Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY "warbird"
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut silnyl
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Hammocks and lightning

As someone who lives in Tornado Alley, I sometimes wind up spending time outdoors in pretty incredible storms. I also know that many more are killed by lightning than anything else storm related. I've seen several tree strikes first hand that have left the tree permanently scarred. The odds of getting hit directly are not too high (I guess unless you're holding a golf club up in the air), but sometimes it sure does feel like a game of Russian Roulette I'd rather not play.

They always teach us to get low and away from trees, so what does everyone do when hanging between two trees and that 2:00 AM storm comes rolling in? Do you abandon? Do you stay put and hope you don't wind up glowing like a light bulb wire?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Some bail ... some stay. Like any storm in the piney woods you gotta go by gut. If the weather looks electric I do my best to not hang from the tallest trees ......... don't know if suspension conducts but I am usually to comfortable ... cross my legs and hope for the best.
    So far so good......
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    With Shug on the conducting value of suspensions - sooooo far soooo goood! I didn't cross my legs.
    However, the 1-inch diameter x 10-foot spears thrown out of a few hardwoods by strikes while hiking on the AT looked pretty impressive to me. Wouldn't want to have one of those come sailing in at midnight.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Like you, I've seen entire trees reduced to kindling, a sight not easily forgotten.

It's something I think about, but once you're there, where ya gonna go?

There's only one other way I'd rather die.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Like you, I've seen entire trees reduced to kindling, a sight not easily forgotten.

It's something I think about, but once you're there, where ya gonna go?

Explore the powers of "hunkering" and a wee prayer. Been in some doozys between hammock and tent days.
    My hair does stand kinda high.
    All of it is no laughing matter but it sure is spectacular to be in.......
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY "warbird"
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut silnyl
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Ha! Old age or "the Other Way"...?

I will say, some of the stuff that is born out of the Rockies, builds across the flatlands and eventually rolls in towards Kansas City or down towards OK or TX is nothing short of other-worldly. I doubt those specific kinds of storms occur anywhere else on the planet. I've done my share of lying in the fetal position under my metallic lightning rods tent poles praying for the end of the storm to come before my end comes.

(Trying very hard to forget about the shrapnel produced by a tree from a lightning strike) I am curious about the conductivity of a hammock. Here's hoping no one ever finds out.

I do wonder, in general, if one would be "safer" in a tent away from trees or a hammock in a lightning storm. Define "safer" I guess... Either way, I hope to soon takes my chances hanging.

Floods kill more people that any other weather related demise. Lightning can strike anywhere at any time. I have to take a weather course every two years and they make a big point of the "anytime". "Blue sky" lightening for instance.
    It's no different than being caught out on a lake in a sailboat/kayak, or caught in the middle of the desert floor, or on a mountain top. You hunker down and do your best to be invisible. I've hammocked in some very severe squall lines and thunder storms and simply stayed put....there was no where else to go except into more trees. Lightening doesn't care about your suspension lines, or if you are grounded or not. It leaps across many feet of air. If you are the lowest impedance path to ground for whatever reason....(ionization, above the flux lines, camped over a water main, etc) you're a candidate for a strike. Sleep well!

So....if you're near a building, go in it. Near your car, climb inside. However, I got zapped on my head INDOORS after the transformer outside got clobbered....that's when I learned my house wasn't grounded well. A spurious arc got me through the ceiling fan! No harm done other than some destroyed appliances.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
    Ha! Old age or "the Other Way"...?

I will say, some of the stuff that is born out of the Rockies, builds across the flatlands and eventually rolls in towards Kansas City or down towards OK or TX is nothing short of other-worldly. I doubt those specific kinds of storms occur anywhere else on the planet. I've done my share of lying in the fetal position under my metallic lightning rods tent poles praying for the end of the storm to come before my end comes.

(Trying very hard to forget about the shrapnel produced by a tree from a lightning strike) I am curious about the conductivity of a hammock. Here's hoping no one ever finds out.

I do wonder, in general, if one would be "safer" in a tent away from trees or a hammock in a lightning storm. Define "safer" I guess... Either way, I hope to soon takes my chances hanging.
    I think you make a good point highlighting the metal poles of a tent. The other thing, at least as I understand it, is that many injuries are caused by "feeders" that follow through the ground from the direct hit. While lightning is very unpredictable, I take solace in being off the ground. I have read a lot of stuff on lightning, and what I take from it is that perhaps the safest place to be is in a large grove of trees of similar height. If lightning strikes it will be random and to avoid as much as one can, contact with the ground.

If T-storms are in the forecast, I avoid large trees and trees in open areas (like river's edge), and I do feel safer in a hammock. I think another important consideration is wind and falling limbs, so it is important to inspect the potential deadfall that may be looming.

I also understand that lightning flows similar to water, which is one reason gullies and low areas that are moist should be avoided. I am not a scientist, and profess only to my own reading on the issue as it comes up every trip when I take groups canoeing. Most folks go to their tents though I tell them the safest position is to spread out so if someone is struck, there are others to assist, get low, squat on the balls of your feet and cover your head and your ears with your arms and hands so if there is a close strike, you will preserve your hearing. No one has taken me up on the advice yet. They all run to their tents and lay on their pads waiting for the storm to pass. Giving the advice keeps my lawyer happy though.

Like your area, the Great Lakes area can pack some real bangers. Storms tend to gain intensity as they cross the lakes, providing for some heavy duty squall lines. I have been in storms where I could literally smell the electricity in the air, and have said a little prayer of thanks when I come out on the other side.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Here is a first hand account of a hammock hanger being struck...
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    I grew up in southern ontario which is one of the highest strike areas in canada. Its one of the things i've missed since being out west. In the kootenays we rarely get lightening storms and when we do i go outside to watch.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast