WB's BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Our first Algonquin Paddle n Hang

There’s little in comparison to a long hot shower in the comfort of your own home after a few days in the wilderness. It’s downright luxurious feeling in fact. About the only downside, if there even is one, is that I’ve washed all the crap off my legs and they now look like they’re victim of some sadistic experiment gone horribly bad. I did not know one could get that many bits and bites on their legs. I know what you’re thinking. Tell me more about the carnage Mark. Ok fine. Let’s start at the start.

“Maybe you should bring a pair of pants,” Lori’s words echoed in my head as I stood there filling up the car at our local Pioneer. It was 7:30 on Sat morning, we had overslept by a couple of hours after inadvertently setting the wake up time on our alarms but forgetting to change the fact they only go off on weekdays. Who wants to wake up to an alarm on the weekend anyway? Apparently we did today.

We had checked the weather for the next several days and it was supposed to remain hot. As in high twenties - feels like 30’s hot. Yes this is mid-September! I decided to heed Lori's warning and doubled back home for a pair of pants, just in case. By the time I reached my dresser I had changed my mind again and pulled out my long johns instead of my pants. I can always wear them under my shorts and really the only time I envision being chilly is at night. Long johns it is!

The drive up was about as pleasant as the 401 and the 400 can possibly be. Only after breaking free of Orillia on highway 11 did the scenery really start to change. A stop in Huntsville Timmies for a quick bite and bathroom break and by the time we reached Algonquin it was difficult to keep our eyes on the road. Screaming reds, brilliant yellows mixed in with a dozen shades of green welcomed us to Algonquin Park. Throw in a lake vista here and there, we couldn’t stop saying WOW. Good thing Canoe lake isn’t too far along highway 60. Autumn really is the prettiest season to be outside in Ontario I think. Natures very own symphony of colours.

Reservations were made however we still had to go pick up our park passes at the access point office then head back to the the Portage Store (a whopping 100 yards away) to sort our canoe rental. By 12:30 we were finally on the water and paddling north on Canoe Lake. Woohoo! Our itinerary showed Burnt Island as our destination for today. I had a difficult time planning this trip not knowing how far we would get each day. Could we keep up to the times listed on Jeff’s maps? Initially Lori wasn’t sure if she was going to come before saying yes at the last moment. Do I plan longer days if I’m going solo or the same for the two of us? Which route do I plan for solo, what about if Lori comes? I checked in with our HF resident canoe/Algonquin expert Chard to get some ideas. I’m very glad Lori decided to come for many reasons. Had she decided to stay home, I fear I may have planned a much more ambitious trip distance wise. Instead, Burnt Island Lake was just over 3 hrs away, a fairly easy start to our first ever Algonquin canoe experience.

The scenery on Canoe Lake picked up right where the road left off. We took our time as we tried to get the hang of paddling (2 up?) in a canoe vs the solo kayaking we had done to date. Our vehicle of choice was the lightest we could rent. At 33 LBS the 16’ H2O Heritage Series Prospector really was quite light in comparison to the 50-75 lbs beasts they had on offer. The price difference between these canoes was negligible and in my opinion totally worth the extra $5-$10 in rental cost if you’re planning on doing any sort of portaging. Or maybe they actually pay YOU $45 take the 75lbs version?

Even before we arrived at our first portage Lori was super glad she came along. She very much loves being on the water and we were in Algonquin during her most favourite time of the year.

A loon let us come to within a few feet as if to welcome us to the park. I wondered if maybe he was on the provincial payroll.

Joe Lake seemed a bit quieter as we left all the day trippers and power boats behind. Lori and I started getting into a nice grove working together as we quickly realized that we didn’t have to exert so much energy in keeping the boat moving forward. We even passed a campsite proudly displaying a full size cooler hanging from a tree right by the water. I guess if you only have a 260m portage, you can bring all the gear and food that you want. Did I mention there was a warning at the access point office about a nuisance bear on Joe Lake?

From Joe Lake we paddled into Little Joe passing Arowhon Pines Lodge on our right before hitting a couple more portages; a 120m and a 435m. As we approached the first one we met up with a few people paddling past the portage from the opposite direction letting us know that we could paddle up the creek without getting out as long as we were ok with a small beaver dam. Chia!

