Sleeping pad question

I've just ordered a HH, and am excited about trying it out. I've done a search through past posts, but have not found a mention of someone putting their sleeping pad inside their sleeping bag. I have a Thermarest trail and am wondering about trying this to reduce the slippage factor. I think I may sew up an old sheet to make a sleeve for the TR, as I don't think lying on top of it directly will be that comfy. I don't want to sew the sleeve directly on my sleeping bag (I have limited sewing skills). I do most of my camping from May to September so really cold temps are not a factor, (I understand that my shoulders and/or knees may get cold if off the pad). Is it worth a shot?

Has anybody tried attaching velcro to their hammock, and then gluing the other half on to their pad to reduce the slip n' slide? What do you think the pros and cons are?

I understand that there are other systems for insulation, but I want to work with what I have because I will still probably do some tenting.

Thanks in advance! I can't wait to try out the HH!

Hammock
    ENO Double & HH Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paddleguy View Post
    I've just ordered a HH, and am excited about trying it out. I've done a search through past posts, but have not found a mention of someone putting their sleeping pad inside their sleeping bag. I have a Thermarest trail and am wondering about trying this to reduce the slippage factor. I think I may sew up an old sheet to make a sleeve for the TR, as I don't think lying on top of it directly will be that comfy. I don't want to sew the sleeve directly on my sleeping bag (I have limited sewing skills). I do most of my camping from May to September so really cold temps are not a factor, (I understand that my shoulders and/or knees may get cold if off the pad). Is it worth a shot?
    First, welcome to the hanging crowd. You're going through what every one of us went through when we first made the switch. I tried an inflatable Slumberjack in my HH when I first started and it's impossible to stay on top of them because they will move and slide around. Then I tried the car windshield reflector. Similar problems and a wet spot in the middle of my back from condensation.

If you really want to stay with a pad (condensation, yuck), get a cheap CCF pad and trim the corners as recommended in several threads.

Has anybody tried attaching velcro to their hammock, and then gluing the other half on to their pad to reduce the slip n' slide? What do you think the pros and cons are?
    You might try some of the sticky shelf liner stuff on the bottom of a CCF pad. I wouldn't recommend sewing on the HH body. You might weaken it and cause a failure that you don't really want to happen. Hold on a sec, they're playin SRV on the radio......Ok, back. I've heard people have had success with the trimmed pad. You might not even have to do any fancy sewing.

I understand that there are other systems for insulation, but I want to work with what I have because I will still probably do some tenting.

I went through all the things you're thinking and eventually worked my way to underquilts. Truely the most comfortable, and for me, only way to go. Having expressed my opinions, keep experimenting and find the things that work for you. It's your setup and whatever works for you to get the best nights sleep is the right way to go.
    Peace,
    Joe

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    you may want to just try the pad as is first & see how it works as is.
    or maybe add dots or stripes of seam sealer to the bottom of the pad & let it cure. that will give it a more grippy surface. some people do that to pads they are using on tent floors or a ground cloth when tarp camping to reduce slipping as well.
    you probably won't be happy for long w/ a sleeve made of a cotton sheet. i'm sure you know how cotton absorbs & holds water.
    but speer hammocks has a sleeve called a segmented pad extender (SPE) that reduces slipping because of the stretchy material on the bottom.
    it also allows you to add insulation on the sides too.
    look on the home page here & you'll see a place to click & see a list of hammock manufacturers. speer hammock is listed there.
    and welcome to hammock forums. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

Wanna bet? I was a dedicated ground sleeper before I discovered hanging and I didn't even mind ground sleeping!

If you want to use a pad go to Walmart and buy the "blue pad" everybody is talking about, it will cost you about $6. When I first started playing with the pad in my HH I did what slowhike suggested, sort of. I didn't have any seam sealer, but I had a tube of straight silicone sealer. I put a drop about every 10" and it worked fine.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for your replies... I'll trust your experience and will try what you guys are suggesting. I'll also keep tinkering a little bit, that's part of the fun.

At about what temperature would you suggest a pad (a ballpark, I realize there are variables involved)? I have a 0 C barrel bag and a -7 C mummy bag (both synthetic). In other words, does it have to be really warm to sleep sans under insulation? And does condensation occur at all temps or only when colder?

The HH arrives sometime this week, I'll report my experiences...

Cheers
    Last edited by paddleguy; 07-02-2007 at 19:09.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Thanks for your replies... I'll trust your experience and will try what you guys are suggesting. I'll also keep tinkering a little bit, that's part of the fun.

At about what temperature would you suggest a pad (a ballpark, I realize there are variables involved)? I have a 0 C barrel bag and a -7 C mummy bag (both synthetic). In other words, does it have to be really warm to sleep sans under insulation? And does condensation occur at all temps or only when colder?

The HH arrives sometime this week, I'll report my experiences...

Cheers
    It has been said that most people need some kind of bottom insulation when temps dip below 70 F or so. Some can go much lower than that.
    Condensation can occur at any temp level. I have never had any condensation issues with pads.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

I just found this: http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsle...06/Jan2006.htm. Good reading...

70 F, huh? Sounds like I should bring a pad all the time. Especially if I have to go to ground for whatever reason.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I just found this: http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsle...06/Jan2006.htm. Good reading...

70 F, huh? Sounds like I should bring a pad all the time. Especially if I have to go to ground for whatever reason.
    That would be a great idea. You could get by with a 3/4 length pad in warmer weather. Some use an even shorter pad.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 07-02-2007 at 22:01.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

• + New Posts