Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bottom entry

Images
    After I got used to it, I never had any problems from it and maybe even some advantages. I could be in and out of that thing in a NY minute, even with the HHSS UC and pad in place! Definitely easier to avoid a wet tarp. The only problem for me was not being able to reach out and adjust UQs, or feel of them to check adjustment. But since I mostly used the HHSS for which there is very little to adjust, I really didn't have much need to adjust UQs. Or reach out to get something out of pack and having to keep more in the hammock. So I would at least prefer to have enough zipper where I could reach out. But, I have not used the bottom entry in quite a few years, just because I only have one of the many hammocks I have had, and even that one I stupidly removed the net years ago, so no need to use the bottom entry.

Also, I'm thinking I had fewer incidences of my pillow, extra leg pad or TQ falling out of the hammock if I got in and out middle of the night.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I have one of each, both use a Hennessy pad (SS or Double Bubble), so I haven't had the quilt adjustment challenge. It's a tradeoff. The zipper does make it easier to get in/out, but I've had mine jam on me several times. I was able to field repair it, but my experience emphasizes what other's have said about the simplicity of the bottom entry. My HH Explorer UL asym still works perfectly after a decade.

If I was doing a thru-hike, were I needed the thing to last for 6 months I'd go bottom-entry. If I was going out for a weekend I'd take the zipper.

--Kurt
    My hiking/backpacking Youtube channel: Youtube

My BackpackGearTest reviews: Reviews

If you have an HH, then you should read my SuperShelter review: HH Super Shelter

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    First hammock. Got used to the birth canal. Loved it when it was a lot of skeeters around. Have the EXP deluxe. Moved on to a bridge. Need to break it out and have a nostalgia moment. Always slept good in it. Always liked the feel of the taffeta its made from.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    JRB makes underquilts specifically for bottom entry Hennesseys.The advantage to bottom entry is that you would have to be very
    creative to fall out of one while getting in.Not that difficult to part the velcro with your foot and get out but you want a top quilt,that
    much I know.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    JRB makes underquilts specifically for bottom entry Hennesseys.The advantage to bottom entry is that you would have to be very
    creative to fall out of one while getting in.Not that difficult to part the velcro with your foot and get out but you want a top quilt,that
    much I know.
    Hey, thanks Five Tango, I had forgotten about that safety advantage! I used the BE HH for most of my first year or two of hammock life, but after I started accumulating various side entry models( 1st Speer, then Claytor, etc) I soon found myself rarely using the BE-HH. The #1 reason for that is because for quite a while the combo of the Claytor No Net completely surround by a Speer Pea Pod became my go to for cold or even just cool weather back packing trips. And if I was not making that choice, then t was my JRB bridge/MWUQ combo. As much as I was convinced that the HH surrounded by an HHSS was a viable competitor for cool/cold weather, I just sort of forgot about it while concentrating on my new toys.

But now I am going to make a confession. It is embarrassing, but I also know that some other folks here have done the exact same thing. Twice since Sept 06(my entry into the hammock world which was accomplished with HHSS), I have gone to sit down into my Claytor hammock, after I got up in the middle of the night, trying not to wake up fully, and flipped over the edge of my side entry hammock. I mistook the edge of my pod or UQ that was towards my back as I sat down, for the edge of my hammock, grabbing the UQ rather than the hammock edge. And I flipped right over landing on my back. First time was in my backyard, landed hard on the grass, leaving a sore spot for a while. Second time was some years later in the Sawtooth Mountains of ID, landing just a few inches from a rock that could have really hurt me. I think that was 2010 and I have not done this since. But I have almost done it a few times over the years. At midnight, half asleep, it can be easy to confuse the quilt fabric for the hammock fabric.

Not only did I never come close to doing such a stupid thing with my bottom entry, I'm not sure it is even possible. Since you dip under the hammock, stand up through the bottom entry and sit down, if you somehow missed the hammock fabric- which would be very hard to do as it can not be a narrow edge running left right- you would simply start sittin down towards the ground. You would either catch yourself and stand back up, or you would slowly sink to the ground. If you don't miss the entry seat, then there is no other way you can go except back into the hammock which is stretched out length wise behind you to catch you. (hard to put into words). No wonder I never even had an almost close call! And no wonder a few disabled folks have stated a preference for the bottom entry.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by richtorfla View Post
    Got used to the birth canal.
    LOL! I've heard of "Birthing" from those; when someone falls through the hole in the middle of the night. That must be a humorous and confused look.
    I'd imagine that those could be a bit of a pain with an UQ or pad.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I will be using a netless Dutch 10 footer tomorrow night.I put a piece of reflective tape center of the hammock where I make
    gluteous contact so that I am certain of what I am doing in the night time.I almost fell out of my 11 foot argon when I sat on it one morning after removing the under quilt because I forgot to spread it wide and it had "bunched up" and almost dumped me.As comfortable as hammocks are they do require a modest amount of concentration on entry.That's my take on them.

Hammock
    DIY 12ft Hyper D 1.6
    Tarp
    HG The Quest
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit and Zep
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Images
    I just sold my bottom entry because I also need to use a cpap machine (actually Bipap). At this point I can’t sleep, even take a nap, without it, so I couldn’t use the bottom entry because getting access to hoses and cords through all that Velcro was just not working. But it was the easiest hammock to get in and out of foe mobility reasons. I thought about trying to modify so there where permanent holes for hoses but that seemed like it would mess with the structural integrity of the hammock itself. I’m glad the chameleon works so well for me or I would be really sad to not be able to use my BE HH.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12