Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle

Test setup, HH with SnugPak UQ & Beetles, general observations...

I received my HH Explorer back from 2Q2Z today and I wanted to set it up on the new suspension... along with the UQ's new suspension. I had end channels added to the UQ and I wanted to see how it all for together.

I'm in an apartment for now, so I'm having to rely on the balcony posts to hang my suspension on. The only foot end attachment point is at least 10' up, so I set the dyneema strap vertically, and tied off the bottom to the handrail. At the other end, used the vertical post as I would a tree. On both ends of the hammock, I ran the straps through an old bike tire tube for protection and grip.

First things first... mod #4 and 2Q2Z's craftsmanship is excellent. I'm going to love both top entry and laying with the bugnet pulled up.

At the head end, I had my Beetle Buckle attached at the strap with the non-working end of the strap hanging loose, and the buckle actually slipped when I sat on the hammock... I thought that wasn't supposed to happen. I'll have to figure out what to do with that loose end of the strap. For tonight, I just wrapped it four times around the loop at the post. The foot end, the vertical strap, was fairly taut on both sides of the buckle and it didn't slip one bit.

For the UQ, I used S-biners on the long side (main) shock cords and connected them at the gathered ends. I found that I got the best seal at the ends by hooking the new end-channel shock cords up over the ridgeline using two-piece cord locks. It's not an elegant solution, though, and I'm a little worried (if only a little) about wear on the bugnet as it's rubbed between the ridgeline and the cord lock. In the photo, the bugnet is bagged up at the foot end:

Other than the buckle slippage and figuring out the UQ suspension--and forgetting my suspension sack in the hammock until after I stashed it away--I think this is going to work just fine for me. In particular, using the multi-buckles to attach the tarp to the suspension is slick (see red shock cord in 2nd photo). It's a solid attachment point that adjusts really quickly.

Any input on any of this is welcome! I've read through the SP UQ thread about all the suspension mods. I figured the end channel was the right place to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HH Expl UL, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Beetles n straps
    I have my HH changed over to CLs and use the Beetles and Dyneema webbing as well. I think the trick to the beetles is to make absolutely sure the webbing goes in and back out of the buckles in a straight path and then pull on the CL to snug it all up. I think mine slipped as well one night, lowering me half the distance to the ground. Since then I pay extra attention to making sure the webs pass straight through the beetles and no more problems
    Nec Aspera Terrent
    Lightfighter

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Quote Originally Posted by Badweissenbier View Post
    I think the trick to the beetles is to make absolutely sure the webbing goes in and back out of the buckles in a straight path and then pull on the CL to snug it all up.
    So, more like my first photo... except horizontal (or 30-ish degrees)? If so, yeah, I could just pull the loose end of the strap down to the peak of the hammock and tuck it somewhere.

I noticed that the hook end of the Beetle grabs the CL so tightly that even if you slide them onto the hook off-center, it'll hold that way, at least until the hammock is loaded. What mean is, it'll hold the CL with one side tight, and the other slack. I'm using 1/8" amsteel CLs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HH Expl UL, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Beetles n straps
    Actually more like your 2nd photo(where the strap parallels itself coming out) is what i meant, not going through in a slant so to speak.
    Definitely beetles grab the CLs pretty good, so they could contribute to some side type loading. I'm keeping a close eye on my CLs for wear just because of that.
    I think any misalignment could cause some slippage. Not sure but that's my guess
    Nec Aspera Terrent
    Lightfighter

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Yeah, I think I took that 2nd photo before getting into the hammock, and I didn't touch the suspension in between... so it slipped, as shown. Although the Beetle does grab the CL off-center if you let it, I was careful to align it before jumping in, so I don't think side-loading was a contributing factor. The buckle slid maybe 3-4 inches when I sat down. Who knows... I'll probably give it another try over the weekend and see if I can find the problem.

Hammock
    HH Expl UL, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Beetles n straps
    Looking and rereading your post, I would expect the beetle to slide down tying up like you have in the first picture. With the strap being pulled tight up and down the beetle can't pinch the strap as it enters and leaves, this pinch builds the friction needed to hold as the strap locks back on itself which is how they work.
    Nec Aspera Terrent
    Lightfighter

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Yeah, I think that the slight horizontal tilt of the buckle brought on by connecting the hammock was enough to give that Beetle some grip. It didn't budge. I didn't tie the bottom down for this reason; I did it to eliminate any horizontal movement of the strap. Otherwise, I would have ended up with a severely cock-eyed hang angle.

• + New Posts