Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory Hess View Post

Is there some benefit to rolling the tarp before starting with the snakeskins? I haven't timed myself, but I'd bet that I can get my tarp into the skins in under 20 seconds. I have the two piece skins from SLD if that matters at all. The most time consuming part of set up and take down is rolling the CRL up and putting it into the pockets at the end of the skins. That takes maybe 45 seconds or so to do both sides. I'd say going from fully deployed to in my backpack takes two minutes or so, most of which is spent managing the guylines and CRL.
    For me, rolling the tarp takes care of my guylines. They don’t tangle when I do it this way. Not saying it has to be done this way, it’s just how I do it.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    ...I agree mesh is where to go with snake skins. This allows your tarp to dry out and not trap moisture on the inside. I put my tarp with mesh snake skins in a mesh bag and put it in my mesh pocket on my back pack and it dries while I walk.
    How does the middle of the stuffed tarp dry in your mesh bag scenario? Maybe it’s just too humid where I live. I’ve never had a tarp dry out while I’m walking.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennington.Camper View Post
    I bought the tarp and skins from Warbonnet at the same time, so if it is the wrong size it is on them.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    If you really don’t like them, email Warbonnet. I’m sure they can work with you.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    I agree mesh is where to go with snake skins. This allows your tarp to dry out and not trap moisture on the inside.
    I don't think mesh allows the tarp to dry out - maybe the five or six inches that are exposed, but that's about it.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Hybrid UHMWPE/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    For me, rolling the tarp takes care of my guylines. They don’t tangle when I do it this way. Not saying it has to be done this way, it’s just how I do it.
    That makes sense. My guylines are all attached to the stakes. I can see rolling the tarp in order to avoid that hassle. I started attaching them to the stakes because of how much of a pain it was to deal with them when putting up my tarp.

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I don't think mesh allows the tarp to dry out - maybe the five or six inches that are exposed, but that's about it.
    Well I put it in the mesh part of my back pack so it allows mine to dry out better than storing it inside a silnylon or CF snake skin. I know the CF sleeve I had definitely held moisture in. Not sure about other materials. As to it getting 100% dry who knows. Most of my recent miles of hiking were in the green tunnel so I didn't get a lot of direct sunlight.

Hammock
    HH Expl UL, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Beetles n straps
    I have the HH version and hex tarp. I just let both sides hang together then kind of throw it over itsself almost like a large roll, maybe a couple of times then running the one hand in front(more like grabbing to compress and moving) i pull them right on. Never really had a problem. I think some pull on the tarp which will move to much material towards the center and then you have the bulge. Also I can see where rolling could trap air and create problems

Hammock
    diy gath'd end w/ KM, diy PH whip't
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    I also have the HH Hex. I know the OP is talking about snakeskins but I use elastic hair ties, about 7... Easy to use. As far as the middle bulge... the way I do mine is grab corners of one side and bring it up and towards the middle. Do a quick roll which ends up past mid-point...grab the hair ties on that end, sliding one towards center and the others spaced towards the end you started from...don't worry about the very ends...then do the same on the other end. Where the bulge is, just take your hands and compress it down. Slide the remaining hair tie down. Then I double it over an stuff in my tarp stuff sack leaving the ends at the top of the sack. Make up the ridge line and it goes in along with my stakes which are in a organizer I made from a p.o. tyvek mailer. The stuff sack loaded is about the size of a football. Good luck with whatever method you use.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk
    Sailing, ham radio (qrp), linux, diy hammock stuff...
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/godspeed.html
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/radio.html

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123