Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
    I actually think (or hope) that the cord and the foot controller was in ok shape....but just dirty/dusty....but I will need to inspect it all closely and make sure it is pliable, non cracking, etc...and inspect I suppose inside the motor to ensure it is clean/neat connection....I fear when I do that it will look bad...but we shall see...
    Another source of parts: http://shop.sew-classic.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post
    I say go ahead and do the deed. My wife collects certain Singer machines for quilting and they are all rock solid and designed to run forever with the right amount of TLC. I use her 301 for all my DIY stuff and it's built well and is super easy to use. Hopefully, the 201 you're looking at has all the extra bits that originally came with it.
    My wife is a quilter too. She loves her 301s and 221s.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    What do you see on squidbilly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

A couple comments:

- great machine/model, if in decent shape
    - definitely not aluminum
    - I would imagine it’s not near as “fiddly” as a new one
    - only does straight stitch (and reverse) but can do it very well. YMMV and some want more stitches eventually

I set mine up with hand crank and love it (that’s definitely not for everyone, but also eliminates need for fixing power cord...)

Check out this site for more info on cleaning/maintaining : http://vssmb.blogspot.com/search/label/201-2

As far as is this particular one is good for you, I guess only you can gauge that.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post
    A couple comments:

- great machine/model, if in decent shape
    - definitely not aluminum
    - I would imagine it’s not near as “fiddly” as a new one
    - only does straight stitch (and reverse) but can do it very well. YMMV and some want more stitches eventually

I set mine up with hand crank and love it (that’s definitely not for everyone, but also eliminates need for fixing power cord...)

Check out this site for more info on cleaning/maintaining : http://vssmb.blogspot.com/search/label/201-2

As far as is this particular one is good for you, I guess only you can gauge that.
    My new brother bought last year is quite easy to use ....choosing various stitches is extremely easy.

I only need a good straight stitch machine to my options for relatively heavier stuff - I think my brother will have a shorter life sewing webbing or cordura etc.

I hope to have the singer be my go to if it stitches like i hope it does and my brother for zig zag, button holes, hemming foot, etc etc.

I’m pretty psyched - dying to get it going

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Old Singers FTW!! Most of them can last forever...

Nice neighbor to give you the machine and show you how to clean/maintain it!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Make sure you show us some stitch lines once you get it up and running nicely.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Make sure you show us some stitch lines once you get it up and running nicely.
    Will do!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
    What do you see on squidbilly?

I do most of my sewing on a treadled Necchi Supernova BF. (straight stitch only)20160221_113737_resized.jpg

I have a Necchi Supernova BU (zig zag) set up with Ray Way thread for doing bar tacks in webbing.

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DynaGlide UCRs
    Yea, I use a Singer Sewmate and it took a beating on my pack build, albeit it survived and got the job done. This was my first pack, just finished it last week, and I'll tell you it's a blast. It has its challenges, but man, working with heavier materials is sooooo nice after sewing on 7d-20d whispy stuff.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    A few comments on previous replies...

As stated...a Singer 201 is cast iron, not an aluminum alloy.

It probably just needs cleaned and oiled.

The 201 stitch length controller has a stop you can set to maintain a uniform stitch length in forward and reverse so there is no fussing around going between the two.

Murphy's Oil Soap is a soap, not an oil and should be fine to clean the cabinet. Use a dampened sponge rather than a soaking wet one so any areas the finish has rubbed off of don't get saturated with water (the surface is veneered and you don't want to lift it). Dilute and use per directions. Howard Restor-A-Finish will bring back the beauty of the wood with a quick and easy wipe down.

Alcohol is great for removing dried oil from the gears and pivots but will remove the black (and clear shellac top coat) finish from the outside of the machine. Odorless mineral spirits is a better choice to clean the finish.

Singer 201's are not slant shank machines.

As previously stated, http://shop.sew-classic.com/Singer-2...-Parts_c36.htm is a great place to buy misc. parts like bobbin winder tires, presser feet and electronic speed controllers for old Singers. If the machine will not start at a slow crawl and advance smoothly to top speed, get the electronic speed controller which also will not heat up like the original controller when operated at low speeds for a long period.

Also a good source for rewiring a 201 as well as how to clean and grease (and what to use) the grease wicks that most owners aren't even aware exist...http://vssmb.blogspot.com/search/label/Rewire

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast