DIY
    Tarp
    GUIDE GEAR 12X12
    Insulation
    CCF PAD, DIY UQ
    Suspension
    RING BUCKLES

Pad, UQ with TQ, combo?

Hung two weekends ago and wasn't very comfortable. ( first winter hang attempt )

To start, I got the idea from Just Jeff's page to use zip ties for whipping and that worked well for the few times I've hung, however, this was the first all night attempt. The first side slipped through and I fell so I got up, rewhipped the way I had done originally ( which never failed ) and went in for round two. About 20 minutes later as I was adjusting my CCF pad, the other ends zip tie broke. ......could have been worse I suppose because the ground underneath was pretty soft. Again, I rewhip using the method that I will now stay with, and climbed back in.

As I said, I'm using CCF for insulation and because it was to be about 29-30 degress, I used a sleeping bag as an underquilt. I have used the pad several times before and didn't have any issues but this night it kept bunching and didn't seem to keep me as warm as other nights. Not sure exactly what time I went to sleep but was still adjusting at about 1am the went back into the house at about 5am and noticed the thermometer on the front porch said 28 degrees.

Maybe I'm too cold a sleeper for this winter stuff but man I do love being in the woods when it's snowing and would love to wake one morning after it snowed during the night.

My questions are these--

--Can someone or has someone used their CCF pad as a UQ, suspended under the hammock, not sleeping directily on top of it like normal? Would it serve any purpose like this?
    --For all you winter hangers, do most of you use UQ's (in conjuction with TQ's), pads or a combo of both?

I am quickly thinking about either attempting to make or buying a UQ and abandoning the whole pad thing.

Sincerely,
    winter-hanger-want-a-be

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Hello, Hammockveteran.

This is not peer-reviewed science, just my own observations...

The bunching with pads can be really annoying, to the point where it really messes up the entire lay of the hammock. In my experience, it tends to happen where your rear end forms an angle in your mostly horizontal position. One way I've overcome this is to take a pair of scissors and cut about 1/3 of the way in on either side about where my butt will rest. That allows the edges of the pad in that area to overlap and greatly reduces bunching.

If you're not sure you want to do that to a nice expensive pad, hit up cabinet stores. Factory-built cabinets usually come shipped in a thick minicell foam that is a great insulator. The stores just throw it out and it's basically free heat.
    Last edited by vitamaltz; 02-03-2010 at 21:58.

Hammock
    warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    sleeping bag, & TQ
    Suspension
    amsteel, treehuger
    Images
    HYOH, YMMV, etc and so on. No need to make be-all-end-all statements.

check this site out. it has foam pads cheap. i'd get the 3/8 or 1/2 inch for 25- 30 degrees. i have used a cheapy wally world ccf pad in those temps with you're same idea of using a sleeping bag in conjunction as an underpad. it worked but was too narrow and i had to basically sleep staying put and my elbows and triceps got cold from hanging off on the bare hammock material. i'm thinking of the 48" wide pad and trimming the pad to more of a mummy bag shape.

also you may be able to score some insultex from someone here fairly cheap to make an UQ. maybe enough to do at least a double layer of not even a triple layer. probably 6 yds. could do a triple layer (6ft long trifolded) and use a cheap ccf sit pad for your feet.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I've made at least a dozen hammocks using ziptie whippings, never had one fail. I'm really surprised one did and flat-out amazed that both went. Major bummer.

I do love my winter hanging. I use topquilts and underquilts. I generally carry some 1/8" GG ThinLite to act more as padding than insulation. I lay it on top of my pack, then lay my legs on top of that. But, that's only when using my Yetis and I need something additional below my lower legs and feet. I use WB Yeti, Speer SnugFit, and JRB Mt. Washington underquilts. Not all at once of course; they take turns.

Their common trait is some form of differential design. The result is a fantastic seal against the body. I credit their designs for me being able to go cold and stay comfortable. But here's the thing, winter hanging is as much about experimenting as anything else. I've been subzero more times than I have fingers and I'm still tweaking this and that on a regular basis. Don't give up on it, just keep tweaking. The rewards are grand.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    sleeping bag, & TQ
    Suspension
    amsteel, treehuger
    Images

Hammock
    GT UL and Home Made
    Tarp
    Home Made sil
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ Homemade
    Suspension
    Home Made Woopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ref103 View Post
    Ref the above Co.

Little heads up on their shipping! When you place your order (online)they don't let you know how much the shipping costs are. They fill your order weight it bill you ship it out with out the knowledge of what they charge you for shipping. They might as well charge me $30.00 for shipping, its allready a done deal at that point. Just rubs me the wrong way I guess.
    I purchased one yard of 1/8" and one yard of 1/4" has to be under 2 lbs. Cost of material $11.45, shipping $14.05 Ouch!!!

I also tried to e-mail their customer support. Two different e-mails both came back undeliverable.

Haven't received product yet. Make your own decision. Just wanted to give a heads up

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    WB Winter UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    I just posted about using CCF pads as an UQ in a separate thread.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...eferrerid=5277
    "Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything."
    ...Charles Kuralt

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    It used to be I couldn't figure out what people were talking about - bunching? I had a pretty stiff eggcrate blue CCF from Walmart. Then I got an evazote from Gossamer Gear, and said oooooooohh.

An inflatable thermarest about half inflated, or a stiffer CCF, will not bunch like the lighter foam. But then, it interferes with that hammock lay... but it's still not as uncomfortable as it would be on the ground.

An underquilt would certainly solve the problem. I'm looking at that Warbonnet with the snap in liner for a winter solution.

• + New Posts