Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Lightbulb Re-rigging my WL old man winter

While I was on the HG website a few weeks ago ordering my new -10° quilt set, I also picked up some Lineloc 3's, 100' hank of Lawson reflective Glow wire, 50' of 3/32 shock cord, some double sided mitten hooks and a Xenon 1.1 tarp skin. I had been using reflective shock cord loops larks headed to the grosgrain tabs with reflect it larks headed to that and a MSH to attach it to the stake. I had it on all 6 guy out points and the doors. The panel pulls were 550 cord w/ inline shock cord tensioners from my Snugpak tarp since I ran out of reflect it.

Doing it that way was OK, but it was hard to adjust quickly and the reflect it tangled and got knots in it very easily. P!us I couldn't adjust it from under the tarp, I had to go out to the stake and re do the MSH. So, to ease adjustment and make the doors easier to use , I added Lineloc 3's to all of the guy out points plus the 4 panel pulls. And for line I'm using Lawson's reflective Glow wire with in-line reflective shock cord tensioners and a small loop on the end to attach it to the stake. For the doors, I made a large loop with the 3/32 shock cord and larks headed it to the grosgrain tabs. Now, instead of having to bend down and undo a MSH to go in/out, all I have to do is just push them aside and they snap back into place since they are just looped over the stake. I might also add a double sided mitten hook so the shock cord can be removed at the tab .

So far rigging the tarp this way is much better than before I think and the glow wire is stiff enough to not tangle or knot up at all if I don't have it neatly wrapped before sliding up the tarp skin. Im realm digging the Xenon tarp skin too, it fits the OMW perfectly and looks pretty slick. So enough rambling on, here's the vid showing all that. Lemme know if you have a questions about any of it. Enjoy !

https://youtu.be/kPPKlHkByMo
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Senior Member Andy "Bull" Bullock's Avatar
    Hammock
    WB ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB lynx & Costco
    Suspension
    straps+Dutch bling
    Thanks! It's good to see how others have thought out their winter tarps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HH Expl Dlx, Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Tadpole
    Insulation
    HH SS, Jarbidge
    Suspension
    various
    My set up is extremely close. I use reflective shock cord loops lark's headed to the grosgrain loops with LineLok3's lark's headed to the shock loops. I run reflect-it to the stakes, and have a loop Brummel spliced into one end of the line to loop over the stake. For doors, I use a length of reflective shock cord with TATO door hooks, so I can stake them out, hook the two doors on one side together and out of the way, or hook them to the opposing corner tie-out to close tightly.

I'm still carrying around a set of tie-outs for the panel pulls - I just haven't put them on or needed them yet. I have my doubts that I'll need the fine-tuning ability of LineLoks for the panels when I have them on all the corner tie-outs.
    Thanks,
    Ranc0r

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I was kinda thinking the same thing about the linelocs on the panel pulls as well. I put them on to try it out but I think I'll proly end up taking them off. And like you, I might go back to having the reflective shock cord loops larksheaded to the tabs w/ the lineloc off of that instead of having the shock cord in-line as a tensioner. But I like having the tensioners be a weak spot in the system so Idk. I'll keep it this way for a bit and see how I like it. And for the doors, I also got some double sided mitten hooks that I think I'm gonna use on the foot end so I can undo it at the tarp if I want since that's the end I mostly go in and out of when using my XLC. I think I might have used a little too much glow wire on the corners and panel pulls but oh well. Overall, I'm really like it is way now with how easily adjustable it is and how the glow wire doesn't knot or tangle like the reflect it does. And having the Xenon sleeve now makes it even easier to use.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I start out putting split rings on the guy line D-loops or the nylon itself if they are just the loop. That way I have a point of failure that is not the tarp and I don't have fabric rubbing against fabric (is a guy line is used against a nylon loop). Then I put Figure-9's on the split rings. That way I could adjust the tension from the tarp side of the guy line, not the stake side. However, I didn't like stuffing my tarp tightly in its bag with all those (admittedly not very sharp) "points" on the figure-9. And it weighed a lot - but the package would weigh just as much if the components were separated. Then I learned a new knot. I used the figure-9's because I grew tired of having to pull line when tying a TautLine Hitch. In this forum there was another knot mention - began with a "K" I believe. It's more like a prussic with a slip release and it doesn't require pulling the full length of the guy line around and around. So my figure-9's are not gone from the guy points, but I do use them at each end for ridge line attachment. I have a CRL so I biner to a split ring at the end, go around the tree, go back through that (mini) biner to the other end of the tarp. I go through a mini biner there (on a split ring), around the tree and back of a figure - on the same split ring (or short 2.2 mm tether). I have a figure-9 at each end so I don't have to worrying about which is the start or finish end when I set up.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    The amok tarps are rigged that way originally, and I'm really happy with how well they behave

constantly considering adding an internal pole mod tho

• + New Posts