WBBB double 1.1
    Tarp
    speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    3 season yeti
    Suspension
    webbing

AT section hike in NC

hello. i posted this question on whiteblaze, but haven't gotten any responses, so perhaps it's better asked here...my next AT section hike will be from deep gap to fontana dam at the end of april/beginning of may. this will be my first trip with my new WBBB, and i can hardly wait. does anyone have any recommendations for cool places to hang on that section of trail, preferably away from shelters?

also, i'm really looking forward to seeing the balds that we will cross on this trip. how far from the top of the balds (in general) will we need to hike before we can find trees suitable for hanging if we chose to camp on one of them? thanks.
    -tagg

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    There is not much in the way of true balds in that stretch. I assume you mean Deep Gap just south of Standing Indian. You won't have to hike far (maybe half a mile at most) from any "bald" to find good trees to hammock hang. Though, you may not be near water.

Rain Man

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I've only gone as far as Wayah Bald, so maybe I'll try to get out there about the same time for that leg of the journey? I'll follow-up, but to the point, there are plenty of places along the trail, but a couple that are just off trail are...

Standing Indian Mt - right around the trail that goes from the AT to the top clearing are some good spots.

Rock Gap - at parking area, blue blaze to Wasilik Poplar has some good areas on it after about 0.4m. Its 0.7m to the tree which was somewhat underwhelming, but I enjoyed to trail all the same.

Siler Bald - maybe some more folks can chime in on this one for a spot that might be closer to the top, but what I found was a site in the woods opposite where you go up to the bald; where AT nobo crosses a saddle-like clearing, AT goes straight across and trail to top of Siler goes left... to the right you can see a trail going up into the woods which actually leads to another clearing, but before the clearing is a nice little campsite on the right with fire ring, and trees of course.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Images
    We did that section this past fall. From Franklin to Clingman's Dome.
    I couldnt tell you anything about what was there other than the trail itself. It rained 7.5 of the 9 days. The most I could see was about 40 ft ahead of me. We had 3 nice views. The first day at a tower can't rember the name. The first day in the Smokies and the last day at Clingman's Dome. That was it.
    I hung at the shelters but there are numerous great places to hang all along there.
    I would like to redo that one section some time just to see what I missed.

BEAS
    BEAS
    From the Great Southern state of
    TENNESSEE
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. General Robert E. Lee

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Big Mamba
    Insulation
    StormCrow UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I hiked from Clingmans Dome to Cades Cove in November. Even at Rocky Top and Thunderhead you were not too far from trees. I would recommend staying near a shelter or campsite for water and also to use the bear cables.
    I would hang just out of snoring range of the shelter, like one guy said, if there are 12 people in the shelter, 9 of them will be snoring.
    I will be there about the second weekend of May. Camp site 13 (Gregorys Bald) & 93 (near 20mile cascade), 3 days, 2 nights.

• + New Posts