WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

Perimeter vs. end only shock/cinch cord suspension.

Have only used JRB uq with the end shock cord suspension system. With the differential cut MWUQ proper set up is simple. Just ordered an on sale WB Yeti. I think it has a perimeter shock corded suspension system. Noticed at Paul's Arrowhead Equipment that his synthetic quilts use both systems.

The one "negative" I have noticed my JRB uq on moderately cool nights (below 0*C) with gusty winds and no tarp deployed is sometimes the warm air momentarily leaking. With the MW4 probably a good thing. Too warm a uq for moderate cool nights. Only time I tend to sort of "wake" up during the nights is when I'm overheating, have pulled the top quilt off and then experience the chill down when I loose the bottom heat.

Interested in why the designers of these field proven products prefer one suspension design over the other?
    Noel V.

Keep in mind that the Yeti is not a full length UQ and the suspension system is uses allows you to move the quilt under you where you need it the most.

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    On the UQs I've made, I attach a cord lock on one corner and another cord lock on the opposing corner. Small-diameter shock cord runs the entire perimeter and a loop of the cord sticks through the cord lock on either corner. By pulling one end of the loop tighter or the other, I can tweak the "hugginess" of either the long edge or the ends.

What a bunch of gibberish I just wrote. If I were at home I'd take a photo.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Images
    i've always found certain quilt designs work best with certain suspensions, although i've never tried the peremiter/side cord on a rectangular uq, so it may be suited to both. the yeti specifically works alot better with the cord along the sides due to the shape of the quilt.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    JRB rectangular under quilts and the dual differentially designed body contouring radial baffled under quilts of JRB Mt Washington function extremely well with shock cord suspension to the corners and 3/16 in draw cords on the ends, with center pull as a third point of suspension on the foot end… Fixed length shock cord end suspension works for full size UQ because they are readily put in proper position and do not require sliding adjustment to tweak coverage… It is also a slightly lighter approach.

Use of the shock cord end suspension technique also provides for attachment of additional UQ in layers, if desired in winter, as JRB quilts are sized and tabbed to facilitate layering and or the attachment of Weather Shields all without increasing suspension parts or weight.

The JRB suspension set is also designed to function as a belt over No Snivellers, stealths, Rocky Mtn Snivellers when worn as serapes… They also function as dual use lashing straps for ultra light packs.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    ...the dual differentially designed body contouring radial baffled under quilts...
    Easy for you to say!

- MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    HH Camo Survivor & DIY GE
    Tarp
    Speer 8x10 sil
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    the dual differentially designed body contouring radial baffled under quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Easy for you to say!

LOL! ... and I thought it was just me when I had to re-read that three times.

• + New Posts