Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY "warbird"
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut silnyl
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Going to ground in a hammock

Sorry if this has been covered to death, but a quick search didn't seem to find it...

I'm definitely going to evolve from ground dweller to hanger soon. In those situations where you have to go to ground, e.g. above tree line, only scrub for miles, etc. and there's no tent to share, what is the preferred setup? (Well, I know it's never preferred to go to ground, but youknowhatimean...)

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    To be prepared, you will have a pad and know how to use your hammock as a bivvy, because you have practiced...

I have no experience at all with going to ground after intending to hang!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Be Prepared!
    I find that using my tarp in a tent mode works, so a pad of some type would be a good idea in the mix of stuff - just saying.
    Tarps can be set in a variety of positions from A-frame to a flying wedge (one end open). Hiking sticks come in really handy at times like this.

ASM Trp 165
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    It helps if your hammock is designed to go to ground. The Mosquito Hammocks seem to do this quite well, the Hennesseys and most others not so good. I've not tried to go to ground with my Warbonnet Traveler and bug net, but doesn't look like it would do well on the ground. What has worked for me is just to use the tarp and sleep on my pad, leaving the hammock in its stuff sack. Of course, if it's warm you'll probably need some bug protection. The important thing is to practice at home, learning how to set up while a large number of hungry mosquitoes are trying to suck all your blood out can be difficult.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    with the use of my treking poles, my hammock can be set up on the ground. It aint purty!! It's also not comfortable, duh. But it's do-able and I have tried it in the back yard. This lead me to the conclusion that I never, ever, want to have to do this while backpacking!!!
    So, try practicing at home by setting up your tarp and hammock with treking poles or hiking sticks/poles. It's best to be prepared for the worst and never have that happen than to be in the worst situation and not know what to do.
    TinaLouise

Hammock
    DL 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly/snakeskin
    Insulation
    exped 9 dlx, sb UQ
    Suspension
    warbonnet straps
    Images
    I've been tinkering with how to make this idea work and got a thread about it here (with pics):
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=13131
    so far I'm not totally happy with any of my ideas. In bivy mode my blackbird will do but I don't think I'd want to do this for a week or so. I have a cheap kiddie walmart 14 dollar tent that will pass as a better week long shelter than trying to make my hammock into a bivy. oh god, as much as I don't want to say this but will I have to get a real tent for these types of trips? I do have a exped 9 dlx down air mattress (dam) that is real comfy so that'll make being on the ground somewhat nicer, and I can use it in my hammock and that does a nice job of keeping me warm. I've looked at a bunch of pad options and the dam I think will work out better for getting it into the small hatches of a kayak, and fit better on my motorcycle, etc. ......

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    oh, dear...i replied to one of your previous threads - it got a bit confusing.

I see you've given up on making the WBBB into a bivy. Pity, you were doing so well.

Hammock
    DL 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly/snakeskin
    Insulation
    exped 9 dlx, sb UQ
    Suspension
    warbonnet straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sandykayak View Post
    oh, dear...i replied to one of your previous threads - it got a bit confusing.

I see you've given up on making the WBBB into a bivy. Pity, you were doing so well.
    I haven't really given up, but I need a sure plan first. development will still go on when I come up with new ideas. you can use the bb in bivy mode for those rare cases but I'd like to have a bit more comfort for a weeks worth.

Hammock
    DIY "warbird"
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut silnyl
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by spidennis View Post
    I've been tinkering with how to make this idea work and got a thread about it here (with pics):
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=13131
    That's an awesome thread - I hope you are able to figure it out without having to take a tent! Please keep posting, and let us know how your trip works out...

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I went to ground with my claytor jungle once when camped on an island with no trees. It was a bit close, other than that it was not too bad. Used canoe paddles to prop up my rain fly and hooked my netting to that. Had a thermarest under me and lots of sand so it was pretty comfortable. All in all it wasn't a horrid experience, however; I was very glad to hang the next night and told the group I was with that if we did another island it had to have trees.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast