Multiple Warbonnet Hammocks
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies

One last question before I buy

I'm getting ready to order a TeWa 3 season UQ. Even though it's a 3 season I still plan to use it for the remainder of this winter with the understanding that I may need to add a little more insulation under me. I'm also in the market for a new hammock (I have an ENO Single) and a cat-cut tarp (I have a rectangular tarp I don't like.) For just a couple of dollars more then the price of the UQ I could get a WB Traveler 1.7 Dbl and an MacCat Deluxe. I have a Therm-A-Rest Ridge Rest for a pad. Will a 3 season quilt or the the pad keep me warmer during the winter months. I'm guessing that I should do the UQ and use the pad as added insulation and replace the hammock and tarp, that I already have, down the road when more funds open up.

Am I on the right track here or am I overlooking something?

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    That makes sense to me, since it sounds like the underquilt is the one piece of gear you don't have in any form yet. After that, it's just a matter of upgrading for fun, but you're totally in business. Any reason you want to move away from the singlenest? I think that's a swell hammock, especially if you've swapped out the slap straps and OEM biners. Not that I would mind a Traveler either...
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    I also would go with the UQ. I have both the WBBB and both eno single & doublenests. Like the option of using the eno when a bug net is not needed or desired (indoors or cold weather). The UQ makes a major difference in sleeping comfort in any hammock you use.

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I was considering moving away from the ENO for a the double layering option for use with a pad. However, Harpo brings up yet another good point, I don't have a hammock with or a stand-alone bug net yet either.

Well, I just deposited the money into my account on the way into work this morning and I should be ready to order the UQ today.

Thanks for the input.

If it were me, I would spend the money on a hammock/tarp that works for you since they are the most unique and critical of the equipment in my opinion. If you need a bugnet, I would definitely be looking at the WBBB or the Traveler /w net and either OES, Backwoods Daydreamer, Warbonnet tarp.

To me insulation is easily done with a pad in a double layered hammock. I have used closed cell foam pads into the teens without any issue. I have underquilts, but to be honest I feel that the pad is as comfortable to use in a dbl layer hammock. I also like the versatility of going to the ground with a pad versus just the underquilt. I am not trying to steer you away from a Te-wa quilt, they look great.

Just my thoughts

DG

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Winter is a time to simplify and be serious about gear.... Full length UQ are hassle free and allow plenty of movement as well as full range of body positioning with no worry about supplemental pad positioning...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    how wide is your pad?
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Having to balance yourself in a hammock over a 20" - 26" pad in the winter time would keep me awake all night in anticipation of that cold shock to the shoulders and back when you finally fell off the pad. I'd go with a UQ whether full length or something less. Or at the very least get a Speer SPE and use that to help widen the pad under the critical parts of the body.

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    how wide is your pad?
    It measures between Just-Makes-It and Too-Small. My shoulders go past the edges if I lay on my back and we won't discuss how my rear measures up to it. It's also a fairly stiff rectangle and doesn't conform to the shape of the hammock like the thinner blue pads you see at Wally World. The UQ looks more comfortable and manageable.

I've decided to go with the UQ and have ordered it. About an hour following the purchase, the Hammock Gods bestowed a gift to me in the form of a coworker asking to buy my dead laptop. If all goes well today, I should have the money for the tarp.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    The hammock gods are indeed benevolent. Have fun!
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast