Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    You will most likely not be happy on the ground after 2 months hanging from the trees.
    That is exactly what my brother did on his AT thru-hike. And for the same reason (a girl he met on the trail). He started his hike with a HH and used it until he made it to Damascus(?) and then used a GoLite Cave 2 (basically a Ray-way tarp) the rest of the way. He has since sold his hammock.
    Yellow Jacket

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Don't forget about instant mashed potatoes on the Trail and copious amounts of ice cream when in town!
    Good grief, I've seen it. A quart of Rocky Road is considered a single serving.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Thanks for your responses, everybody.

@ Cannibal
    It's good to hear that the Vertex does work well. It looks comfortable and fancy. It's definitely way out of my price range, though. $540 plus everything I'd need for the two months I'm on my own plus different tarps for the Vertex = fiduciary hemorrhage.
    And we are a very compatible couple; we get along fine in most uncomfortable situations and have slept reasonably comfortably for a few weeks on a tiny, tiny youth single bed once in Norway.
    We probably would be more comfortable in our own hammocks, but I think we both like the idea of sharing one better.

@BER
    I do like the idea of making my own hammock, though I have no idea where to start and I doubt I could come up with something as high quality as the BB.

@tomsawyer
    that's very good news to hear. I'd definitely prefer to use only one hammock, especially something that I can use myself for the first two months and easily keep using once my girlfriend joins. Could you describe the fit and comfort level of the BB in the summer? Would we hate each other just from the three months of sleeping in that hammock, or would we sleep like rocks every night? Or somewhere in between?

Thanks!
    Last edited by neonblackjack; 02-05-2010 at 10:55. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by tlbj6142 View Post
    That is exactly what my brother did on his AT thru-hike. And for the same reason (a girl he met on the trail). He started his hike with a HH and used it until he made it to Damascus(?) and then used a GoLite Cave 2 (basically a Ray-way tarp) the rest of the way. He has since sold his hammock.
    Do you remember why he sold his hammock? Why he re-evolved from tree-dweller to terrestrial? Always for the females, I guess...

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I totally agree, but are you and your girlfriend sleeping that way every night for months at a time? I spent the first two weeks my girlfriend was with me on the AT sleeping double with her. I was thrilled to get back into my ElDorado...alone. We slept together on and off for the next month. I'm a good heater. It's great for a few nights, but unless both people sleep like logs there is just too much going on to really get a solid night's rest. Again JMO, but it's the opinion formed by someone who has tried it.

Ummmm. I have to point out that one of the most popular pastimes on the AT is "Fart Baseball". There's a good reason for that and I sure wouldn't want to be the one in the lower hammock.
    Actually cannibal i have my traveller set up right now in my house

it is our bed full time..... has been for 2 years now..... experience i have! lol

so my opinion is also formed by someone who has tried it and is trying it still

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsawyer222 View Post
    Actually cannibal i have my traveller set up right now in my house

it is our bed full time..... has been for 2 years now..... experience i have! lol

so my opinion is also formed by someone who has tried it and is trying it still
    Two of you are sleeping in a Traveler...full-time? I take back what I said then.
    You're a better man than I. Genuine Draft and I sleep double about 2 or 3 nights a week and in much larger hammocks. I can't deal with it much more than that.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by neonblackjack View Post
    Thanks for your responses, everybody.

@ Cannibal
    It's good to hear that the Vertex does work well. It looks comfortable and fancy. It's definitely way out of my price range, though. $540 plus everything I'd need for the two months I'm on my own plus different tarps for the Vertex = fiduciary hemorrhage.
    And we are a very compatible couple; we get along fine in most uncomfortable situations and have slept reasonably comfortably for a few weeks on a tiny, tiny youth single bed once in Norway.
    We probably would be more comfortable in our own hammocks, but I think we both like the idea of sharing one better.

@BER
    I do like the idea of making my own hammock, though I have no idea where to start and I doubt I could come up with something as high quality as the BB.

@tomsawyer
    that's very good news to hear. I'd definitely prefer to use only one hammock, especially something that I can use myself for the first two months and easily keep using once my girlfriend joins. Could you describe the fit and comfort level of the BB in the summer? Would we hate each other just from the three months of sleeping in that hammock, or would we sleep like rocks every night? Or somewhere in between?

Thanks!
    In the summer you will need much less insulation then normal to keep from sweating i would advise both people being fully clothed in at least long sleeves and long pants at night it helps in the heat.

as long as you use a quilt or a sleeping bag opened like a quilt you should be able to vent really well

The fit is still really comfy but you have to decide who wants to be on the inside normally the person who does not make the midnight pee trip if both people do then should try to go before bed will help (thats good advice even if your by your self) In the BB with two people the shelf will be not so useful with heavy stuff in it so keep it to just basics. Also you can get one underquilt for both of you and one top quilt same money and weight. I dont know how big either of you are so that can change things too.

you dont have to worry about "fart baseball" sounds kinda childish anyway people stink when they hike big deal if your worried wear wool clothes it will help that.

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    If you slept in a single bed with both of you you should be good as far as space is concerned in the hammock you just have to get you hang right so the curve does not get you.

It will be better then sleeping on the ground no matter what you do.

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Two of you are sleeping in a Traveler...full-time? I take back what I said then.
    You're a better man than I. Genuine Draft and I sleep double about 2 or 3 nights a week and in much larger hammocks. I can't deal with it much more than that.
    The traveller is a really big hammock when you think about it. and when you use it the way brandon whips the ends allows you to use the full width of it unlike an ENO hammock

Quote Originally Posted by neonblackjack View Post
    Do you remember why he sold his hammock? Why he re-evolved from tree-dweller to terrestrial?
    I only recently found out he sold it and didn't ask him why. From past conversations, I think he found the setup too much of a bother and most of the time he's hiking with someone else and they share a shelter. For a large part of his AT hike he slept in shelters anyway. I wouldn't be too surprised to find out he only used his hammock 10-20 nights. And probably his Cave2 just as many, if not less (the farther north you hike the most space there is in shelters).

I think that some hammockers forget that some people are actually comfortable on the ground. It is not like comfort and ground sleeping are mutual exclusive for everyone. And, for some hammock sleeping isn't all that comfortable (primarily due to knee hyper-extension pain, using a pad rather than a UQ results in a sweaty back and/or cold spots on the shoulders/elbows, etc.).
    Yellow Jacket

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast