Page 60 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Quote Originally Posted by SupraLance View Post
    Back on page 20 or so I saw the OP using bamboo, which seems to me it would be better suited for this. But I haven't read all the pages since then. Is there a reason bamboo was scrapped and emt is being tried now?
    I believe it was for the want of something that packs smaller.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Tensahedron Stand

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyWereBeast View Post
    I believe it was for the want of something that packs smaller.

I think good quality bamboo is still a bit of a search for some people, and while EMT is a little easier to find, “packs shorter” is really the correct phrase though that statement is still being tested...by me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by ylnfrt View Post
    It appears that the smooth connecter has a better fit with the 3/4" conduit and the waistline one is much looser? is this correct? Also with regards to your curved pole- check for hairline surface cracks. magnifying glass. if you find any I would replace that section. you might try inserting an appropriate sized dowel to reinforce the conduit. good luck
    They actually seem about the same. With the opposite pipe in and the screws tightened, they all were tight.

I’ll look at that section for hairline cracks. Thanks.

Hammock
    ZHammock inspired 2x layer 1.9oz
    Tarp
    12' GG or 9' Tyvek
    Insulation
    sleeping bag UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    Stumbled across this thread and have read with great interest about a quarter of the posts so far. I designed and built a stand just like this six years ago from 8’ 2 x 4’s and my carpenter neighbor helped me cut the complex angles for the base since they had to be flat for use indoors. My stand was joined/hinged at the top with long eye bolts which held the 2 x 4’s together and served as carabiner attachment points for my 11’ DYI double layer hammock. Unfortunately, I had stability issues and gave up on it.

I came up with the idea as a solution to the center beam/fall hazard issue with conventional indoor stands. The problem that I couldn’t overcome was that the hang was nearly identical to the equilibrium point. So if I sat up quickly or bounced, I could go above the equilibrium point putting downward tension on the stand and it would hinge at the base, swing upward and inward until they where vertical and I was laying on the ground. At least there wasn’t a center beam to fall on. :-)

So far, I’m struggling to see how y’all have overcome this issue, so lots more reading ahead and then I’ll have to go pull my original creation out and try to fix it. Any suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
    You'll find me hanging somewhere in the sunshine state.

Hammock
    a few DIY builds
    Tarp
    minifly (untested)
    Insulation
    CDT and EE Rev
    Suspension
    Straps so far
    Quote Originally Posted by sigma_pete View Post
    So if I sat up quickly or bounced, I could go above the equilibrium point putting downward tension on the stand and it would hinge at the base, swing upward and inward until they where vertical and I was laying on the ground.
    Did you have line attached to something for stability? Mine did the same without a secure line.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Quote Originally Posted by jdy98p View Post
    I think good quality bamboo is still a bit of a search for some people, and while EMT is a little easier to find, “packs shorter” is really the correct phrase though that statement is still being tested...by me.

Agreed... Patiently awaiting test results...

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Welcome to the discussion, sigma_pete. 3 questions: Do you have photos of the base apexes with the angles that your carpenter friend cut? Are you using the ground tether at the foot end that helps stability? Does your hammock have its own ridgeline (which finishes the stabilizing process, and makes a separate ridgeline for the stand unnecessary)?

Hammock
    Tarp
    12' GG or 9' Tyvek
    Insulation
    sleeping bag UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Welcome to the discussion, sigma_pete. 3 questions: Do you have photos of the base apexes with the angles that your carpenter friend cut? Are you using the ground tether at the foot end that helps stability? Does your hammock have its own ridgeline (which finishes the stabilizing process, and makes a separate ridgeline for the stand unnecessary)?
    (1) I don’t think I have photos. Can take some but it’ll have to wait until I get back from vacation. (2) Never really thought to tether, at least not in the sense you guys are doing. Instead, I had attached a piece of pvc pipe that friction fit over the eye bolt nuts and extended to the floor (kind of a third leg to limit tipping) but it would stick up in the air when empty and when loaded would flex under the weight. (3) Hammock has a ridge line and would be lightly tensioned by dead weight of 2 x 4’s and go taught when I sat/laid in hammock. Didn’t have a ridge line on the stand.

Hammock
    Tarp
    12' GG or 9' Tyvek
    Insulation
    sleeping bag UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    Still reading but sounds like gargoyle’s experience (post #88) might have been similar to what I experienced.

Also, I’m noticing some of the suspensions are longer than mine (continuous loops, about 6”+- from carabiner to gathered end). Maybe that extra foot or so others have is lowering the hammock enough to cancel the high center of gravity issue?

That and maybe gargoyle’s suggestion to have head end lower? Are you guys using a longer suspension on the head end to lower it?

Now I’m starting to look forward to experimenting with the stand again. Not as much as tree hanging with kids for spring break next week though.

Hammock
    DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Tensahedron Stand

Weekend deck test complete (though not a lengthy hang). The connectors did well today. Don’t know about longevity, but they feel like they should last a while.

Getting in the Tensa is a little tricky as previously mentioned. I found that sitting *right* on the bottom strap line seemed to work best and keep full tension off the stabilizer anchor (a post this time. Not a kettlebell). I also used a cheap 10’ hammock and not my 11’ Sparrow to test this time. I made a paracord ridgeline to hold the Tensa up while I arranged the hammock. This made things *much* easier, but you do have to remember to unhook at least one side before getting in or the balance doesn’t even out on the hammock ridgeline.

I did use a couple of short whoopies at the ends as short as they’d go. I found that having the hammock hooked to the poles directly was just too high. I may want a long base strap too. Being lower to the ground doesn’t seems like a bad thing in this case. Though right now, while I’m typing this, I’m only about 6” off my deck. Maybe I’ll just make a couple of longer continuous loops to add a little length and get me up a little more than the whoopies can get me.

Last edited by jdy98p; 03-24-2018 at 17:06.

• + New Posts
  • Page 60 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110 ... LastLast