Hammock
    SB Pro / SlingRings
    Tarp
    10x10 w/ Fig. 9's
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    1" PloyPro Straps
    There, but for the grace of God, go I. None so blind as though who will not see. I do look down on ground-dwellers....while lying above them in my hammock (all said in jest)

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    "Do you feel superior in any kind of way over those who grovel on the ground? "

only in the morning!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    When i find something that makes things work better for me i try and share it.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    I do. I seriously wonder why they would still sleep on the ground. I always think to myself that if they would just try it...

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Lori homed in on some of my feelings/experiences....i've been hanging right at 7 years now and plenty of opportunity to 'get the look' over than many miles/parks/hikes/paddles...Interestingly it's not in the Nat.Parks or the State Parks (the ones that would let me hang), but on the trail AND specifically the AT. For those who know White Blaze and the spirit of pure hiking then you've got an idea of where I'm taking the thread to.
    A lot of people seem to think that I'm cheating by hanging-can you believe it? Or even that hiking is supposed to be roughing it, like its supposed to hurt!
    There is extant in the world of psychology a syndrome where if I'm hurting you are supposed to as well, if you don't then you surely consider yourself superior.
    The first of the thread was do we consider ourselves superior...well I'm sure few of us would in any sincerity....but humble me thinks that ground dwellers think we do if only because we choose not to carry their cross.
    Can I hear an amen from the peanut gallery?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images

Cheating

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Lori homed in on some of my feelings/experiences....i've been hanging right at 7 years now and plenty of opportunity to 'get the look' over than many miles/parks/hikes/paddles...Interestingly it's not in the Nat.Parks or the State Parks (the ones that would let me hang), but on the trail AND specifically the AT. For those who know White Blaze and the spirit of pure hiking then you've got an idea of where I'm taking the thread to.
    A lot of people seem to think that I'm cheating by hanging-can you believe it? Or even that hiking is supposed to be roughing it, like its supposed to hurt!
    There is extant in the world of psychology a syndrome where if I'm hurting you are supposed to as well, if you don't then you surely consider yourself superior.
    The first of the thread was do we consider ourselves superior...well I'm sure few of us would in any sincerity....but humble me thinks that ground dwellers think we do if only because we choose not to carry their cross.
    Cheating?! That's funny. You'll have to tell 'em it's not a competition. I don't feel superior but incredibly comfortable and not sore in the morning.

For me, it's made getting out even more enjoyable. It's also fun to fiddle with the gear! Seems like there's so many variations one can mess with when you have a hammock and tarp and alky stove etc.

Randy
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    well not 'pure' in the sense that i'm in a tent and if not pure than somehow I'm trying to beat the system, or skip a blaze!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    It's funny some people think I'm the one roughing it in my hammock! My cousin Vinnie put it best when he first tried my hammock, he said "You spend all day camping compressing yourself verticaly, then all night in a tent compressing yourself horizontaly, but in a hammock you're decompressing...Where did you get this? ...how much was it?
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    HH EXP-ASYM CAMO
    Tarp
    HH ASYM CAMO
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That was deep. Amen, Sir!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    Zpack's H. Tarp
    Insulation
    Summer Crowsnest
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Do you feel superior in any kind of way over those who grovel on the ground?
    I wouldn't say "superior", but I think I know what you're saying. I remember a class back in Jr. High Science when I suddenly understood a difficult concept and knew I had gotten it before everybody else. I didn't feel any better than my classmates, just a little proud that this mediocre student had the light-bulb moment first.
    "Every minute outside ... is a good minute!" -> Calvin & Hobbes, 8/1/1993

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast