- or between the OCF and Undercover?
    2) Or, do I put the ESB UNDER the Undercover and just use it as a wind break?
    3) In any of these options, does the shiny side face up -- or down? I heard down prevents condensation.
    Note: I do not want to increase my weight by adding a quilt or interior pad to my configuration. Thanks.

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Just my opinion but:
    1. I would put the ESB between the hammock and the undercover.
    2. The undercover is a windbreak all by itself since it's made of silnylon. The ESB is used as a radiant heat reflector.
    3. It probably doesn't much matter which side is up, but if they are drastically different put the shiny side toward the body. Neither way will prevent condensation since it is a non-breathable vapor barrier.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Images
    don' use one, but i would think between the ocf and the under cover.
    2 reasons:
    the esb works better when there is air between you and it, it doesn't reflect convective heat, only radiant heat, ocf is probably the best thing to use actually.

and any condensation would be absorbed by the ocf, the other way it would be absorbed by the hammock fabric, and then you.

Images
    let us know how it works, i've been wondering how much warmer it makes things.

you should check out something called heat or heet sheets, its space blanket on one side and then probably 1/32 of an inch of ocf. on the other. it doesn't make noise like a space blanket and seems very very durable but still incredibly light.
    haven't tried them yet, but hoping to try them inside my underquilt when it cools down.

they are sold to go under bed sheets, last time i googled them i could not find them...Brandon

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Tumble, glad you took my advice and came over to HF. As to your last post on WB, I guess warbonnetguy answered that. I didn't think about the ocf soaking-up any condensation.

Welcome to the forum, you'll find all your hammock questions answered here!

Thanks everybody. I'm going out tomorrow night. When I get back I'll let you know what I tried and how it worked.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    thats the beauty of the claytor jungle hammock,simply slide the pad of your choice between the 2 layers,the pad stays in place and you can hardly feel its there,no underquilt,no undershield,no space blanet no hassle,i am so glad i ditched the hennessey hammock almost a year and half now neo

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Most folks who try radiant heat reflectors drop them for something lighter that gives more bang for the ounce. My personal opinion - one reason they're generally useful in emergencies is b/c it's a windblock...which we've already taken care of in a hammock with the pad/undercover/etc. I don't think the radiant reflector actually returns enough heat to be worth the extra weight. Replacing that much weight with more down or thicker synthetic insulation, inside whatever undercover you're using, would probably keep you warmer. (I haven't tested that...just anecdotal evidence.)

So in your situation, I'd say forego the space blanket and get the torso and kidney pads, or even another OCF pad from HH. But it's certainly worth testing if you want to...it would definitely contribute to the body of knowledge here at HF.

What temps are you comfortable at with just the undercover and OCF?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Couple years back we went through several iterations of mylar space blankets for bottom insulation.... When used as wind block items , the slightest nick or tear resulted in destruction as a shield (make sure you have a back up to this approach if out for more than one night)....Some gains were made when used between two layes to protect it...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts