Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images

What we've learned about Insultex

Angrysparrow and I have been joking about IX being applied to every insulation need... if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail! I've enjoyed trying lots of different things, but the truth is that there are things that IX does not do well at all. I've tried it in clothing, UQs, TQs, inserts, and balled up inside a hammock sock.

So, what have we learned about IX recently?

• IX is a vapor barrier, no matter what the manufacturer says about perforation. The point is, it behaves as one.
    • IX is compressible, meaning you can compress the low density polyehtylene layer and lose the insulating properties. It's hard to compress it in a stuff sack, but it is compressible as a thin layer insulator.
    • IX must fit well in order to insulate well. It is therefore difficult to make an IX-only UQ. That's why my IX hammock sock works, but my IX-only UQs do not. IX inserts work well if they are fastened to an existing UQ.
    • IX works very well on the outside of a down or synthetic UQ.
    • IX works well (like a space blanket) on the inside of an UQ.
    • IX works well on the outside of a TQ, such as supplementing a thin synthetic quilt, or wrapping the footbox of a TQ.
    • IX works extremely well balled up loosely in a Garlington insulator.
    • multi-layer IX-only UQs have not done well in cold weather; they might be great in milder weather.

The most effective uses I have found are the IX Hammock Sock, and one yard of raw IX inside the PeaPod or UQ. Those two applications have been very successful. I anticipate that IX in the outer shell of a KAQ will really KA!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Well Mac, I don't want to contradict you, different strokes for different folks, but the quilt I made out of ripstop, IX, and fleece worked very well for me.
    If you can remember, that is all I used at the last Uwharrie hang, and if anything, I was actually too warm.
    Not sure how low the temperatures got, but I was quite toasty. As a matter of fact, I wanted to ask you about using IX with a heavier material (fleece) to make a UQ, since my Q's dimensions are only 6" x 13" once rolled and stuffed.
    Don't let up until you hear cartilage snap, or they crap in their pants. Sal Bandini

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trugracie View Post
    Well Mac, I don't want to contradict you...
    You haven't! It's IX-only UQs that haven't worked well. When you use it in conjunction with something, fleece, Climashield, Lamilite, or down, it works well! I think the other materials help it fit. In other words, IX is sewn to another material that is better at fitting.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Well in that case, what fabric would you recommend to use with the IX for an UQ?
    I was thinking fleece, but its kinda pointless since it ain't contacting the skin, don't you think?
    Don't let up until you hear cartilage snap, or they crap in their pants. Sal Bandini

Hammock
    In a SkeeterBeaterPro...for now
    If I may add two more things about IX:

Insultex does soften with use. If you make a quilt and it doesn't drape very well, run the finished product through a washing machine a few times and it should relax quite a bit. This will also make it easier to pack.

When using IX on the outside of a quilt, over-insulating and overheating can cause significant condensation on the inner surface. This may be hidden by whatever other insulation you are pairing the IX with. For example, if you have a Climashield/IX quilt and overheat, water vapor will pass through the Climashield and then condense on the IX, trapping sweat in the quilt. You may not notice this immediately because the Climashield and the outsides of the quilt will feel dry. If you store it in this condition, however, you will certainly notice next time you need to use it.
    A free canoe is better than no canoe.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    I'm starting to get a better understanding of what is needed to make the IX work as I expected.
    Marry it to a....conforming material...like under a down or lofting material.
    1e...
    ripstop
    climashield
    IX
    ripstop

Tho I don't see how it works as a conforming piece when on top of somethiing
    ie....
    ripstop
    IX
    climashield
    ripstop

Thanks to all those who are posting their experiences....
    Mac...Thank you, in particular, for all the info...
    Tom

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trugracie View Post
    Well in that case, what fabric would you recommend to use with the IX for an UQ?
    I was thinking fleece...
    Do you mean, What insulation would I recommend?

Try Climashield... although I think IX will boost any insulation. Some people wonder if IX has enough resistance to thermal conductivity to be more worthwhile than a space blanket or another material that is only a vapor barrier. I am certain there is more than a vapor barrier in IX. It insulates well, if it fits well.

The problem is that IX is a vapor barrier. That's why I recommend putting it on the outer shell of an UQ, if it is sewn in. If it is temporary, it also will work on the inner shell, against the hammock.

TOB9595, I like that way of putting it... a conforming material.

Salmonofdoubt, you make a good point about condensation when IX is sewn in as an outer layer. It may not be a problem with an UQ, like a KAQ, unless you are overheated. If it is a problem, it makes a good case for a removable insert.
    Last edited by MacEntyre; 02-01-2010 at 14:38.
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    I anticipate that IX in the outer shell of a KAQ will really KA!

- MacEntyre
    I gotta question that one because I believe you'll have condensate problems.

At this weekend's Jersey Winter Hang (which got down to about 8F) I lent my friend a HH Expedition. For insulation I hung a KAQ inside a SS undercover (which acts as a vapor barrier). When we took down his rig the inside of the SS and the bottom surface of the KAQ were soaked with moisture. So wouldn't putting IX on the outer surface of a KAQ produce similar results?
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    I gotta question that one because I believe you'll have condensate problems.

At this weekend's Jersey Winter Hang (which got down to about 8F) I lent my friend a HH Expedition. For insulation I hung a KAQ inside a SS undercover (which acts as a vapor barrier). When we took down his rig the inside of the SS and the bottom surface of the KAQ were soaked with moisture. So wouldn't putting IX on the outer surface of a KAQ produce similar results?
    The trick is I think to also put a vapor barrier between the body and the UQ. Last winter I used a DIY UQ whose inner body was sil, because it was going into a sock whose bottom half was sil. Keep the moisture out of the quilt to begin with.

seemed to work.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Yeah, wasn't that the knock on the ENO Ember?
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast