Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    So wouldn't putting IX on the outer surface of a KAQ produce similar results?
    Depends on the conditions and the occupant, as always with condensation.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Depends on the conditions and the occupant, as always with condensation.
    Very true. Folks who use the Hennessy SS have reported good results. That's a vapor barrier bottom and OCF. So it clearly can work for some.

There are certainly trends to look at, and even when the science is sound - there are so many variables that two people with the same setups in the same place on the same night can have very different results.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Thankyou for this thread, i missed out on alot of the insultex stuff, nice cathcup. Looking forward to your summaries everytime something goes down mac.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Excellent report-out. I'm still trying to figure out how to keep my (always cold) feet warm with a 2/3rds quilt.

So what I'm hearing is:

1. Don't put a multi-layer IX pad under my legs as compressing the IX is an issue.

2. Tie up an extender to my current UQ, with another layer of conforming insulation between the hammock and the IX?

Since I sometimes still have CBS with my UQ (did I mention I'm a COLD sleeper?), adding a smal piece of IX under the south-end of the UQ may fix that...

If that would work, does anybody have 1-2yds of IX they'd be willing to part with? :-)

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    1. Don't put a multi-layer IX pad under my legs as compressing the IX is an issue.
    I use IX under my legs without issue...
    2. Tie up an extender to my current UQ, with another layer of conforming insulation between the hammock and the IX?
    That could work well! Try it first without the conforming layer.
    Since I sometimes still have CBS ...adding a small piece of IX under the south-end of the UQ may fix that...
    Done that! Works for me!
    If that would work, does anybody have 1-2yds of IX they'd be willing to part with? :-)
    PM sent.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY (&c.)
    I've not personally inspected Insultex but I've read about it and seen these pictures (thanks to Grizz! ).

As it appears to me, Insultex basically provides an insulated membrane; i.e., the air trapped by the membrane is the primary insulator (not the membrane itself), much like an air-filled plastic bag (Garlington Insulator), but better because convective heat loss and condensation is reduced due to its low thermal conductivity (the insulation of the membrane itself).

The more layers the better, but I think each layer should be supported to prevent collapse of the air space. A small amount of down (or other fluffy stuff) might work well, or one or more inflatable airtight chambers (plastic bags are quick and easy).

In any case, it seems that Insultex is very similar (if not essentially identical) to some thin foam packaging materials which are available in various forms (airtight or perforated, polypropylene or polyethylene, thick or thin, &c.); it can be purchased new on rolls or scavenged from the various products it wraps. It can be somewhat fragile, and I imagine that's why Insultex has a layer of scrim (though I don't see it the pictures above); otherwise, I don't know what makes Insultex different.

Comments?

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I think you have it for the most part, Albert!

Insultex may be more breathable than we think. That is the biggest difference between it and generic polyehtylene sheet.

Also, the scrim does a lot to create the necessary air gap underneath the covering material. It doesn't take much.

A down Karo quilt with IX on the outside is something I would like to see... maybe I'll make one next winter!
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12