Hammock
    WB, BB
    Insulation
    HG, UQ

Gathering phase for PCT 18. Bouncing ideas from the hammock brain.

Buying new gear for my PCT hike this spring to go as light as possible. Question mainly is for hammock body then wanted to bounce my ideas for the rest of the system. Deciding between the Chameleon( currently out of stock) or one of Dream Hammocks. Looking to get the lightest set up for a 11ft with removable bugnet, with suspension ideas for weight savings.
    Tarp idea is HG CF with doors or possibly not, most people on trail talk about a handful of rain days, my thought was for 2 more oz for wind protection. I did do the Colorado trail with with a MacCat and it was plenty. So i could save 2oz and some bulk with a Cuben Hex.
    Insulation I was thinking Operator Series Habanero Underquilt 50 coupled with ccf pads in case I have to go to the ground and to get to 20ish temp capabilities.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Sounds like you have it nailed and know what you want. I personally would go for the 2oz and get doors. I'd also go for a warmer quilt as most 50 degree quilts are sewn through and I know I couldn't make a 50 degree quilt and and pads get me into the 20's with out freezing.

Hammock
    10' DH Sparrow, Net+OC
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20- 40°TQ
    Suspension
    SpWeb2.0+whoopies
    I've no personal experience with the PCT, but from what I've seen, it looks like you'd have to go to ground semi often based on how arid sections of it are, especially the southern parts (anybody know better please correct).

With that in mind, along with your intention to use a pad some of the time for insulation, I'd say consider a double layer hammock. For durability, maybe a body made of the higher denier fabric- or bring along a large sheet of tyvek to serve as a ground tarp.

With a mind to cut weight, and considering the wide variance of temps & conditions in that part of the world, maybe do this: double layer hammock + only a pad (you could try a DIY job or something shaped for a hammock) for insulation in the warm & temperate regions, and ship an UQ to a town you'll pass through before heading to the colder areas or when you're more certain of ample tree selection.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I used the HG CF w/ doors for the entire AT. The first time it rains and it starts blowing in the end and soaking all your gear you will wish you carried those doors. As for the lightest 11' with a removable bugnet the Chameleon may not be the lightest. However, it is an very well constructed comfy hammock and I used it as well on the AT for hundreds of miles. The lightest suspension I have found is hummingbird tree strap combo(2.3oz) and you can use a dutch biner to connect to loop on hammock or you can swap the loops out for humming birds button link or similar and not have to carry the Biners.

My 1.6 chameleon(with ridgeline bottle holder and peak shelf inside double ended stuff sack plus suspension(with Biners) is about 1lb 9oz. With no suspension 1lb6oz. I briefly looked at dream website and they have a weight calculator so you can plug in what you want and get an idea as well.

As for the under quilt I hope someone else that has hiked the PCT can comment but I would expect temperatures under 20 for some parts and maybe opt for a lower temp rating under quilt.

If you dont exceed the weight you can possibly get the 1.0 fabric on the chameleon and save a little weight.

Good luck with the hike, I hope to make it out there one day.

• + New Posts