We stopped for a short break to rest and munch on some snacks as we got out for the 435m portage - no paddling around this one. Being Noobs we decided it would be better for both of us to carry the canoe for some reason, Lori at the front and me at the back with our backpacks on our backs. This didn’t seem like a terrible idea at first and for the really short portages it was pretty doable. We couldn’t get through the entire 435m however and had a take several short breaks and switch hands. We carried the canoe past Lost Joe Lake and got back into the water at Baby Joe. This Joe fella sure is popular around these parts here. Another relatively easy 200m and BOOM! We were into Burnt Island Lake. We had plenty of daylight left and could now take our time looking for a site. There was really very little wind to speak of, if anything it was with us all day making paddling a breeze . We had paddled past 6 sites - every single one occupied. Hope this isn’t a sign of things to come.

Finally #7. Lucky #7 was ours for the taking. But does is have a spot for a tent and a hammock?

Sure does!

We both set up, Lori her REI Half Dome 2 tent and me the Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 single with whoopies. Since we were both hungry I was about to get busy with getting a fire going for dinner, only there was something wrong. Something very wrong!

It was the Sawyer water filter. It was leaking all over the place from the threads to the squeeze bag. Seems the little gasket that sits in the bottom of the filter was nowhere to be found. “You have got to be kidding me,” I thought. Did it fall out? I walked all around the site, twice, just to make sure it hadn’t fallen out while I was pulling out the gear. Nope! I was seriously angry with myself because I had the conscious thought to run some water through the filter a few nights ago when I started pulling out gear to pack. Apparently I never did the water test. How could I possibly forget something to vital? Good thing Lori insisted on us bringing water purification tablets. We filled our Nalgene’s with lake water and set them aside to let the tablets do their thing while we put on some more unfiltered water to boil in the pot. I got back to work getting the fire going. After all we had steak to cook up. Good thing there was plenty of wood laying around courtesy of the previous guest - thank you! By the time the steaks were done, so were we. It was well after dark, I was still steaming about the filter and Lori wasn’t all that hungry anymore. Glad we didn’t cook a side. In fact we barely finished one of the steaks between the two of us. Day one in the books, we both went to sleep.
    Last edited by L84toff; 10-08-2017 at 13:17.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Don't feel too bad about the filter- I do worse stuff than that all the time lol. Luckily you had a backup plan, that's what being prepared and having redundancy is all about!

Sounds like a great trip so far for you and your wife. looking forward to the rest!

Hammock
    Dutch and Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG WP 12ft / UGQ W
    Insulation
    HG, UGQ and WB
    Suspension
    Dutch Stuff
    Thanks for sharing-- Algonquin is a must visit for me next year. Good to hear that you have some lightweight canoe options to rent as well. Really would love to purchase a swift pack boat, but no one sells them down by me.. seems for portaging, they are the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Blackbird (Single layer)
    Tarp
    Z-Packs CF w/ door
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie / Cinch
    Thank you, I enjoyed the write up and hearing of your adventure over water like Huck Finn.

Hammock
    WB's BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    Don't feel too bad about the filter- I do worse stuff than that all the time lol. Luckily you had a backup plan, that's what being prepared and having redundancy is all about!

Sounds like a great trip so far for you and your wife. looking forward to the rest!
    Thanks it really was a fantastic trip. I was just upset with myself because I really know better and should have checked it before venturing out. I had 2 other filters sitting at home that I could have brought not to mention a spare gasket for this one. Been doing a lot of moto-camping last 2 years so I haven't had a need for a water filter as much. I got over it by morning - hard to be angry waking up in Algonquin.

Quote Originally Posted by stowe18 View Post
    Thanks for sharing-- Algonquin is a must visit for me next year. Good to hear that you have some lightweight canoe options to rent as well. Really would love to purchase a swift pack boat, but no one sells them down by me.. seems for portaging, they are the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Swift does make some really light boats - the smaller packboats are super for single-carry portages. Have been reading nothing but good things about them, even tried one out on my solo trip a couple of weeks after this one. Trip report to follow for that .

Quote Originally Posted by alt.thomas View Post
    Thank you, I enjoyed the write up and hearing of your adventure over water like Huck Finn.
    Thank you

Hammock
    WB's BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I usually don’t sleep well the first night out in the bush but man that was one of the best sleeps I’ve ever had outside. I don’t even remember moving through the night, only waking up before 6 as the sky was beginning to lighten up. It was a relatively warm night and my 40 degree Burrow TQ & Phoenix UQ were up to the task. I lazed around the hammock for bit until I heard Lori shuffling in her tent. Apparently she too was awake early and waiting to hear me moving around before getting out of her sleeping bag cocoon. Lori was more than toasty in her 20 degree First Ascent sleeping bag and down filled Exped. She prefers the tossing and turning ability of ground dwelling and also being able to sleep on her side more comfortably.

#1 priority after accommodating my bladder's screaming demands was to pull the bear bag down and get the water on for a morning beverage. Tea for me and Lori decided to skip the coffee and went straight for some delicious hot chocolate.

The sun peaked out over the tree lined horizon and we sat down to enjoy the view as a gentle breeze played with the mist around the little island directly across from our site. Lori asked me if I heard the beaver last night, which I did. I could hear it busy at work in the shallow cove beside our campsite just as I was falling asleep. Apparently he was on the night shift.

There no hurrying this morning, in fact we would be in no hurry for the rest of the trip as the distances I planned consisted of about two hours of paddling/portaging each day. A nice starter pace.

We put some more water on for our Mountain House breakfast skillet. Lori decided last night that she didn’t like the slight chemical taste the waster purification tablets left in the water and decided to just boil some more water and let it cool off before filling her Nalgene up. While I did notice a slight taste it wasn’t something that bothered me. Maybe it’s because I’ve had worse on the Bruce Trail. We had come prepared for just such a possibility and brought various flavours of Emergen-C packets to mix into our water. Besides solving any taste issues it has the added benefit of vitamin C, B12, Magnesium and a whole bunch of other essential vitamins and minerals.

Just couldn’t stop starring at that view. Wish we had brought the good camera. These pics are all courtesy of the iPhone. We eventually got our butts into gear, cleaned up our breakfast dishes and packed up.

With four portages totalling 1570m, today would be our longest canoe lugging day. There was very little wind to speak of as we departed this morning. If anything it was to our backs allowing us to have a nice relaxed paddle northbound towards Jay Lake. The portages came quickly and went slowly. We were still single carrying each one with both of us carrying the canoe front and rear which makes tight spots a little bit more challenging. Even before we reached Sunbeam - our destination lake for the night, our arms were ready to fall off from carrying the canoe. Just like yesterday today was another hot one and we had to stop frequently during each portage to rest and hydrate. Only problem with stopping in the forest for any length of time is that bib wearing mosquitoes come out sharpening their forks and knives. And we were the lunch! Seriously I did not expect that many of the little buggers at this time of the year. Motivation to switch arms and keep moving.

As we set course for an island on Sunbeam Lake we noticed a three person canoe coming in from the right. With three paddles in the water they picked up the pace. Apparently they were heading for the same island and noticed us. The race was on! Ok not really. Lori noticed a campsite sign off to our right and we redirected. Getting out to look around, it had a nice fire pit with plenty of wood laying around (thank you again to whoever was there before us), a great spot for a hammock & tent and even a clean privy. It was also a little elevated and had a fantastic view. Check, check, check and check!

It was a beautiful afternoon and after setting up camp we decided to jump in the lake for a much needed rinse. It was refreshing to say the least. I felt renewed and reenergized. Amazing how something as simple as a dip in the lake on a hot and sweaty day can make you feel so good.

Between boiling water and the water purification tablets we had both our hydration needs covered for the night. Dinner was a a first for me Backpacker Pantry Pad Thai that we split. Definitely one of my more favourite dehydrated meals.

After cutting some of the wood left behind we got a fire going and enjoyed the view.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Sounds like a great day, especially since you were able to put the filter snafu behind you!

Has your wife ever tried a bridge hammock? I hear they are great for side sleepers.

I just feel really sorry for her laying on the ground all night like that!

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    very beautiful area, thanks for these... would love to occupy the tiny island

Hammock
    WB's BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    Sounds like a great day, especially since you were able to put the filter snafu behind you!

Has your wife ever tried a bridge hammock? I hear they are great for side sleepers.

I just feel really sorry for her laying on the ground all night like that!
    I passed on your sympathies . We've talked about having her try a bridge since her WBBB has just been collecting dust (well not really since it's safely packed away). Right now she is truly enjoying herself in the tent. I don't mind the tent either to be honest but definitely find the hammock more comfy. Besides I just love hanging out in my hammock in the morning sipping on a hot beverage, taking in the view, or taking a nap in the afternoon or just contemplating life - all things done better in a hammock imho.

Quote Originally Posted by kardinal_emilus View Post
    very beautiful area, thanks for these... would love to occupy the tiny island
    It is indeed a spectacular part of Ontario. As it turned out, the campsite we were on this night was on an island. Something I discovered only after we set everything up and I went for a walk to see what was around us. Lori was very excited as she really wanted to camp on an island at some point on this trip.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    That's a nice boat. On our trip this summer, the people that rented them were raving about how light they were. Nice trip report.
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast