Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Images

New to this hanging thing

Few questions before I buy this HH Expedition.

- is the ultra light worth the xtra $50?
    - does the hex fly provide good coverage for rain and wind (at least better than stock fly)?
    - if I go with the hex will it,1 store in the snake skins, 2 attach just like the standard rain fly?
    - if the hex does not meet above questions adequately can I use my go lite tarp tent for a rainfly? .I plan on carrying it just in case if I don't make the upgrade.

I am sure I will have more questions to come. I plan on doing section hikes,10-15 days at most. and using it for rescue deployments that I go on such as hurricane rescue and things like the Pentagon with the Fed. Govt. USAR Team.

Thanks ahead of time for replys

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Welcome to the site.

If saving extra ounces is important to you, then I'd go with the UL Backpacker. Not much real difference in how they sleep. I've used both.
    The hex fly would offer much better protection than the stock fly.
    The hex should fit well with the snakeskins. Might ask them what size you need. I'm thinking maybe #3 size.
    You'd want to attach the tarp separate from the hammock. Even with the stock tarp. You can use a separate snakeskin for the hex tarp and the hammock. One for each is what I do.
    Here is some info. from Just Jeffs site www.tothewoods.net about why you'd want to have it seperate from the hammock. Do check out this fine site:

# Tie the Tarp to the Tree - (AKA "Why does my HH tarp sag when I get in?"*).

At the risk of being accused of heresy, Tom Hennessy's design is only almost-perfect. He's got a great design with a minor flaw. When you attach the tarp to the hammock supports, it's nice and tight. When you sit in the hammock and it sags, the points where the tarp is attached become closer. When you decrease the distance between the secure points, the tarp sags. It's that easy. So how do you fix it?

Don't tie the tarp to the hammock supports, or use tarp tensioners as mentioned below. The JRB guys are pretty serious about this...it's kinda funny on whiteblaze.net or Sgt Rock's when people ask the same question over and over again (Why does my tarp sag when I get in?)...and they always give the same answer. I wonder why people don't read the archives before they ask questions.

The other big advantage to this is that you can set up your tarp before you take anything, even the hammock, out of your pack. You have a nice dry area to cook, set up camp, etc. Then when it's raining in the morning, you can pack everything up under the dry tarp, close your backpack, and take down the tarp last...just stick it in an outer pocket (you don't want a wet tarp in your bag anyway, right?

Brian MacMillin recommends using one HH tarp clip and tying the other end to the tree. That way you can adjust the tension as needed and the sagging effect is lessened.

*Some people don't have this problem...others say it happens every time.

# Tie the Tarp UNDER the Hammock Supports

It doesn't seem to make sense, but it works. When you set up, the tarp should be very close to the hammock. For a Hennessy, you can set up with the ridgeline actually touching the tarp. When you get in, the hammock will sag and the tarp will stay where it is (because you tied it to the trees), so the tarp will end up right where it needs to be for stormy weather. The best way to do this is to make sure the tarp connects to the tree below where the hammock connects to the tree.

Tying the tarp to the tree above the hammock supports will work...you'll just have more space between the hammock and tarp. This is great for ventilation in nice weather and light rain, but it makes it easier for windblown rain to wet the hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by BEAS View Post
    Few questions before I buy this HH Expedition.

- is the ultra light worth the xtra $50?
    - does the hex fly provide good coverage for rain and wind (at least better than stock fly)?
    - if I go with the hex will it,1 store in the snake skins, 2 attach just like the standard rain fly?
    - if the hex does not meet above questions adequately can I use my go lite tarp tent for a rainfly? .I plan on carrying it just in case if I don't make the upgrade.

I am sure I will have more questions to come. I plan on doing section hikes,10-15 days at most. and using it for rescue deployments that I go on such as hurricane rescue and things like the Pentagon with the Fed. Govt. USAR Team.

Thanks ahead of time for replys
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 02-10-2008 at 12:40.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    welcome to HF BEAS.
    i'm not so familiar w/ the HH but there are lots of others (like FanaticFirnger) that can help w/ those particular questions.
    BTW... i like your Additional Biography:
    Just finding ways to share God's creation with my family and friends.
    me too. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Now that was one fine and complete answer if I ever saw one...FanaticFringer! Even I would have understood it...a rarity here.

Miguel

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Welcome to the hanging gang.... And all this time I didn't think anyone was paying attention to the "Tie to the trees" answer.... Well put FF!!

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Images
    Im Impressed!!!!! Really! Good To Go Ff!!
    Chris Duke aka SWAMP FOOT

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Just Jeff is the one to be impressed with. I just posted from his site.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Images
    THANKS FOR THE HELP.
    I believe I will go with the expedition and pay for the upgrade to the hex fly and leave the tarp tent at home. I really don't think I will get a second set of snakeskins but might make one of the BB Bags. That seems more logical. Don't know?
    I guess my next dilemma will be the pad vs the underquilts or undercover or whatever I can spend money on. I really don't think I will get very cold I sleep in a cold environment most nights. I have a 20 degree bag and considering getting preacher wife to make me a quilt.

It's not about the hiking sometimes but about the gear I think.
    BEAS
    From the Great Southern state of
    TENNESSEE
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. General Robert E. Lee

Images
    [QUOTE=BEAS;49154]THANKS FOR THE HELP.
    I believe I will go with the expedition and pay for the upgrade to the hex fly and leave the tarp tent at home. I really don't think I will get a second set of snakeskins but might make one of the BB Bags. That seems more logical. Don't know?
    I guess my next dilemma will be the pad vs the underquilts or undercover or whatever I can spend money on. I really don't think I will get very cold I sleep in a cold environment most nights. I have a 20 degree bag and considering getting preacher wife to make me a quilt.

It's not about the hiking sometimes but about the gear I think.[/QUOTE]

Ahh spoken like a true hammocker.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAS View Post
    THANKS FOR THE HELP.
    0I guess my next dilemma will be the pad vs the underquilts or undercover or whatever I can spend money on. I really don't think I will get very cold I sleep in a cold environment most nights. I have a 20 degree bag and considering getting preacher wife to make me a quilt.

It's not about the hiking sometimes but about the gear I think.
    i hope you won't under estimate the need for something on the bottom (sides).
    even neo needs a 1/2" ccf pad when it gets into the single digits<g>.

but seriously, the cold on bottom may surprise even a warm sleeper when you're suspended in the air.
    it doesn't always take a lot, but it usually calls for some insulation.

it seems that most people need at least a pad or light under quilt when night temps drop much into the 60s.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast