Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New to hammock camping

Hi!

I've been looking into trying hammock camping for my shorter trips. I have a cheap gathered end hammock that I've been dragging with me on those trips and really like it (been sleeping in a tent on those trips btw). So now I'm looking for what I want to invest in for overnight trips in a hammock (for next year though!).

Use: Shorter trips from May to October, no winter camping, but temperatures might drop below 0C at night. I'm 5'6", 145 lbs.

- Hammock: Been looking at a Dream Hammock Sparrow, WBBB, Dutchware Chameleon? Needs to have a removable bugnet, don't think I need an top cover?
    - Suspension: Already got Dutchware Beetle buckles
    - Tarp: No ideas, but I don't want to invest in an expensive cuben tarp yet. Doors, no doors?
    - Bottom insulation: I only have thermarest sleeping pads (that I'm guessing wont work in a hammock), so I'm looking at UQ but don't know what to look for.
    - Top insulation: I already have a Cumulus Comforter M350 and a Montbell Down Hugger 800 #0. Will a comforter be too drafty?

Any tips will be very helpful!
    Last edited by _Julie; 09-15-2017 at 03:02.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    " Will a comforter be too drafty?" Only if your toes are poking out from edges.
    If you get an 11 foot hammock-- get a tarp at least 11 feet long at ridgeline.
    Maybe get 12 feet long tarp at ridgeline. Doors are recommended to cut down on breezes and blowing rain.
    I cheated on my tarp--no doors, but it's 13 feet at ridgeline and 12 feet wide--it's oversized but what I wanted. And I can bend fabric inwards on the end to make pretend doors.
    Use pads and comforter until you can shop for a set of top and bottom quilts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!

I was thinking an 11 foot hammock and a 12 foot tarp. There is an elastic drawcord at the bottom of the comforter so I can make a foot box if I want, but it won't close completely. This is mainly for good weather hiking near home, but I want some protection just in case (and I don't want to be cold). Will a thermarest xtherm max be uasble in a hammock? I thought I'd have to buy an exped-style sleeping pad (and therefore I's rather spend that money on an UQ). If you have a good example of a tarp, please share a link. There are so many!

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    Tarp - you might consider a Winter Dream tarp from UGQ. It has doors to close up for cold weather/rainy/snowy weather as well as for privacy when changing clothes, etc... You can tie the doors back to keep them open or you can use trekking poles to prop up one side for porch mode. If you also purchase the internal poles mod it will open it up inside even more. Comes in a wide variety of colors and fabrics. http://ugqoutdoor.com/tarps/silpoly-winterdream-tarps/

Pads - generally you can't use pads in a regular hammock (not saying it can't be done...). With that said you can probably use them in a bridge hammock and the Amok Draumr is required to have a pad as part of it's structural make up. Some double layer hammocks allow you to slip insulation between the layers (thinking Hennessys). For the most part, depending on the hammock you buy it's best to get an UQ for insulation to prevent CBS and a TQ in the hammock (or your comforter!).
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    you can definitely use a pad in a hammock

it's not ideal, but you can make it work until you KNOW you want to hammock camp

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    For UQ you might check out DD Hammocks in UK, http://www.ddhammocks.com/no/product...et?from_cat=36
    I am from Minnesota but got too cold arround 6 to 10* C, until I got the DD Underblanket.

I have a Hennessy Hammock classic, so I already had a tarp.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Thanks! I'll check out Winter Dream.

Hmm, so maybe I can mod my comforter to use as an UQ? It's 210x120cm/83x47in, 350g 850 down, elastic drawcord at both ends and several loops along the sides.

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    you can definitely use a pad in a hammock

it's not ideal, but you can make it work until you KNOW you want to hammock camp
    This is true. I have done it, and it's not terrible. I live in a place that never gets below about 45 degrees, so I can't vouch for it in real cold.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have a 11' tarp with doors. I normally don't close the doors just stake them out straight inline with edge of tarp. I like the doors and if only had one tarp it would have doors. Cuben is nice but sil nylon is just as good but a little heavier.

I have net less and netted hammocks. Like them both. I would likely have a netted hammock if only one.

Too insulation can be whatever keeps you warm. Sleeping bags work fine. That can be upgraded later.

Under quilts are really comfortable. But a pad will work to get you hanging. Just try and see how things work before investing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by _Julie View Post
    Thanks! I'll check out Winter Dream.

Hmm, so maybe I can mod my comforter to use as an UQ? It's 210x120cm/83x47in, 350g 850 down, elastic drawcord at both ends and several loops along the sides.
    I would definitely try that as opposed to using a pad, imho pads in a hammock suck.

creek

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast