Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images

5 oz Climashield UQ/TQ

How low do you think it will go for an average sleeper? I'm thinking 40(?).

Started the shell last night. Insulation should arrive tomorrow.

Gonna make this one for 2.5 season use until Apex is available and trail tested a little.

Jbo

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    5oz is very very little insulation. Are you making it out of cuben or something?

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    I think jbo means 5oz/sq. yard. That's the weight of Climashield I have in my underquilt. With a pad and layered clothing I went to zero this weekend without trouble. With the quilt alone in my skivvies, maybe 25 degrees. YMMV. If you plan to use it more for winter use and don't think condensation from overheating will be a problem, you could make the liner out of sil for extra warmth.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    5oz is very very little insulation. Are you making it out of cuben or something?
    He's talking about the weight of the Climashield per yard...

5 oz/sq yd. loft=1.2 " nominal. clo=.82/oz. Total CLO : 5.0 oz * 0.82 clo/oz = 4.1
    60 inch roll width.
    Yellow Jacket

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    Yes, 5oz/yd.

Really? 25? I would be happy if it got to 25 with layered clothing. Don't want to wrestle a pad though.

I was using the KAQ as a reference with 6oz and rated to 30.

I'm making a top quilt at the same time and will use them as a matched pair.

Jbo

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Here's a thread where a bunch of us started talking about this; the individual results with 5.0 are all over the map. Only one way for you to tell for sure how low it gets you!

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=13466
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    Tinker T-7 / ENO DN / WBBB
    Tarp
    Winters Dream v2
    Insulation
    JRB HR / Jarbidge
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings

5 oz climashield UQ

This past weekend I used my DIY 44 x 60 UQ made from 5 oz climashield WITH my DIY 36 x 60 UQ also made from 5 oz climashield and was very comfy at 11 degrees. I got the idea from JerryW, he had some leftover material and climashield and made a smaller version of his original as a supplement in colder temps. I also had some leftover material and did the same and wow did it really help. My original 44 x 60 I have had down to 35 and was very comfy, adding the supplement got me to 11 with no problems. Just for the record I was wearing poly pro long undies and heavy fleece pants and jacket, light fleece gloves, med fleece balaclava, 2 pairs wool blend socks and down booties.
    Last edited by firecaptain53; 02-02-2010 at 21:42.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Zparks Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    marlin/whoopie
    My wife made me a UQ from 5 osy Climashield XP and I've used it very comfortably into the mid to high 30s. I tried it at 20 and it wasn't enough. I don't think I'd take it below freezing without adding something else.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    firecaptn, how do you use the two UQs together without compressing the loft of the innermost one? I've noticed that CS does a fair job insulating when it's compressed, but like any other insulation is at its best when lofted. It's an interesting idea, and I'm curious to try it.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    firecaptn, how do you use the two UQs together without compressing the loft of the innermost one? I've noticed that CS does a fair job insulating when it's compressed, but like any other insulation is at its best when lofted. It's an interesting idea, and I'm curious to try it.
    He and I have talked about this offline. What I do is, I have a full length underquilt made with one layer of 5oz/yd Climashield, then I made a supplementary underquilt that is about 2/3rds length and narrower. The main quilt hangs as normal, but when it's cold enough I slip the 2/3 quilt in between the hammock and the full-length. The 2/3 doesn't even have any suspension. Just slide it in and line it up with your torso.

What I've found is that the Climashield has enough structure that it doesn't compress very much when used this way. If you have trouble with it compressing, just hang the main quilt a little looser, but I haven't had the need to.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast