Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Klymit v luxe orientation in Ridgerunner

Hello all. I"m brand new to hammock camping. Just spent my first night (backyard) in the Ridgerunner bridge hammock last night. Great nights sleep! Super comfortable.

I'm using a new Klymit V Luxe insulated pad between the double layers. This pad has two LARGE valves at the corners that stick up about 1 inch. I first positioned them "valve up" at the head end but could feel the valves pressing against the inner layer. I was afraid this positioning long term might rub through the hammock fabric. So I got up and flipped the pad and pulled it out enough for the valves to clear the bottom layer. This worked but kept the foot end a tiny bit short (no big deal). I was just wondering how the rest of you might be orienting this pad - especially Ridgerunner users? Don't know why those dang valves have to be so big. Thanks.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Why not flip the pad over?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I have the same pad and hammock. I also wonder why the valves have to be so large and protrude so much. But I guess I have never worried about it wearing through the hammock fabric. Once the pad is in place and you are in the hammock I don't think there is much, if any, movement of the pad. And when the pad is stationary I don't think just the pressure of the valves on the fabric will do much damage.
    I may be wrong - but I haven't seen and problems in my setup yet.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

I may be worrying about nothing, but I think I'll be sending this pad back. I had just slid it in during daylight hours yesterday without climbing in. It fits easily into the channel with no weight on it and it felt great all night, but in the daylight I can see just how much the outer edges of the pad are pressing into the outer fabric edges of the upper layer while I'm laying in it. It really is stretching the hammock fabric at the edges and I can see the entire edge of the pad pushing up against the fabric. If I deflate it about halfway it's not as bad, but I don't want to HAVE to do that. Between the valves being so large and thinking it's just a little too wide for this layer channel, I think I'll try something else - hopefully a couple inches narrower. Probably this hammock is tough enough to take it but I'd rather not even worry about it. Thank you all for your input.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Why not just lay the pad in the hammock rather than between layers?
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Why not just lay the pad in the hammock rather than between layers?
    Shug
    Hi Shug - love your videos. I'm a total newbie at this and I'm learning a lot from them.

That's a great suggestion, but when I tried it I felt like it really gave me less side "tuck in room" at the edges for my unzipped sleeping bag (don't have a top quilt yet). Maybe I wouldn't feel that way if the pad wasn't quite so wide - 30 inches. This Ridgerunner has very low side edges as it is and I hate to make them any "lower" by raising myself up inside. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Hex 12
    Insulation
    DIY TQ / UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Evo Loops & Straps
    Bribak,

I also use the luxe in my WB Ridgerunner. I agree that it's a snug fit between the two layers, but that is also what I really like about it. When sleeping and moving around on it, the pad doesn't move at all which is very nice. I think if you slightly under inflate, it helps account for where the fabric is tight against the pad (mostly in the middle area).

For me with the valves, I just leave them sticking up at the head end and shift the pad an inch or two towards the head end. I haven't noticed any problems with them this way.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Bribak,
    You have probably already sent your V Luxe back but...I don't think the wide pad puts any excessive stress on the hammock fabric and I really like the 30" width at the shoulders (without adding any extension wings). With the pad slightly wrapped up at the edges around my shoulders and the top quilt draping over from the top it gets nice and cozy.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Hex 12
    Insulation
    DIY TQ / UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Evo Loops & Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    Bribak,
    You have probably already sent your V Luxe back but...I don't think the wide pad puts any excessive stress on the hammock fabric and I really like the 30" width at the shoulders (without adding any extension wings). With the pad slightly wrapped up at the edges around my shoulders and the top quilt draping over from the top it gets nice and cozy.
    I just wish it was a little bit lighter... (35 oz). It does pack down well though.

Hammock
    DIY dl bridge
    Tarp
    Diy silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor ink straps
    Don't send it back! It's a great pad and will keep you warm on a cold night.
    Don't over inflate it. About half or a little more. I don't think the valves will hurt anything.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast