Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Nylon Webbing=Bad, Polyester Webbing=Good.
    What is the reasoning behind this? I am new to a lot of this but very interested in making my own gear.

nylon stretches a lot more than polyester

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images

Post Heat reflective silnylon

Hi all,

First post here at Hammock Forums and hoping to contribute a bit. I just bought an HH Hyperlight and am embarked on the underquilt project that seems to be order #1 for every new hanger. I've used several of the suppliers already listed (especially Thru-hiker for Primaloft One and light-weight nylon) but I've found one other fabric supplier of use recently that isn't listed here; Seattle Fabrics. They carry an interesting and useful fabric for underquilts (as well as some otherwise useful stuff like neoprene); a heat and solar reflective 1.3oz ripstop that I'm using as a shell fabric on my underquilt. I'll post on the project as I start to get some of it assembled. The stuff looks pretty neat (kind of aluminum silver-grey) and definitely reflects heat.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat. -- Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Welcome to the forum Strategic. I had wondered about the heat reflective ripstop when I first saw it.Can't wait to see pics of your project.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    http://thru-hiker.com/index.html
    and if I were at home I would have a gang more.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i'm heading out the door shortly for a couple nights in the mountains (sort of a short notice trip), but maybe by the time i get back sun eve, yall will have a new article on DIY sources<g>. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Strategic View Post
    Hi all,

First post here at Hammock Forums and hoping to contribute a bit. I just bought an HH Hyperlight and am embarked on the underquilt project that seems to be order #1 for every new hanger. I've used several of the suppliers already listed (especially Thru-hiker for Primaloft One and light-weight nylon) but I've found one other fabric supplier of use recently that isn't listed here; Seattle Fabrics. They carry an interesting and useful fabric for underquilts (as well as some otherwise useful stuff like neoprene); a heat and solar reflective 1.3oz ripstop that I'm using as a shell fabric on my underquilt. I'll post on the project as I start to get some of it assembled. The stuff looks pretty neat (kind of aluminum silver-grey) and definitely reflects heat.
    I submitted your link to be added Links Directory under Materials. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your underquilt!

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Hi all,

You might want to reconsider Primaloft for your quilt. There are other products out there that have better weight/insulation values and are also more stable. I think it's a good choice for clothing, but I'd go with something continuous filament for a quilt.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    that stuff is not sil, just pu coated, i looked at some too, might work for what you're thinking about using it for, it's not breathable though. i would also like to add that in my opinion s.f. is a total ripoff, you can generally find the same stuff at owf or quest for a fraction of the price. for instance, silnylon from s.f was 10.50/yd last time i checked, little plastic cord locks are 3-4 times as expensive as most places, everything is way more there than anywhere else, and they don't give volume discounts for buying 15-20 yards like owf and quest do. they do have a large selection though, also, havent seen that heat reflective ripstop anywhere else.

Hi all,

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast