WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings

Packing Hammock, Tarp, TQ, and UQ as a Single Unit

I am going on a rafting trip on the Middle Fork Salmon River next June. Weight will not be a big issue since the gear will not have to be packed in, like I did in the Grand Canyon. I am pleased with ease and speed of my tarp setups for both hammocks. However, it seems like breaking down and stuffing the UQ/TQ, and then re-attaching them, is a little time consuming. I will be repeating the process for 6 nights.

Since everything will be going into dry bags, I am considering leaving the UQ/TQ, in/on the hammock and reefing it along with the tarp. If the weather is iffy, I may just tie it up and keep the tarp seperate, to be able to establish a shelter more quickly. Then stuff everything as a single unit into a dry bag as opposed to several smaller stuff sacks.

Any comments or ideas are appreciated.

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler, hh ULBP mod2 2qzq
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images
    My rig goes into one bag, e vent compression bag. WBBB,MTW4,ORM all fit nicely into the large size. Even if the weather is nice, I always seem to have condensation or moisture of some sort on my tarps in the AM so they never go into same bag with my quilts or hammock. Also, as you have stated if the weather is iffy, it is nice to have quick access to the tarp. GL

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    If you do that, plan for the hammock suspension to be removable (like ring/cinch buckles perhaps) so that a wet suspension won't get stowed with the rest. Otherwise, it should work fine.

I considered stuffing everything together, but decided not to. I have gotten in the habit of stuffing my top-quilt into it's sack before I ever leave the hammock in the morning. And my partial-uq deploys/stuffs in just a few seconds.

Agree with storing the tarp separately, in all weather.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Good points on the tarp and the suspension. I know that it is important not to introduce any moisture into the dry bags, especially with the bedding.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear

Detachable Suspension

I just tried this, and it's slick...AHE biner to AHE cinch buckle...amsteel loop stays with the hammock.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I almost always stuff my hammock, UQ and TQ into the same blackbishop bag. I throw my TQ over the hammock ridgeline when I wake up and make breakfast so it can dry out a little, then pack it all up.

I ALWAYS store the tarp separately...not necessarily b/c it might have some condensation on it (though that is a valid point) but b/c I might have to set up in the rain later. I put it in the outer mesh pocket of my pack (no skins or stuffsack) so I can string it up w/o even opening the pack.

One change I made recently and am still tinkering with...I used to put the hammock/UQ/TQ into my pack first, so it sits on the bottom and opens the pack up. That makes for a very stable load, and since I use a frameless pack the part touching my hips/lower back was always soft. Then I realized that when setting up camp, everything else was in the way. In muddy weather, I had to pull out my food, clothes, etc...and try to hold them up out of the mud while I got the hammock out, then put them all back in w/o dropping anything, then set upt the hammock, etc. Now I put clothes on bottom, food bag next, then hammock, then any light insulation I might need for rest breaks, then snack bag with that day's lunch. Makes setup much easier, and the load balance/stability is still acceptable.

But...no problems storing the hammock/UQ/TQ in the same bag. Recommend storing your tarp separately in a place where you don't have to unpack anything until after you set it up.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Do you tie or cinch everything together before stuffing it?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Nope - the UQ is already attached, and I just leave the TQ inside the hammock. If it's summer, the bug net is closed to keep everything in there. In winter when I don't have a bug net, I just fold the edges of the hammock together and try to make sure it gets in there, then make sure it doesn't hit the ground next time I set up. No special process...just stuff it carefully. That time savings and simplicity is why I do it. Plus I have to carry one less stuffsack. And since I no longer use a sack or skins for the tarp, that's two items gone from my pack.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Depending on your situation, you may not need to remove suspension lines, even if wet. Stuff so the two ends of the hammock are at the top, then lead the suspension lines out of the bag and secure so they can dry.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That's who I do it, too...with the BB bag, one suspension is coming out the bottom of the bag and I just let the other hang out the top, then wrap them both around the bag.

If everything is dry (and with no tree sap) I'll stuff them both inside the BB bag.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast