Page 48 of 83 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    It's not likely to be the choice of backpackers. But of motorcyclists, paddlers, car campers, air travelers?

Make sure that the poles can fold in sections that are less than the maximum dimension of a carry-on baggage on airlines i.e. 22 in on AA, UA, and DL. Since there may be no pointy stakes involved in this setup, I can totally envision travelling without a checked bag for car-camping with the hammock and this stand.

Minos

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch

Tensahedron Stand

Did a quick prototype of this stand using (4) 8í 2x2s and some mule tape. So simple, so efficient, super impressed. Now just need it to figure out how to get it smaller so it fits in the Jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by brianb; 01-28-2018 at 16:58.
    some people call me the space cowboy, some call me the gangster of love, some people call me maurice

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Nice, BrianB! Might be an optical illusion, but i'm surprised to see what looks to me a fairly shallow hang angle when I don't see the head end guyed (limited photo res?). Normally the poles and hammock reach equilibrium when the same angle roughly.

Most opt for a structural ridgeline either as part of the stand or hammock to minimize the amount of pole movement between unloaded and loaded states, but if that doesn't bother you, it's certainly no requirement.

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Normally the poles and hammock reach equilibrium
    Yeah, optical illusion. They evened out as expected. Agree on the ridge line, I grabbed this hammock from a gear box and it didnít have one attached.

I saw one of your vids where you made a similar setup. What do you think if I cut the 8í in half and use a door hinge and some type of latch to attach them together? That or use a piece of square metal pipe as a collar where they meet. 1-2í long. Not sure yet. Both easily tested so both may get a shot. Gravity may not be in my side, but itíll be good fun.

some people call me the space cowboy, some call me the gangster of love, some people call me maurice

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    Yeah, optical illusion. They evened out as expected. Agree on the ridge line, I grabbed this hammock from a gear box and it didnít have one attached.

I saw one of your vids where you made a similar setup. What do you think if I cut the 8í in half and use a door hinge and some type of latch to attach them together? That or use a piece of square metal pipe as a collar where they meet. 1-2í long. Not sure yet. Both easily tested so both may get a shot. Gravity may not be in my side, but itíll be good fun.

Youíre on track to finding out!

--
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4 tensahedron hammock stand, and the Tensa Solo ultralight flavor too.
    http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    It's quite stable loaded. You can always stake the other end if you like: it just isn't necessary. Since the staking is only managing balance, not bearing the hammock load, it can also just be tied to a rock or something: small forces...
    Well, since your upper body is a good deal heavier than lower, as long as your head is toward the lowered end it's hard to upset. You can hang a pack on the head apex if you want to stabilize further, or even guy it. I was thinking of hamming it up for video by donning some clown shoes stashed in the hammock and deliberately sitting on the foot-end side of the base strap, which would cause it to tip, and my clown shoes to go straight up as my butt plummeted to the ground.
    Now that I understand the principle better, owing to your clear explanation, I kind of want to see the entry/exit blooper reel from your video footage. I cannot be alone...

But seriously, a very cool idea. I hope to see more of its continuing development here.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I want to DIY this stand but I'm stuck at a training exercise so I made this mini Tensahedron stand using rolled up index cards, 550 inner strands, and a cut up PX bag. I can't wait to make a full size one! I really hope it'll fit in my barracks room...

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by efassyawla View Post
    I want to DIY this stand but I'm stuck at a training exercise so I made this mini Tensahedron stand using rolled up index cards, 550 inner strands, and a cut up PX bag. I can't wait to make a full size one! I really hope it'll fit in my barracks room..
    Thatís awesome

Thats just cool but in the real world I think you want to anchor the shorter set of legs per original posts/ pics of this. IIRC
    I don't know if it really makes a difference - I'll have to try mine ?

Pretty cool project.

• + New Posts
  • Page 48 of 83 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast